Don't know what to do!

Kenbob

Jan 11, 2019
my wife says she want's to go to the toilet she say's she has been but has not.
I am worried about constipation and hold urine for too long.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
my wife says she want's to go to the toilet she say's she has been but has not.
I am worried about constipation and hold urine for too long.

Hi @Kenbob and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your wife is experiencing these problems. If you're concerned about her right now it might be best to phone NHS on 111 and talk to some tonight.

Kenbob

Jan 11, 2019
Hi @Kenbob and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your wife is experiencing these problems. If you're concerned about her right now it might be best to phone NHS on 111 and talk to some tonight.
Thank you for the advice is this common with Alzheimer's sufferers?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband certainly suffered from urine retention and he had to be catheterised.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
Yes, constipation is common but also urine tract infection. Warm drinks aid movement within the gut. Try 111.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Prolonged urine retention can be serious, ring 111 and tell them how long since urine passed

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland
Try getting her into a nice warm bath, it might start the urine flowing, worked for my son when he had a problem as a child. Good luck

petals

Jan 20, 2012
Do you think she is confused due to memory problems. Sometimes people with dementia will be convinced that they have done something when they have not. If she can be supported to visit the toilet and when she is on the toilet seat, you can run the tap fir a while which might help her use the toilet. Drinking water throughout the day might help. I am sorry I was not sure if you stated that she has dementia.

Kenbob

Jan 11, 2019
Do you think she is confused due to memory problems. Sometimes people with dementia will be convinced that they have done something when they have not. If she can be supported to visit the toilet and when she is on the toilet seat, you can run the tap fir a while which might help her use the toilet. Drinking water throughout the day might help. I am sorry I was not sure if you stated that she has dementia.
Thankyou for the reply,no worries I should have put she has a diagnosis of probable moderate Alzheimer's

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Kenbob

My wife is mainly incontinent, which I try to manage by ensuring she goes to the toilet frequently.
A lot of the time, she will "go" within a short time of sitting down however, there are times where she will sit there for absolute ages, without going at all.

I have found by trial and error, that if I stand her up, then sit her back down (sometimes several times), eventually (though not always), she will then go. It's as if the "go trigger" in her brain is missing and by repeating the activity of sitting down, it eventually kicks in?

Maybe worth a try at least?

Good luck.
Phil

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I had to take My husband to A & E last year with both of these issues. They found his bowel was full but not blocked. They got 2 litres of water into him and he peed copiously. They gave me a box of Laxido which is a gentle laxative in water to give him whenever he seized up.

He has porridge and fresh fruit every morning which was always enough but with lack of mobility from dementia seems to need more help.