my mum would'nt say that

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
All the bits I put on here are via my sister as she is the one doing the caring ,
Christmas eve and day mum had my brother who drove for hours to be with her as we thought it might be particularly difficult as my dad who passed last year has a birthday xmas eve and their anniversary would be boxing day. Apparently he made prawn cocktail for mum as that was a favourite of hers and she said it tasted like ***** ! Its hard to hear this as mum would have washed our mouths out with soap had we ever used any kind of swear word. Also when someone else appears on the scene in this case my brother my mum resorts to "talking about the other person in unpleasant comments" eg "she brings bread and milk but I would'nt care if it was somebody else"
any way that's me for now Happy New Year to you all and you're loved ones .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid the nastiness, swearing and rude comments are par for the course with dementia.
Its hard to hear, especially when its directed at you. You just have to say, its not her, its the dementia talking (easier said than done).

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't mind swearing, however, I was gobsmacked the first time my wife came out with a right mouthful as she was always a mildly spoken woman.:eek: It's when they do it in public and you have to quieten them down that it's a bit of a nuisance.

The taste thing is a symptom of the dementia. The sense of taste is often lost, with sweet and sour being the last tastes to go. This is why people develop the common dementia sweet tooth. Favourite foods may no longer taste nice. A nice cake, or the like, usually goes down well.:)

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
My mum too is very often rude to carers, mutters that she would like to smack another residents visitors just because they smiled at her and has been at times downright nasty to myself and hubby. If she was aware what she was saying she would be mortified, sadly it is just another part of this darn illness.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
My mother in law started using the actual F word in the late stages. My husband had never heard her using it, it just was not known of in the house! She would have been utterly mortified. How degrading this disease is, however much we understand it.

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Im afraid the nastiness, swearing and rude comments are par for the course with dementia.
Its hard to hear, especially when its directed at you. You just have to say, its not her, its the dementia talking (easier said than done).
Thanks for the help, to hear from other people to know we are not on our own out here is good.

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
I don't mind swearing, however, I was gobsmacked the first time my wife came out with a right mouthful as she was always a mildly spoken woman.:eek: It's when they do it in public and you have to quieten them down that it's a bit of a nuisance.

The taste thing is a symptom of the dementia. The sense of taste is often lost, with sweet and sour being the last tastes to go. This is why people develop the common dementia sweet tooth. Favourite foods may no longer taste nice. A nice cake, or the like, usually goes down well.:)
Thank you everybody is so helpful

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
I get it and tell myself that's dementia butting in conversations :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
She also sometimes has a tendency to make rude personal comments about the physical appearance of complete strangers when we are out which can be embarrasing
Oh the inappropriate personal comments :eek:. Something pops into their mind and it comes straight of their mouths! Mum used to do this and yes, its very embarrassing, but it was also quite funny as her comments were spot on! I used to find that, quite suddenly, I wanted her to come and look at something in a completely different direction.......

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has never sworn at our daughters in their lives but when youngest leaned over to wipe his nose he shouted “Get to f***! She was stunned. I explained he probably got a fright and thought she was going to attack him. She is a dainty size 8 so not a bruiser.