Where Does Harry Barnes Live ?

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Is it just me, or does anyone else caring for a person with AZ, find it incredible that at a memory clinic appointment MOH is always, without fail, asked to remember where Harry Barnes lives ?

The first occasion was at his first assessment in 2013 when he was first diagnosed, the latest yesterday, he was asked exactly the same question, and so with all his in between appointments. Bearing in mind that the first was 200 miles away from where we live now, in a different Health Authority, I decided to put the question on Talking Point.

I laughed when he was asked yesterday, because as soon as he was asked, he looked straight at me as if to say this is easy, ha ha. I mentioned to the doctor that maybe if he had asked him to remember a different name and address that the result would have been different. He can't remember his children's addresses, but he sure can remember where Harry Barnes lives !:rolleyes:

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
You are absolutely right! These standard tests become rather silly when the subject is tested many times.
My OH was tested about 5 times in 3 weeks for various reasons - and he did them really well - but when at home he has forgotten things by the time he gets into the next room! Also, I understand, ( and I might have this slightly skewed) that the more intellectual the subject is the more likely they are to get these things right anyway,,,,,

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Oh, those tests - as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Maryjoan is right, people who operated at a high cognitive level pre dementia do tend to do very well on those tests. I've been told that such people do eventually reach a stage when the scores drop off a cliff so maybe that's why they are used.

I remember a visit to my wife by her CPN just over 2yrs ago when my wife had to think very hard but scored 30/30. She was asked the day & date and, with a lot of thought, got it right as Tues 6th Sept. The next morning she came out with her usual first question of 'what day is it?', and I answered by asking her to tell me. "18th of June" was her answer - go figure!!

It would be funny if it wasn't so frustratingly annoying.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

Maryjoan is right, people who operated at a high cognitive level pre dementia do tend to do very well on those tests. I've been told that such people do eventually reach a stage when the scores drop off a cliff so maybe that's why they are used.

I remember a visit to my wife by her CPN just over 2yrs ago when my wife had to think very hard but scored 30/30. She was asked the day & date and, with a lot of thought, got it right as Tues 6th Sept. The next morning she came out with her usual first question of 'what day is it?', and I answered by asking her to tell me. "18th of June" was her answer - go figure!!

Those are the words I was looking for "High Cognitive Level" !!! Couldn't think of the word at the time!! My OH is attempting to make supper - easy microwavable and he thinks it gives me an evening out of the kitchen.... I have to be with him while he'cooks' and he has not even started yet and has asked me about 15 questions........ I will be exhausted by the time it finally reaches the table ( if it does)!!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
When I took my mum for a memory clinic visit, I queried why she wasn't being tested on this visit, and they said they don't think the test works very well for those with initial high level of education and work or something similar. The first test my brother took her to she scored 28/30, although he felt she had some help from the tester in total. At this stage, she was no longer capable of cooking and couldn't understand why we thought it unreasonable she had turned her electricity off 18 months or more ago. They said that for these individuals finding out what they are capable of is more important.

Frankly the test indicates if there is a problem but doesn't indicate that everything is fine.

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Gosh that brings home how bad my Dad is even though he's only just been diagnosed with Alzheimers. He couldn't even remember the nurse asking him to remember Harry Barnes let alone recall the address and a day later he couldn't remember doing the test at all. And he was a highly intelligent guy before all this. This disease is so cruel.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I am afraid that Alzheimer’s is no respecter of persons. My husband is a high functioning person and the consultant said that is why he had been able to carry on so long before it became obvious. He has gone downhill very fast in the year since diagnosis. Now I have adapted to a certain extent with help from TP and I can manage but I am not very good at it because I cannot believe what has happened at times. I no longer have the person I have been married to for 53 years but a pale imitation of my husband. I miss the conversation the most because now it is very basic with no recollection of anything. He can still talk about his work and he can remember close family members and his earlier life. It really is a terrible disease.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH has always done very well on those tests and somehow he recently won the individual championship at the bridge club. BUT he cannot use a mobile phone, cannot drive, is having trouble using a microwave, cannot remember the first twenty years of his life, forgets words that he would have known 6 months ago, gets confused when trying to follow simple instructions, exhibits quite childish behaviour, never stops talking and all the rest of the rubbish stuff.

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
I am afraid that Alzheimer’s is no respecter of persons. My husband is a high functioning person and the consultant said that is why he had been able to carry on so long before it became obvious. He has gone downhill very fast in the year since diagnosis. Now I have adapted to a certain extent with help from TP and I can manage but I am not very good at it because I cannot believe what has happened at times. I no longer have the person I have been married to for 53 years but a pale imitation of my husband. I miss the conversation the most because now it is very basic with no recollection of anything. He can still talk about his work and he can remember close family members and his earlier life. It really is a terrible disease.

It must be terribly hard my heart goes out to you and anyone in your situation . I see the way my Dad is fading away already and I can only imagine how difficult and exhausting that must be if it is happening to your partner when you are living that life with them 24/7 whilst grieving for the old life you had together before dementia.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
During my mums test she was asked to spell "world" backwards which she did with ease. I tried not to laugh at the look on the nurses face! I then managed to have a private word with the nurse as I walked out to her car. I pointed out that mum and all her elderly friends had learnt how to spell it backwards after watching an episode of Casualty. I suggested that her consultant changed the word as everyone knew about it!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
During my mums test she was asked to spell "world" backwards which she did with ease. I tried not to laugh at the look on the nurses face! I then managed to have a private word with the nurse as I walked out to her car. I pointed out that mum and all her elderly friends had learnt how to spell it backwards after watching an episode of Casualty. I suggested that her consultant changed the word as everyone knew about it!

Blimey I would have trouble with that @Lynmax

AliceA

May 27, 2016
In an emergency three of us took my husband to A&E. the duty doctor did the memory test. My husband answered most questions correctly. One got me, I looked at the other two, one in her thirties and laughed at their blank faces.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire

When asked the date my husband would look out the window. If it was raining it was November and if it was sunny it was June.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Years ago in Derby I used to teach a little boy called Harry Barnes. He was 8 years old at the time so would be mid 30s now. He was a bit of a handful, wonder what he's up to now!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH never had the Harry Barnes question, but world backwards came up, the same drawing, the stuff like where are you, Day, date, month. He was first tested early 2007, but he scored 28 1/2, the 1/2 cos he said May when it was April. Thereafter he scored 30. Plus he used to remember and ask me the day and date on the way to the test!
The one thing I got annoyed about was the sentence at the end. He used to find a pithy phrase or sentence. At the last regular test he went to, he asked the consultant if she liked the sentence he had written. I haven’t read it was the reply. He was furious! I don’t think he would ever have done the test for her again!

He’d had dementia for at least 4 years at that stage, btw.

The next time he was asked any questions, a few months before he died, he even got my name wrong, using it’s long form rather than the short. I couldn’t help it, I just said, you haven’t used that name since the day we married! Still, I suppose he was living in the past! Just as well I wasn’t called his first wife’s name!