End of life - drip or no drip?

jojo2018

Mar 30, 2018
We got more clarity on the drip / no drip for my MIL issue today, which I will share in-case it helps anyone in the future.

The cannula is a useful way of giving her pain relief as well as the other fluids (which have been given to keep her hydrated and support her kidneys), so keeping it has this benefit. Without it they would need to switch to injections for the pain. However, if there is notable discomfort or distress caused by setting up or administering the drip - or they can no longer easily find a vein - it won't be the best option anymore. They said they will revisit the question day to day.

Strangely, my MIL is doing better these last few days and seems calmer and a little more coherent, though she knows nothing of what's happening. All starting to really affect my OH though I've never seen him like this before. It's heartbreaking :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I just thought I would mention that if they stop using IV fluids/pain relief there is another option for pain relief other than injections. A syringe driver will deliver constant pain relief with a small needle under the skin. My mum had this at the end of her life.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Just reading this thread and thanks to everybody for sharing, it must be difficult to re visit but so helpful for those of us still on this terrible journey. Thank you

jojo2018

Mar 30, 2018
I just thought I would mention that if they stop using IV fluids/pain relief there is another option for pain relief other than injections. A syringe driver will deliver constant pain relief with a small needle under the skin. My mum had this at the end of her life.
Thank you, that's really helpful I will ask the palliative nurses about this as soon as I can, as at the moment her pain comes and goes (pain killers seem to wear off too quickly) and shes so tough that to see her in pain like this it must be very bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba