Attendance Allowance

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
As mum has just moved into a care home (Friday) is she still entitled to receive Attendance Allowance? Mum is not self funding and is paying standard contribution towards fees from her pension income.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Hi elveismad, I hope it's OK to add to your thread. My mum has been in a care home since September. She is self funding but I was told to tell the DHSS as her AA would be stopped whilst she received the 12 week disregard. I notified them a bit late as I hadn't realised, do I have to re apply for AA or will it just start automatically once the 12 week disregard is over? Thanks.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Norfolk Cherry - Are the DWP aware that the AA claim has been temporarily stopped due to the 12 week disregard? Mum was in the same position recently and I contacted the DWP by phone to confirm the end date of the 12 week disregard (this was contained within a letter from the local authority). I don't think that you'll need to re-apply if your Mum's care needs have not changed during the disregard period (Mum's had) but I would give them a call to ensure that they are aware that the AA needs to be re-instated at the end of the 12 weeks. They may already know but from experience these things can get missed so I would ring them to remind them.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Norfolk Cherry - Are the DWP aware that the AA claim has been temporarily stopped due to the 12 week disregard? Mum was in the same position recently and I contacted the DWP by phone to confirm the end date of the 12 week disregard (this was contained within a letter from the local authority). I don't think that you'll need to re-apply if your Mum's care needs have not changed during the disregard period (Mum's had) but I would give them a call to ensure that they are aware that the AA needs to be re-instated at the end of the 12 weeks. They may already know but from experience these things can get missed so I would ring them to remind them.
Thanks Louise7, I'll give them a call.