ITV3 - a mans best friend

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I'm giving up trying to watch anything on TV. My husband will say to me "put on what you want to watch". Then after a while he'll say this is boring isn't it. So I suggest he puts what he wants on. He struggles with the remote for a while but it always ends up on ITV3, reruns of all his old favourite programs. He'll even watch the same episode the same day. The strange thing is he'll point someone out and tell me that he's going to get shot. How is it his memory can cope with that but nothing else?

Ernest

Jan 23, 2018
My OH does exactly the same jenniferjean. He has his TV in his room at his CH and when I'm there we sit and watch either Freeview 10, Poirout, Miss Marple or Midsomer Murders or Freeview 21 Columbo !! The trouble is that he gets so impatient with the breaks for adverts, of which there are a lot. I too find them irritating but he gets really cross and ends up fiddling about with the remote randomly going to every other station. I try to placate him. I turn off the sound and try to talk about something else but I have to admit it's hard going. I'm not someone who watched TV during the day until now and I have to say that after a hard day at work it's rather nice to sit for a couple of hours before going home. Quite often I've seen the episode before and like your OH mine will say he's seen it but will watch it cos he can't remember the ending.i wish BBC would have programmes he'd like !!

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
My mother seems to watch the same 3 programmes on rotation - Dad's Army, Supervet, 'Allo 'Allo...

I've just got an Amazon Echo for her in the hope I can get her interested in listening to some audiobooks and music from her past. We'll see.

One thing I can't understand is that her hearing is actually pretty good, but she insists on having the TV and radio turned up so loud the whole street can hear it. I don't know what's going to happen when she gets the live in carer, as it'll probably stop her from sleeping.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad used to put his tv on full volume but I used to sneak it down a bit and he never noticed.

He was also happiest watching something from the past. I found the “back in time for dinner” and similar used to bring him to life

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
OH happy days,, I thought it was only my OH!
I payout for Netflix and now TV but No change , I swear if I have to watch another midsummer murders, poirot , sweeny, Bodie and Doyle etc I feel I shall scream!!!likewise he can watch the same episode over and over, Also watches Talking Pictures, old films from the 1950s and 60s. I suppose it’s easy and a form of reminiscing! He make nasty comments about me being on my IPad , without which I be go stir crazy!
Is it on purpose or just me but if I try to watch something ( the Bodyguard for instantance! He either makes a lot of noise , drops something, needs assistanace with ( something! ) I f I really want to watch it I make a point of either staying up or getting up early to what on catch up!!!!
He cannot cope with Amazon Alexa, shame the music would have been great..
A new year but same old , same old !!
It does so help to know that OH appears to be following a well trodden path! As we are still awaiting official diagnosis, two and a half years on, and the decline is now rapid!! It helps but also frightens me, what is waiting around the corner???
Now I wonder what will be on our TV tonight!!!!!!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I think we all have the same problem. TV on 50 - thank goodness the lady next door ( we are in a semi bungalow) is as deaf as a post!
As I was saying, TV on 50 and The Chase, The Chase, Dad's Army, The Chase, Tipping Point and the very silly (to me) Judge Rinder it goes on and on and one......
I told him I was making a roast lunch as it was New Year's Day - he asked me if I was having any?? I have been thinking of late that he treats me like the housekeeper!!

Oh well, It's Mrs Brown's Boys again tonight - he has watched the same ones of those over and over - don't think he 'gets' most of it, but as my family are Irish - I do !!!

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
My husband likes to watch The Chase over and over so I asked for some noise cancelling headphones for my birthday. Now I listen to music or audio books while he watches the television and we're both happy.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I'm giving up trying to watch anything on TV. My husband will say to me "put on what you want to watch". Then after a while he'll say this is boring isn't it. So I suggest he puts what he wants on. He struggles with the remote for a while but it always ends up on ITV3, reruns of all his old favourite programs. He'll even watch the same episode the same day. The strange thing is he'll point someone out and tell me that he's going to get shot. How is it his memory can cope with that but nothing else?
As we have cable and special box provided we can record up to 6 channels at once and my OH has so many old series and programmes recorded from ITV3 and the Drama channel that you wonder will they ever be watched, but she manages as long as I dont want to watch something and that is time for conflict. She wakens about 3.30 each morning and goes downstairs turns on TV and ‘My Show’ then begins her day of regurgitated old shows and she is happy.

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Ha ha this made me LOL!! OH in his NH watches non stop Poirot Morse Agatha Christie etc. He used to watch nothing but sport but never now, don't think he can follow the action. He never watches the news, not interested, but watches endless ITV3. Even he says it doesn't matter if he's seen it before as he doesn't remember...

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Ha ha this made me LOL!! OH in his NH watches non stop Poirot Morse Agatha Christie etc. He used to watch nothing but sport but never now, don't think he can follow the action. He never watches the news, not interested, but watches endless ITV3. Even he says it doesn't matter if he's seen it before as he doesn't remember...
My husband also watches recordings, Poirot, Midsummer, Lewis, Open all hours and many more, all the time. We have hundreds of DVDs and programs recorded. I sit on my chair beside him with my laptop and earphones and I can still see and hear him. He has spells of being stuck on one for a while. It's been Warhorse for the last 3 weeks, 2 or 3 times a day. I suggest others and it works sometimes. He will soon forget about it and pick another favorite. I could not manage without my laptop.
Clarice2

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My husband also watches recordings, Poirot, Midsummer, Lewis, Open all hours and many more, all the time. We have hundreds of DVDs and programs recorded. I sit on my chair beside him with my laptop and earphones and I can still see and hear him. He has spells of being stuck on one for a while. It's been Warhorse for the last 3 weeks, 2 or 3 times a day. I suggest others and it works sometimes. He will soon forget about it and pick another favorite. I could not manage without my laptop.
Clarice2
Had to laugh as I am sitting here with my headphones on, mini iPad on my lap andswering you whirl Pauline is watching Classic Coronation ST

Angryperson

Oct 27, 2017
I’ve banned it! However I shot myself in the foot by getting Netflix. The remote has a huge Netflix button so he can work out how to use this and watches horrible violent films over and over.