severe alz and shingles?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Should we be worried? Will the pain last a long time, make alz worse, will it wear her out?She had a seizure which may have come about about from the shingles.

Shes in a fair amount of pain-shes on Neurontin, Valtrex and solpadeine

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Shingles can be difficult on it's own so I would think that it's likely to make things more severe on the dementia front.

Don't be afraid to ask the GP and SS for help if needed.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Shingles can be difficult on it's own so I would think that it's likely to make things more severe on the dementia front.

Don't be afraid to ask the GP and SS for help if needed.

thanks, will do.

Never thought of shingles. we didn't catch them in time, didn't know what they were. Feel so guilty. Shes in quite a bit of pain.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Easily missed.

I wouldn't feel guilty.

My wife had an attack a couple of years ago and it was just by luck that we caught it in time for some anti viral meds to work.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I don’t think any of those pain killers are specifically for nerve pain, which is what shingles is. Get the gp to give you something more specific. Shingles pain can be really bad and last months.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I don’t think any of those pain killers are specifically for nerve pain, which is what shingles is. Get the gp to give you something more specific. Shingles pain can be really bad and last months.

I thought Neurontin was?Gp hasn't rang back, must call again. I might try the consultant to see would he see her also.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
What’s the drug name, gabapentine, progabalin is OK. and something else whose name I can’t remember!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Neurontin and Gabapentine are the same drug and are used for nerve pain in shingles.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And a timely reminder for people to get the vaccination.

At my surgery it is only available to people of certain ages.

My mother had shingles when she had dementia and was hospitalised. No one had any idea because she was unable to make her needs known. It was 19 years ago so I hope recognition is better now.

I hope your mother`s pain can be controlled.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
NHS guidance is that you can have the vaccination if aged 70 or 78. You can have it at any time of the year as soon as you turn 70 or 78 and it is not given to those over 80 as it would be less effective. I think there is some flexibilty though. In my Mum's case she got it aged 73. I think everyone in the care home who were over 70 and had not already had the vaccination were given it at the same time.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I wasn’t able to have the jab cos I’d had shingles within the previous year. I’m not sure if I can have it when it’s a year since the shingles appeared, or when the spots eventually disappeared. About 9 months difference!