Risperidone (Risperdal) reaction

jimsgal

Apr 17, 2018
My husband is 83 was diagnosed with early Alzheimers. He has hallucinations which are pretty benign. The doctor put him on Risperidone and within a few days he was like a zombie, slow movements, difficulty communicating, following simple directions, making it to the bathroom in time. I stopped the medicine and in a few days he was back to what is now normal for him. He thinks depends are a great, and the urinal is a great invention. His doctor was surprised at how quickly he had the reaction and recovery. I was wondering if anyone else had this reaction and to perhaps warn about it.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @jimsgal a warm welcome to TP.
I personally don’t know anything about Risperidone but I’m sure someone with personal experience will be able to help shortly.
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post

NellieP

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,
It might be worth speaking to your pharmacist for advice as they are far better trained than GPs in understanding the effects of drugs on patients. Not many people understand how well trained they are. Also, I know it's not often a good idea to google such information but have you had a look at Risperidone on the internet?
Best of luck,
Nell

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
It's a question of horses for courses I'm afraid. For my mum Risperidone has been a godsend and she has had no side-effects at all, but unfortunately not everyone reacts the same way.

Don't rule out trying other anti-psychotics if the doctor suggests it. A different one may suit him better (we tried 2 others before Risperidone did the job for us).

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Risperidone works well for my mum but she is only on a low dose, what dose has your GP prescribed.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Risperidone is a drug that can have quite severe side effects. That information of what to look out for is in the accompanying leaflet, or available from any pharmacist. However, as has been said, when it's needed, and if nothing else that's been tried has worked, it can indeed be a godsend. My husband was on 1.5mg per day for over 4 years. His consultant too had tried other medications and combinations before finally prescribing risperidone + trazadone, and that was what worked for him. And thankfully, he tolerated it really well. Never showed any side effects at all. Not everyone does. All medicines can have unwanted side effects in some people and not in others. My daughter can't take ibuprofen, my mum is allergic to morphine, and I can't take omeprazole (Losec, an otc stomach medication). If the hallucinations are benign and not troubling, then well and good. But if they turn and your husband becomes frightened or aggressive with them, then talk to the doctor about trying something else.