Inspection Report

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
Hi everyone,
Just to let you know we have just received the Key Unannounced Inspection Report on the home my mother died in on May 8th this year. They were inspected on 2nd, 3rd and 9th June.This is a direct quote "The quality rating for this home has been given as 0*, this means that the people who use this service experience poor quality outcomes."

I cannot believe we put our mother into such a place.

SkiTTish

Sep 13, 2008
Oh Nancy ,please dont beat yourself up
The place we chose for mums respite perfomed very well and had a great rating....
She managed to escape ,got sores on her feet from wearing another residents shoes and lost half her clothing :rolleyes:
Another carehome ,that had the best rating possible , we turned down after visiting as it stank or stale urine everywhere and was broken down ,decrepit and dirty :rolleyes:
Dont hold too much faith in the ratings tbh :eek:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Nancy, but what were the reports like one year before? These reports are very subjective, and do not necessarily tell us what care our parents are likely to get. Ask yourself if you considered that your mum was not well looked after, really.

A rating of 0 could have been due to poor recording systems rather than poor treatment of the residents.

Thin on it, Nancy, were you really unhappy with the treatment, or is the care reports that you are unhappy with?

Love

Margaret

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Nancy,

Please do not blame youself. When we do checks on these so called Care Homes we expect them to be truthful.

I am so sorry to have had to experience this but several members on Talking Point have had similar problems.

Best wishes
Christine

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
After visting the top rated care home, we walked out thinking gosh what will the rest be like, the care home Mum is in is rated a 2 (I was told it was because its an old listed building, not sure if thats true) but it felt right to us, and Mum has settled OK. All we can go on is our gut feelings at the time. Please try not to feel any guilt, when Mum ws placed in the care home, it obviously felt right at the time, and that is all any of us can do.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
NancyD said:
I cannot believe we put our mother into such a place.

Hi Nancy,

My mum died as a result of a fall in a C/H and at present there is a investigation into what happened. All I can do is HOPE for the truth to be told.

One important thing I have learnt is that 'All that glisters isn't gold' nothing I can do can change what happened but I have learnt a lot and I guess that's what life is about LEARNING and not making the same mistakes twice.

When I inspected the home and discussed mum's needs the welfare officer looked at me puzzled and said the needs mentioned were a part of daily personnel care routine carried out by the carers. This is what a C/H is all about, I left with good feelings and I did trust them and was relieved that I would only need to concentrate on seeing that mum felt she was still a big part of our family life. I still to this day can't believe how gullible I was.

Each time I read about someones loved one being cared for so well it does restore my faith in humanity. In mum's case I believe it comes down to the mighty dollar and would be the first to apologise if proven wrong. Here in Australia there is no mandatory staff resident ratio so it is all up to the manager. I think at the end of the day it all rests with morals some C/H's do the right thing and some don't.

The events that took place the night mum fell I felt morally obliged to speak out against this home, but, if anyone else see's it that way, it remains to be seen. Mum's case was accepted for investigation and I wait the findings.There is no joy in any of this only Hope that there is improvements for the other residents.

Take Care Nancy,
Caring Thoughts, Taffy.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Margaret W said:
were you really unhappy with the treatment, or is the care reports that you are unhappy with

That's such a good point.

I think care homes vary in the standard of care from home to home - because it is the people who set the standard.

The people are: the management, the care staff, the residents, the relations.

Because change is a constant - staff come and go, residents come and go, relations vary in whether they ever go to the home, and the frequency - any report can only take a snapshot of a particular time. And of course there is another variable there - the person copiling the report may be good, or not so good, competent, not so competent.

Residents make a huge difference to the functioning of a home.

Jan's home supports those people with dementia who are most challenging in their care needs. The manager said to me this week that 'it is the place used when no other home can cope'.

Over the years, the care has been excellent and this has meant that residents have lived longer than they might otherwise have done. The staff have grown to understand the residents' needs.

Last week, after a rare death, a new resident was immediately moved in - space is like gold dust in a place like this.

He has turned the place into a war zone! He is a big man, and is at the continuous walking stage, and always trying to get out. He also doesn't like men, particularly men of about his size. One filipino male carer spends much of his time moving away from wherever this resident is because he is always attacked by him.

