Advice

hen92

Dec 24, 2018
Does anger stop? We are currently on a flight back from the Caribbean that turned awful. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s at the age of 49. He is now 54. It’s always been a dream of his to go on a Caribbean cruise and this year we decided to finally do one. He had been completely fine with flying as we had my brothers wedding abroad last year November. One year down the line we had a nightmare journey. He found it hard position himself on the seat. Didn’t know how to sit down. 30 mins later we managed to get my dad to sit however he started kicking the seat in front, swearing, became extremely aggressive, tried to bite us. There were 4 of us holding him down to gain control on the situation. We had a similar situation on the way to the Caribbean. We had no idea the journey would be like this. He is such a loving and caring man I have no idea where the anger comes from. Will it stop? Between my mum, brother, his wife and me we are all struggling. Can’t wait to be home x

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Henal_lathia
Has your Dad been angry before or was the anger in reaction to being put in a small, confined space with lots of noise & strangers?
I hoe you’re home safely now.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
That was a horrible experience for you. I haven't taken my husband abroad since 2014 to France and the last long haul to the States the year before that. With this illness everything is unpredictable and travel is already stressful without dementia in the mix. Much as you might want to do great things with him you might have to adjust to his new reality. Calm, quiet and routine works best. For me travel is for his past and possibly my future but not for both of us together anymore.

hen92

Dec 24, 2018
Welcome to TP @Henal_lathia
Has your Dad been angry before or was the anger in reaction to being put in a small, confined space with lots of noise & strangers?
I hoe you’re home safely now.
Yes I think that’s what it was. The confined space didn’t help at all. He has been angry at home before when he sees hallucinations and is convinced there is someone in the room. And when my mum helps him with the loo. He gets agitated if he doesn’t know where to sit or how to turn. We were lucky to have the same passengers on the journey back whom were all understanding. Got home this morning. Today has still been difficult but hoping routine will help get things abit calmer.

hen92

Dec 24, 2018
That was a horrible experience for you. I haven't taken my husband abroad since 2014 to France and the last long haul to the States the year before that. With this illness everything is unpredictable and travel is already stressful without dementia in the mix. Much as you might want to do great things with him you might have to adjust to his new reality. Calm, quiet and routine works best. For me travel is for his past and possibly my future but not for both of us together anymore.
We’ve collectively decided we can’t do any more flights. For him and us. It make me upset knowing a few years ago he would have loved our holiday. You’re definitely right.. routine is what will get us through. I joined talking points yesterday and have been doing loads of reading. My mum has decided exactly the same thing - I know she felt extremely sad this holiday seeing couples happy and enjoying their time together knowing she can’t have that. Thank you for your reply x

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I am sorry to hear of this awful experience. Some years ago I had to bring my mother back from Australia and exactly the same sort of thing happened. To this day I cant understand why, although I have since wondered if the air pressure/ oxygen on the plane was slightly different and caused her terrifying behaviour.
On the plus side, I am glad you managed to go on your Caribbean cruise. There must be some happy times to remember for you all.

hen92

Dec 24, 2018
I am sorry to hear of this awful experience. Some years ago I had to bring my mother back from Australia and exactly the same sort of thing happened. To this day I cant understand why, although I have since wondered if the air pressure/ oxygen on the plane was slightly different and caused her terrifying behaviour.
On the plus side, I am glad you managed to go on your Caribbean cruise. There must be some happy times to remember for you all.
Oh no..like you said I’m trying to just remember all the happy times to get us through each day x

hen92

Dec 24, 2018
My GP told me AFTER a nightmare flight back from Vancouver, that she would have been happy to prescribe a sedative just for the flight.
After our journey there my sister in law who is a physician associate had asked at her work what we could do. They also said the same thing. We had managed to get a sedative out there prescribed from the doctor. However as he was already angry and agitated when he took the first meds it took a lot longer to kick in. And every time he woke up to go loo he’d be angry again. Trying to get him to take the sedative again was a nightmare in itself.