A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been awake for an hour and have given up on all my tactics to get back to sleep. It`s a long time since I`ve been awake in the silly hours.

I went to see The Return of Mary Poppins yesterday. It`s received good reviews and although the costumes were beautiful, the leading lady very versatile and the animation very clever it didn`t have the impact the first Mary Poppins had for me.

I`ve ordered a chakra bracelet to commemorate the fifth anniversary of Dhiren`s death on January 16th.. It`s being made for me and I hope it arrives in time.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I hope that you catch up today. Thea bracelet sounds a lovely idea, what will it be made of, is it a local craftsman?
Our family saw Mary Poppins at Christmas, when the original came out we bought the LP as a family treat and spent a Christmas prancing about to it.
I have a birthday offer of a lift into town next week, so we will see it then.
We will have lunch out, there is a small friendly cafe my husband likes so will go there.
Try to rest today

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Five years so soon? I find that it feels both long ago and just recently that Mum died.

I had a little relapse today after cooking like a fiend for 3 days. I went to bed at 7.30 in the evening and woke 4 hours later. Now I'm just trying to tire myself out. My little cat Maggie is snuggled up to me. We did hear today that she developed kidney problems so we have things to do which should slow the progression but not stop it. She has the loveliest disposition and is definitely a Mummy's girl.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
December 18th 1971 my father died aged 53.

We were told it was the result of fluid on the brain which developed following a fall, when he hit his head on concrete while on holiday in the Canary Islands.
It`s now known this was dementia.

My mother was diagnosed with mixed dementia in 1993 and died in 2002.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2005 and died in 2014

I'm just reflecting really about how long dementia has been in my life. These three dementias were unrelated and the symptoms were all so different , as were the relationships.

However, the effect they had on the person with dementia and the family were the same.

I have just picked up on this. My grandmother had a series of strokes and was in hospital for many years. She had a very strong spirit, she used to get upset when she called someone the wrong name and it was pointed out to her. I used to just answer to the name of her eldest grandchild that she seldom had seen. I wonder how many suffered because conditions were put down to old age

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Five years so soon? I find that it feels both long ago and just recently that Mum died.

I had a little relapse today after cooking like a fiend for 3 days. I went to bed at 7.30 in the evening and woke 4 hours later. Now I'm just trying to tire myself out. My little cat Maggie is snuggled up to me. We did hear today that she developed kidney problems so we have things to do which should slow the progression but not stop it. She has the loveliest disposition and is definitely a Mummy's girl.

Another one who will need to catch up today!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

Oh no! Poor, Maggie.

Sylvia I love the idea of the bracelet.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Poor Maggie @Canadian Joanne. That’s a shame. Poor wee thing.

The bracelet sounds lovely Sylvia. I can’t believe it’s 5 years. I hope it comes in time.

I’ve not read good reviews of Mary Poppins. I was thinking of going to see it at the weekend but I’m not sure. My friend’s daughter is an artist and she worked on the set. I was going to see it into see if her name goes up at the end!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That’s a lovely thing to do and will be a source of comfort to you whenever you touch it Sylvia.
Yes, the time passses so quickly- yet sometimes it seems to stand still.xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I slept from 4-6 having a terrible dream about being lost in a maze in a supermarket while my cousin and her baby were waiting for me at home. Then I must have slept again and was woken by the phone.

I`m sorry about your Maggie Joanne @Canadian Joanne. I know how important your cats are to you.
You would love my new neighbours. They have a Bengal cat which was one of twins. Sadly the twin had to be put to sleep not long after they moved here and they were devastated. My neighbours have their fence wired to keep the cat in their control which delights me.

About the bracelet.
I`m in contact with a company in India and they are making the bracelet for me. I tried to get one here but they are mainly made up of beads on elastic and I want a gold one which I can wear all the time and not have to worry about it getting spoilt.

I`ve told the Indian company our story and about scattering Dhiren`s ashes in the Ganges and they have been most accommodating. We have communicated frequently via WhatsApp and they are trying hard to make what I want.

Fingers crossed I will have it by 16th.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope you do Sylvia. Perhaps you could post a photo of it when you get it. It sounds beautiful.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Perhaps you could post a photo of it when you get it. It sounds beautiful.

Thanks Izzy. I will.

It`s strange. I have quite a lot of jewellery which I never wear. I wear the same pieces all the time, they are almost part of the furniture.
I had an idea about this bracelet early in November and it has become quite important to me. I thought I was past all that but obviously not.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am moved by you being able to scatter your husband's ashes in the Ganges. I do hope your bracelet comes on time. I think it a beautiful idea.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sylvia, I, too, can hardly believe it's been five years! The bracelet is a lovely idea. Time seems to fly by, and yet at the same time, it can seem long.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks @LadyA

Dhiren was in a care home for four years before he died and even though I visited every alternate day, I`ve still lived without him being at home for nine years so am quite accepting of it .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve just signed up for a Fit for Life class.

It took 5800 steps to walk from the bus stop to the leisure centre and then back again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.