Happy (hospital) christmas

jojo2018

Mar 30, 2018
Happy Christmas to all,

As I know from reading many posts on this forum, my OH and I are not alone in spending Christmas by our loved one's bedside, wondering if they will live or die and unable to communicate with them. In our case we're in hospital today, but whether it's here, a care home, or your own home - this is a tragic time where we look everywhere for silver linings and do our best to have positive thoughts.

Thanks to this forum I know we're not alone in our experience and our sometimes complex and difficult thoughts.

My MIL seems to have had such a rapid decline, we've gone from walks around the park and lunches out together and her being the boss of her home, to her being incontinent, incoherent, and skeletal. The Drs say it might have been a virus, but they simply don't know what's caused it or what will happen next. The symptoms are exactly the same as 'end of life' stages in the dementia guides, but she's at too early a stage, her heart is strong, and the Drs say she should pull through. But she's 35kg, barely eating or able to swallow, not knowing where she is, hallucinating, shaking, and on a drip for survival... it's hard to understand how she possibly could.

My heart goes out to everyone experiencing this, who understand in a way others can't.
Take care of yourselves, remember the happy memories, and be proud of the care you give.
None of us are perfect but we're doing our best.

xxx

Last edited:

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Merry Christmas @jojo2018
Thanks for a lovely post .
I wish there was a way on here that you could see how many people have actually read your post, I read a lot without replying and think it would be good if you could see ‘read’ amount.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sending some hugs your way, wish I had some wise words to offer but sadly I don't.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I also spent Christmas day at the hospital visiting my husband. Within weeks he declined rapidly. No longer eating with just a few sips of liquid. The plan was to have him home but unfortunately after just over 24 hours he was readmitted.

After chatting to the staff nurse yesterday it would seem that a decision will be made today on whether to put him on an ''end of life" plan.

So why do I think he will get better and come home.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Thank you Canary.

After talking to the doctor an end of life plan is being put into place. My husband will be moved into a side ward and a nursing home will be looked for in the new year if he survives that long.

jojo2018

Mar 30, 2018
I also spent Christmas day at the hospital visiting my husband. Within weeks he declined rapidly. No longer eating with just a few sips of liquid. The plan was to have him home but unfortunately after just over 24 hours he was readmitted.

After chatting to the staff nurse yesterday it would seem that a decision will be made today on whether to put him on an ''end of life" plan.

So why do I think he will get better and come home.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, sending virtual love and hugs to you xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC