Newly diagnosed

Papa1

Dec 24, 2018
Hello
I was diagnosed as having early stage mixed dementia on friday 21/12/2018.
I am 58yrs old. I don't really know what i want i just feel that i would like to hear from somebody in the same position.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Papa1 welcome to TP, the forum has several members in a similar situation to you and I’m sure they will be along to support you.
I hope now you have found us you will continue to post

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Papa1, welcome from me too.

My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia a couple of years ago. The best thing I can say to you is that we are both still enjoying life despite the dementia related issues. I feel it helps to live in the moment and remain positive.

Do keep posting for information and support.

Last edited:

Papa1

Dec 24, 2018
Hello @Papa1, welcome from me too.

My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia a couple of years ago. The best thing I can say to you is that we are both still enjoying life despite the dementia related issues. I feel it helps to live in the moment and remain positive.

Do keep posting for information and support.

Papa1

Dec 24, 2018
Hello
Thankyou for your words. My faith is helping and i am a positive thinkning person. It is just the not knowing, because only just being diagnosed.
Thamks again.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello
Thankyou for your words. My faith is helping and i am a positive thinkning person. It is just the not knowing, because only just being diagnosed.
Thamks again.
I didn't want to bombard you with info.
If you want to, good things to look at are the Society Publications list and the page where you can do a post code search for your local support services. Just click the following links. Apart from that looking at old threads can be useful and you should feel free to ask any questions. Best of luck to you

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Papa1

It is just the not knowing, because only just being diagnosed.

Not knowing is tough especially while you try to come to terms with your diagnosis if you can ever do so. All I can say is everyone`s dementia may have similarities but people face the challenge in individual ways. None of us know what to expect in life from day to day, with or without dementia.

If you can be strong enough to make the most of every day of your life from now on, as a positive thinker with a strong faith, it may not be quite as bad as you fear.

Talking Point is a supportive community so please don`t hesitate to stay with us.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Hi, my husband was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers 21/2 years ago. I know that its a horrible shock even if you were expecting a diagnosis but really, you are still the person you were last week and for us, in this 2 1/2 years, we have made adjustments but things are not that much different really.

Its ok. Really it is x

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018
Hello
I am 58yrs old. I don't really know what i want i just feel that i would like to hear from somebody in the same position.

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018
Hi there , my husband was diagnosed in November 18 and he is 57.

We knew something was wrong for a few years though just couldn't get a diagnosis.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Papa1 sorry to hear of your diagnosis but I’m guessing you, like many of us, knew there was something wrong for a while. I was diagnosed in March 18 with FTD I was 51 & to be honest it came initially as a relief then the fear kicked in.
But just as @Ruth1974 said you are still the same person you were just before your diagnosis.
We are all here for you if you want to let off steam or talk about your fears.
Happy 2019 :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hello

Hi I was diagnosed with Alzheimers aged 57 and FTD aged 60 continued working in full employment until age 65 I'm now 76 still going strong ok few old age aches and pains but I am still above ground best not to worry

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hi, I too been Dx with memory loss, I'm a 58 yrs., old male, disabled US Army veteran (who served our blessed Nation with respect, honor & pride) cancer survivor among other disabilities, I been prescribed with Namenda XR 28 & Aricept 5 MG, yes on daily basis I experience anxiety, depression & fear, but I also have learn on a daily basis ** to look at these normal emotion "straight at it's face" & tell them you "are not going to shackle me", because I believe 100% on a Higher Power, although I don't attend any temple (I respect them all) I have two very helpful weapons 24/7 1) The Lord Prayer & 2) The Serenity Prayer, I been blessed with family (familia), friends (amigos, I have learn that "control fear" is a normal daily issue for me, the antidotes for all the prior mention emotion that easily "shackle" me, is sincerely believing on a Higher Power, in family & friends the above two mention prayers & ** not forgetting that the only thing I have for certain thank God is 'today & now', on a daily basis I must stay active, have fellowship with loved ones & friends, get involved on daily hubbies (tv, reading, crossword puzzles, hagging out with my grandsons 8 & 10 yrs., of age, seeing historic boxing match on my cell phone, help my wife cook & with same errands, may the Higher Power of your understanding bless you, be safe, take care (I forgot to tell say I love playing dominos with my two Treasures (grandsons [nietos], & don't be timid to reach out any time --- One Moment At A Time.