This impinges on other residents and their care.

This weekend, the main doors to enter the home were all blocked off with settees, as the maintenance man added more security locks after this new resident managed to break out a few times.

This man also attacks other residents - male ones.

So, looking at the home at present, if I were an inspector, I would say it is not at all good. As a very frequent visitor I would say otherwise - the care staff are making immense efforts to safeguard both the new resident, and the existing ones, and to provide their normal high level of care.

With highly challenging residents like the new one, I see no problems in any medication that works being used to cope with their behaviour, for the good of the other residents and the level of care within the home.

The measure of a home is in the standard of care we see being given to our loved ones. While I contribute to the CSCI report for Jan's home, I don't read it. I regard myself as the inspector, and try to help the home to improve when I spot any chinks in their armour.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to visit so often, being so close etc. of course.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
I had the privilege of visiting my Mum last week when the CSCI inspector happened to have come in to do her report, so she spoke to me - and I her to her! It was quite interesting to see that end of things as obviously I had read the reports when I was looking for somewhere for Mum/Dad last year.

I agree with what others have said that the reports can only be a guide really. The first home I put my Mum and Dad in had an excellent report from the inspectors, but the home was unable to cope with my Mum. Where Mum is now is less glamorous and more basic, and only gets a "good" rating, but in my experience it is far far better for Mum and the staff are much more caring and equipped to deal with her. The home is very like the one Bruce's Jan is in. There are some very challenging residents (my Mum is probably top of the list!)

I think a lot of it comes down to "gut feeling" when visiting a potential home. I just "knew" straight away that Mum's new home would be right for her and this has proved to be the case.

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
I dont think many of you can remember What we were going through in February earlier this year.My mother was suffering from pneumonia and the home did not send for any medical aid. We as a family had to send her to hospital. She would have died if we had not sent her to hospital.The home smelled disgusting. My mother was restricted from going to the toilet.I think she starved herself to death because of the situation she was in.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

There are good homes and unfortunately,there are some bad homes.

Maybe some of you will remember my misgivings about the home Mum was being transferred to for NHS continuing care. I didn't have any choice, this was the only place to deal with challenging behaviour.

The care commission report read like a horror story, there was also an article on BBC about someone being left in a bath.

My Mum has been there since January and I think the staff do a wonderful job, not perfect, but then if someone knows of a perfect home, I would be grateful for the address:rolleyes: Since they looked after Mum so well, I moved Dad there also, although a different unit.

The care commission, as has been said is a tool, but I think, they do an inspection with a pro forma and tick boxes. I would be much more impressed if they worked in a home for a week.

I am not against the care commission. A control of some sort is needed, but it isn't doing enough.
So therefore, I think it is again down to the relatives to visit often and "police" their loved one's care by being observant and sensible.

Just read what I've written, sorry didn't mean to lecture

love
Alfjess

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
That is all very well when you are happy with the care but what are we supposed to do when we are not. Your comments dont really help Alfjess.

Last edited:

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
I agree totally with what Alfjess has said. Fortunately my Mum's home is only a 20 minute drive away, so I make short visits quite often and always ask to read her notes and chat to staff about how she has been and also talk to other residents/visitors to get a good view of what is happening when I'm not there. Before my Mum went there she was six months in the psychiatric unit at the local NHS hospital and my fear was "would any home be able to cope with her behaviour" - she throws things, hits people, you name it. I am just so pleased to have found somewhere where they can handle her tantrums. It isn't perfect but the genuine concern of the staff is a pleasure to see.

When I spoke to the CSCI inspector, she did admit that because I was the only visitor at the time, she couldn't get the view of any other visitor and it was quite possible that she would get a different view of things if she did.

So as others have said, it is really down to basic common sense in the end.

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
So does that mean my family and I have no basic common sense because we were not happy with my mothers care? I am well aware of differing standards in care homes but when you dont have a choice and you watch your mother suffering what are you supposed to do?

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
I'm so sorry Nancy, the last thing I wanted to do was offend. It must have been the worst thing in the world watching a loved one suffer so much and being helpless to do anything about it.

