Managing tablets remotely , what should I do?

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Mum started using the dosett boxes a few months ago.
The last couple of weeks she's been a bit hot and miss taking the tablets at the right time.
When I visited yesterday , Tuesday, she had already taken Wednesday morning tablets. Not too bad a thing.

However she has just phoned to say she now has no morning tablets left this week , she was asking if she had to start taking them again in the new box.

This means that within 24 hours she has taken 4 lots of tablets - folic acid, fruesimide (pressure/water?), Sertraline (anxiety). Now that I do find worrying especially after her couple of falls a few months ago

So, any advice on what I can do? My thoughts are to phone social services in the morning (not yet contacted) or speak to the local Alzheimer's lady.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
The last couple of weeks she's been a bit hot and miss taking the tablets at the right time.
When I visited yesterday , Tuesday, she had already taken Wednesday morning tablets. Not too bad a thing.

However she has just phoned to say she now has no morning tablets left this week , she was asking if she had to start taking them again in the new box.

This means that within 24 hours she has taken 4 lots of tablets - folic acid, fruesimide (pressure/water?), Sertraline (anxiety). Now that I do find worrying especially after her couple of falls a few months ago

So, any advice on what I can do? My thoughts are to phone social services in the morning (not yet contacted) or speak to the local Alzheimer's lady.
When my MIL forgot tablets, it got to the point where she needed prompting. The only way I'm afraid was to get carers in

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I numbered the paper squares on the back of the dosett boxes with felt tip pen and when he was due to take the medication I phoned my friend and told him which number box to open.. it wasn’t perfect but it worked quite well.
The other option is to get an alarmed pill dispenser but then somebody has to load it.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have to physically get dads pills out the night before and put them on his bed side cabinet. He gets in a mess if he does it himself.

It works because he takes them when he gets up and I can check that he has had them. It means I have to be there twice everyday but as I am there anyway it is ok. He takes all of his pills in the morning even his donepzil which he is supposed to take at night.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
My mother also couldn't manage her medication and ended up over and under dosing on prescription and over the counter meds. It was a mess. It was only solved when she went into the care home and had supervision.

The automatic dispensers are a great invention and I looked into these but it didn't work out. They can't ensure that someone actually take the pills.

Whatever you do, I'd make sure the extra pills are in a secure and locked container or safe, and that you also remove or lock up all non prescription medicines as well. Best wishes.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Many years ago..we try everything with mum..but she literally could not remember if she took then..took to many carers came..but then she refused them of carers..good luck with this..as we found it reslly hard.xxc

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Hi, my mum is diabetic and her tablet taking became very random, I too found dosset boxes hidden all over the house, part emptied. It all came to a head when she ended up in hospital. Since discharge she has 3 carers a day to ensure she takes all her medication regularly ( since then she has been much more settled).
In an attempt to drop the carers her social worker did suggest an automatic dispenser, this wasn't any good for her but might help.
It was a weekly box, filled and delivered by the local pharmacy. at the designated time an alarm sounded and automatically opened to release the medication, if not taken it then closed after a certain number of minutes.
It would have been supplied free of charge and delivered by a company who would explain to me/mum exactly how it worked.

Last edited:

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
We used the automatic pill dispenser successfully for about 4 years, then that became too much for mum too.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I found the automatic “cat feeder” type dispenser worked well for dad for about 18 months before he started ignoring the alarm but even after that we managed for another 6 months with someone going in everyday to check he had taken his pills.

Another thing we did (with his gp’s agreement) was have all his pills taken together in the morning so we only had to visit once a day at that stage.

Nia

Nov 29, 2018

Hi
When my mum got to this stage we had Social Services come and access her and now she has district nurses that come in twice a day morning and evening and give her medicine. It works great and it is usually the same nurses which makes it easier for my mum. We have a lock box outside the door which has a house key and a key for a locked cupboard in the kitchen.
They make sure that she has the medication she needs and dosset boxes come from the chemist and get locked in the cupboard and they also make sure once given the medication that she takes it.
Good Luck

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi
When my mum got to this stage we had Social Services come and access her and now she has district nurses that come in twice a day morning and evening and give her medicine. It works great and it is usually the same nurses which makes it easier for my mum. We have a lock box outside the door which has a house key and a key for a locked cupboard in the kitchen.
They make sure that she has the medication she needs and dosset boxes come from the chemist and get locked in the cupboard and they also make sure once given the medication that she takes it.
Good Luck
I agree. I think that's more or less the only foolproof way to guarantee that all medication is taken, the right dose and on time.