Anxious and worried

Claireybella

Sep 13, 2011
Portsmouth
My mum passed away last year after a 10 year battle with Alzheimer's, she was 72 years old. How do you deal with the worry that you will end up going down the same road? My maternal great grandmother and grandmother had dementia the latter definitely also Alzheimer's. I am one of 3 daughters and I just worry constantly this will happen to us. I have 2 small boys and I would hate to see me go through what my mum did. I'm 41 this month.....

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
There are a lot of factors in relation to dementia risk. My understanding is that genetics is a small factor but the AS Factsheet that can be read by clicking the second line of the following link may explain things to you

Genetics of dementia (405)
PDF printable version

It is obviously a worry for you so maybe a chat with your GP will either allay your fears or result in some testing if you want to go that far.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I was going to be tested as a few of my family members have died with dementia and my mum has it now. However, when it came down to it, the doctor said that even IF my mum has the genes, and then I did too, there was still no guarantee that I would get it anyway. So, in the end, I decided not to have my mum tested or to be tested myself. I will just make the best life I can, every single day and hope for the best. x

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
I was going to be tested as a few of my family members have died with dementia and my mum has it now. However, when it came down to it, the doctor said that even IF my mum has the genes, and then I did too, there was still no guarantee that I would get it anyway. So, in the end, I decided not to have my mum tested or to be tested myself. I will just make the best life I can, every single day and hope for the best. x

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Respectful greetings to you & a safe & happy New York 2019, I on 11/2005 was 'Dx' with the early stages of memory loss, at present I'm been prescribed with Namenda 28 MG & Aricet 5 MG, I'm a cancer survivor, I believe 100% on a 'Higher Power', I try my best to put my trust on almighty God every moment of my life, I'm thankful to God for my wonderful family, friends, acquaintances, at present I could drive, do errands, have fellowship with my two Tresures ( grandsons 8 & 11), the only thing I have for certain is Today & Now, I enjoy lessening to music, tv, taking out my chihuahua on walk ( is theropetic indeed), be safe, easy does it, it's one Moment at a time, don't hesitate to reply,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @One Moment At A Time Welcome to Talking Point.

It sounds as if you have done really well since your diagnosis in 2005 and it`s good you are so well supported by family and friends.

I hope you`ll feel well supported here too.

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hi Grannie G., & thanks for you reaching out, I have empathy I indeed understand "your language", depression, anxiety, fear are my every day experiences, I honestly try to put my life / my family on the hands of a "Higher Power", I don't attend any temples (my respects for all) but I'm 100% certain HE is by my side 24/7, the only thing I have for certain is 'today & now', I try every thing with in my reach to call a loved one, friend or an acquaintance, what works for me is trying on a daily basis staying active, alone or with others --- I look a Depression / Anxiety & Fear straight at the face & say the well with you -- it's only one Moment at a time / babby steps / easy does it, be safe , take care & may the "Higher Power" of your understanding instill in you with His blessings, "buenas noches" / good night.