My comment was really for those who are looking for a home and monitoring the situation along the way.

Sorry again for the hurt.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My comment was really for those who are looking for a home and monitoring the situation along the way.

Yes so that mean a home that gets a Zero rating is a home to avoid.

The quality rating for this home has been given as 0*, this means that the people who use this service experience poor quality outcomes."

The star rating have only stated to happen in the last year, from what we are reading in what happen to your mother Nancy it seem that its all been put in place bit to late for your mother .

My mother been in a quite a few different respite care in the 2 year, social services alway find the placement for my mother, mum been to some that I would not send her back to , So now understand how the System works in reading those report & that care home report was told that it needed loads of improvement.

& the one that she has been to that are good good are always fully book up.

When the star rating started to happen the Manger of the home that was really good only got One star rating because the Fan in the Kitchen was not working .

Another care home that near me , I was wondering of putting mum in got a really bad report , then when the rating stated to happen the report was amazing good , they had done all the improvement that the inspection had said needed room for improvement .

Respite care home mum just got back from got 3 star rating, must say that I visited twice without them knowing can understand why they got 3 star rating

I think the rating are good , It keep the mangers of care homes on there toes .

Last edited:

Prague09

Jul 22, 2008
essex
Awful

Oh Nancy I feel so sorry for you.

Bad homes have an excellent cover with this type of illness as basically who is going to believe someone with confusion and poor memory. Prague 09

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Dear Nancy

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to critisise you or your family.

I just meant to point the way for those looking for a care home and that in my opinion, the Scottish care commission doesn't always get it right.

it is soo difficult to give the care of our loved ones over to other people and we can only hope and pray that they will care for them as we do.

Again sorry, I didn;t mean to add to your problems

Alfjess

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I am now going to waffle and appear to be an expert, which I am not.

If I had found a care home for mum with a rating of zero, she would not have gone there. Full stop. I could not in all honesty ignore the CSCI rating of zero. It might have been a great home in some respects, but I could not do it. I have to say we didn't come across a home with such a rating. Nor with any with ratings of 1. We had several with ratings of 2 and 3, and only one with 4. The one with a rating of 4 was way out of our price range, and to my mind only because of the furnishings. So we looked at those rated 2 and 3. In the end we had no choice, cos of the three homes rated 2 and 3, only one had a place, it happened to be a home previously rated 2 but which had just risen to 3. I had lots of issues with it in the first six months, and so did mum, but given a year on and I wouldn't want her anywhere else. I can still improve the place but she is well looked after, the staff are kind and loving, the food is good, it is clean and well maintained. Yes, I could improve it but you are never going to get the perfect place for your £500 a week.

What I really need to address now is why am I paying this £500 a week for a person who has to be in a home. It wasn't a voluntary admission, it was essential. That is an issue for the government.

Mum is safe, warm, comfortable, staff are kind, everyone is clean (and they have their fair share of incontinent residents), there is no smell (well maybe the odd whiff which I think is unavoidable), and they are well fed. I'd like more activities to be offered, but mum doesn't seem bothered about them any more.

So, I am saying, take note of the CSCI reports, but don't treat them as gospel. Look at places for yourself, but at the end of the day, you don't know what a place is like till your rellie has settled in it (and it has taken my mum a full year to "settle"). Phew. I don't want her anywhere else.

Love to all, and sorry if I have missed some points.

Margaret

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Margaret W said:
If I had found a care home for mum with a rating of zero, she would not have gone there. Full stop. I could not in all honesty ignore the CSCI rating of zero.

Margaret, Unless I have the horse before the cart the CSCI rating of zero was placed after Nancy's mum died. The inspection was a result of a letter of concern sent in by Nancy because of the lack of care Nancy's mam received. Regards, Taffy.

Dear Nancy,

Adult children are conditioned to the likelihood of losing parents but not to the neglect your mother received from the very ones who were suppose to CARE. I'm sorry your grief has being magnified by these facts and only wish that all care facilities could get it right. I hope that you can work through this grief I have no answers I wish I did for myself as well.

Caring Thoughts, Taffy.