Feeling helpless

May30

Feb 25, 2017
My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's three years ago. Up until fairly recently he was living at home with my Mum who has a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. Earlier this year my Dad began receiving help with his personal care twice a day. His incontinence started becoming more of a problem for my Mum to manage and he started wearing pads even though he hated them.

In October we suspected he had a UTI and he was given antibiotics. This was never reviewed and towards the end of October his behaviour became more and more difficult. He started refusing personal care. I was going round most evenings to help because the carers weren't getting anywhere. My Mum was washing bedding and clothing everyday and was having to get it dried at the laundrette otherwise we would have run out. My mum found it very difficult to cope and she had a fall which exacerbated everything. Dad wasn't sleeping through the night and would wander. Dads skin started breaking down because he wasn't washing properly. We were struggling to manage his bowels because he would swing between diarrhoea and constipation. He must have been in a lot of discomfort.

He was then admitted to hospital with cellulitis and has been in hospital for about three weeks. We had a 'best interest' meeting and they said that they don't think the house is safe for Dad and my Mum has said she can't cope with looking after him anymore. Before he went into hospital he was mobile and would go for walks with me but he hasn't walked since being in the hospital. The physios have tried to get him up and have said that he can physically walk but when they try to help him get out of bed he gets agitated if they touch him. He doesn't understand their instructions. He will sometimes look like he wants to get up but the physios aren't there at that point to help. I have managed to get him up but it takes a long time and I haven't been there all the time which makes me feel guilty.

I feel like there was something I should have done to stop it from getting to this point. I feel like I've let him down. The hospital have now started talking about a continuing healthcare assessment 'pathway 3' but I am trying to get to grips with what this means. I've seen the difference that having a break has done for my mum. She can sleep the night through and do things she couldn't before. I've started looking at nursing homes but am finding it hard to come to terms with it and am terrified that I won't be able to find the right place. I am worried that Dad won't walk again. Everything seems to be such a long process. I just don't know what to do and I feel awful. I can't see the right way out of it.

Sorry this is such a long post.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Apart from the Factsheet, the experts on the help line may be able to guide you through the system. The details for the help line are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Monday 31 December (New Year's Eve) 9am – 5pm
Tuesday 1 January (New Year's Day) Closed
The Helpline will be open as usual at all other times.

Do keep posting to receive guidance and support.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @May30
You havent done anything wrong, it is the progression of the dementia. Alzheimers is a degenerative disease and although drugs like donepezil can slow down the progression nothing can stop it. Im sure you know this already, but it is heartbreaking when we see the evidence of it with our own eyes.

Im sure the time is right for your dad to move to a nursing home, once someone with dementia becomes incontinent and has mobility problems it is incredibly hard to look after them at home and you can see for yourself that your mum had reached the end of what she could cope with. Nevertheless, moving into a care home is such a big change that it is indeed hard to get your head round - it feels like losing them and there is a lot of grief involved.

There will be a place out there somewhere for your dad. When you go and look at them, dont be taken in by snazzy decor or bells and whistles - you need a high level of experienced staff who know how to deal with your dad and a homely atmosphere. It is always worth asking what they could not cope with.

May30

Feb 25, 2017
Thank you for your replies. Wish I could get dad out of the hospital. It's not good for him at all to be in the hospital but I know we need to wait to hear what the continuing Healthcare people say. I just want to scoop dad up and get him home.

May30

Feb 25, 2017
They found a bed for dad and the care home came to assess him yesterday. They said they can accept him and my mum and I went to visit the home today. They managed to answer all of my questions, the location is OK for myself and my mum to visit. The room he would be in was OK. He has been in hospital for so long now it really is taking its toll on him. We've accepted the care home place. As far as I am aware it is just a short term place whilst they do the continuing Healthcare assessment.I'm really finding it hard to feel that anything I'm doing is the right thing for him. It feels like a minefield. I feel constantly anxious and panicky. I keep trying to look for a glimmer of positivity but am finding it very hard.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its good that he is out of the hospital environment. It sounds like the care home will be much better for him and its good that you can get to it OK to visit.
See what the assessment says.
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I'm really finding it hard to feel that anything I'm doing is the right thing for him. It feels like a minefield. I feel constantly anxious and panicky. I keep trying to look for a glimmer of positivity but am finding it very hard.
I know that this is something that frightens my daughter, having to find somewhere for her dad if something happens to me. But you can only do your best. I'm sure your Mum will be more settled too.