Virtual Christmas thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
The mince pies are out, the fire is on, the tree is sparkling with decorations and the stockings are up. Welcome to your virtual Christmas :)

We thought this thread could be a corner of Talking Point where you can come together and support each other during the festive period. Christmas adverts, songs and films tell us that it's the most wonderful time of the year, but the reality isn't always like that. It's ok if you are finding the holidays difficult, or you find yourself struggling.

Be kind to yourself over the holidays, and remember that you don't have to deal with things alone. As well as Talking Point which is available 24/7, the Helpline is here to offer support and a listening ear if you need to talk to someone. You can find out when the Helpline will be open over Christmas and the New Year >here<

We wish you all a peaceful Christmas,

The Talking Point Team

bauble.jpg

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is it also OK to love the bones of Christmas, to have had decorations up for weeks and to look forward to some peace and quiet, nice food and TV? I've always preferred a quiet Christmas, even and because of John. I'm annoyed that illness has laid me low and made me tired but I've done everything that I needed to do. At the same time I know how hard it is when the Day Centre just closes for over a week and you're suddenly stuck indoors so I hope you'll all get some well-earned rest.

Merry Christmas!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I didn’t realise you’ve been unwell @Beate. I hope you feel better soon.
Our decorations are up and I need to spend today wrapping presents & cleaning up.
This is my 3rd Christmas without my Dad but I still reach for the huge toblerone when I see it in the shop & get upset because it’s not needed.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I didn’t realise you’ve been unwell @Beate. I hope you feel better soon.
Our decorations are up and I need to spend today wrapping presents & cleaning up.
This is my 3rd Christmas without my Dad but I still reach for the huge toblerone when I see it in the shop & get upset because it’s not needed.
I sympathise my Dad's favourite used to be a Chocolate orange. His granddaughter always got him one for Christmas and his birthday . This will be our first Christmas without him.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I sympathise my Dad's favourite used to be a Chocolate orange. His granddaughter always got him one for Christmas and his birthday . This will be our first Christmas without him.

It’s the little things that get us. Thinking of you over Christmas.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
It’s the little things that get us. Thinking of you over Christmas.
Thank you . I will look back to last Christmas which he really enjoyed and remembered even talking about it in hospital just before he passed away.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Susan, my OHs favourite was chocolate orange as well, preferably the dark chocolate one. I picked up one last time I was shopping, it seemed to be a lot smaller! Decided against!

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi Susan, my OHs favourite was chocolate orange as well, preferably the dark chocolate one. I picked up one last time I was shopping, it seemed to be a lot smaller! Decided against!
Definitely the dark chocolate one ☺☺ Best wishes Susan

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas. This is my third Christmas without Bill. It would also have been our 40th wedding anniversary on 29th December. Everything makes me think of him. They’re not all sad memories, there are happy and funny ones too.

I like the idea of the virtual Christmas card @maryjoan. Lovely. I’ll use this as mine.

4C9C5F6D-BF4B-4972-AFB3-FEEE16C454E4.jpeg

Merry Christmas (if not merry then at least peaceful).

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas. This is my third Christmas without Bill. It would also have been our 40th wedding anniversary on 29th December. Everything makes me think of him. They’re not all sad memories, there are happy and funny ones too.

I like the idea of the virtual Christmas card @maryjoan. Lovely. I’ll use this as mine.

View attachment 60247

Merry Christmas (if not merry then at least peaceful).
What a lovely Christmas card...... and happy memories on the 29th for you xxxx
Talking about Christmas memories - as foster parents we took on a 4 month old baby on the 21st December 1978 - for a fortnight - today she is our much loved daughter and this is what she put on facebook last night - moved me to tears....... as these photographs are very old and show no ID - I have no qualms in sharing them with you....

upload_2018-12-22_12-11-32.png

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @maryjoan - how beautiful! Such a heartwarming story! Even more so for me at this minute. I'm awaiting the arrival of my two young friends and their whirlwind of a two and a half year old! One year ago last week he came to live with them having been in foster care (with a wonderful couple) since birth. Not long ago the adoption was finalised. He is such a beautiful happy little boy and I hope that in 40 years time he has the same feelings as your daughter. Thanks for sharing that.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh @maryjoan - how beautiful! Such a heartwarming story! Even more so for me at this minute. I'm awaiting the arrival of my two young friends and their whirlwind of a two and a half year old! One year ago last week he came to live with them having been in foster care (with a wonderful couple) since birth. Not long ago the adoption was finalised. He is such a beautiful happy little boy and I hope that in 40 years time he has the same feelings as your daughter. Thanks for sharing that.

I also used to foster pre adoption babies from birth to about 6 weeks - I received my usual Christmas card off one of them this year - he must be about 38 by now........

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

He will have - and it is something to look forward to....
We have had a whirlwind of a life with my daughter - her sister 'found' her some years ago, and that ended up with me taking both of them to their biological father's funeral, and at the funeral meeting their mother for the first time! You couldn't make it up..... but my daughter and her sister are very close now.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I havn't been around for a while . Just wanted to wish everyone a merry Christmas xx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 352

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is my virtual Christmas card to everyone on TP, friends old and new, and loving thoughts of those no longer with us.

animated-christmas-card-image-0070.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.