OH still in Hospital

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
OH has been in hospital for 3 weeks now, I visited over the last 3days with my children and some of my grand children and OH seemed to enjoy it, however after we left yesterday I had a phone call to say he had walked out again, this time in only pyjamas and a jumper! fortunately they found him in the car park. We are waiting now for him to be transferred to a care home as they have said I will not be ab!e to cope with him on my own. I am very lucky my children have made sure I have had a lovely Christmas with them, but it has been very strange this has been the first time in 53 years we haven't spent it together at home. Hope everybody has a better New Year. Lxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s a very sad time for you @Rosebush. I remember this time well and know how upsetting it was.

It`s good you have loving children to help and support you but I know you would much prefer it to be your OH in good health.

Enjoy what you can.

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Thank you I'm not visiting today, but I will phone and see how he is. I have spoken to the Social worker and she said as soon has a suitable place has been found they will let me know, but she thinks it will be New year before anything happens. Lxx

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Today I had a phone call to say my husband had been transferred to a care home, unfortunately it is about 15 miles away ( maybe more) and as I don't drive I will have to get a train and then a taxi, whilst carrying a suitcase as I have been asked to take in some clothes, I was hoping for a local home, but they are not suitable as they do not meet my husband's needs. He will be assessed for about 6 weeks and then they will decide what happens next. Well I must get to bed as I have an early start, not looking forward to it as I haven't travelled by train for years and also I will be on my own. Lx

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
OH has been in hospital for 3 weeks now, I visited over the last 3days with my children and some of my grand children and OH seemed to enjoy it, however after we left yesterday I had a phone call to say he had walked out again, this time in only pyjamas and a jumper! fortunately they found him in the car park. We are waiting now for him to be transferred to a care home as they have said I will not be ab!e to cope with him on my own. I am very lucky my children have made sure I have had a lovely Christmas with them, but it has been very strange this has been the first time in 53 years we haven't spent it together at home. Hope everybody has a better New Year. Lxx

I wonder how i will feel when this happens. I find him frustrating, annoying, exhausting but one day i will probably have to make this decision (or have it taken from me) and there will be a big gap in my life.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @Rosebush,
Things are never easy for most of us.
You have found a care home that meets your husband's needs, but it is far away and you have to go by train.
Hope there is someone who does not live far from you, so that you can go with them in their cars when they visit their relatives.
Thinking of you. Take care of yourself.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am so sorry to hear this, it is what we all dread. I do not drive either. Perhaps not for this time but could you get a volunteer driver? We have to use these for hospital appointments and I understand they can be used in these situations too.
Our local authority tends to put people far from easy reach and it causes unseen hardship. My heart goes out to you. Xxx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Rosebush, Its far from ideal but can one of your children either take you are accompany you on the train? Strange travelling is never good at the best of times, but with a suitcase and when you are not sure of the ins and outs of the journey that doesn't sound ideal.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, travelling under stress will not help you, could you or your children find some rainy day money for a taxi?
I know how expensive it is but you are going through exceptional times. x

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi everybody, thank you for all your replies. I' m shattered today although it wasn't as bad as I thought . Unfortunately I couldn't use my bus pass on the train so it cost £14 return and then the taxi was £6 both ways a total of £26! which means I will not be able to visit very often, but today my eldest son phoned to say he will take me over on Thursday. I was really pleased with the care home, it is quite posh my husband has his own ensuite and a tv, the food was very good, they even offered me food and said I could make a drink whenever I want,but the most important thing is he can't get out, so at least he is safe and I can relax. They said he would most likely be there for about 6weeks until he has been assessed, then hopefully he can transfer to a home closer. Thank you again. Lxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am so pleased that you managed the journey. It sounds as if he is in a good place. You must be tired though, try to relax a bit if you can. X

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am glad that you feel reassured that the home is nice having now seen it for yourself and hopefully a suitable place will be found closer and easier for you.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi @Rosebush hope you are looking after yourself. Just been catching up on posts . How’s is OH . I am so pleased you are happy with the home your OH is in, then after all his assessments he will moved closer to you which will be loads better for you not so much travelling. You take care speak soon. Ax

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi Beads, thank you, I was wondering where you were haven't heard from you for ages, hope you are ok, OH seems ok, just wish I didn't feel so guilty but I know it's for the best, when he was in hospital the nurses said he was too much for one person to cope with, it's lonely but now at least I can relax.Take care speak soon. If possible have a Happy New Year. Love Lxx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Beads, thank you, I was wondering where you were haven't heard from you for ages, hope you are ok, OH seems ok, just wish I didn't feel so guilty but I know it's for the best, when he was in hospital the nurses said he was too much for one person to cope with, it's lonely but now at least I can relax.Take care speak soon. If possible have a Happy New Year. Love Lxx
Hi @Rosebush I am glad your OH is ok. You shouldn’t feel guilty at all , you couldn’t have continued the way it was with OH. You would have finished up being ill . Be kind to yourself now L & relax knowing he is in good hands . Same to you L . Speak soon take care .Axxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo