Diaper rash

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
carer came in tonight to shower mum and has said mum has a nasty rash on her bum which mum has been scratching and it has started to bleed, I am sure this is due to mums incontinence and refusing to change into dry inco pants, mums bed is wet every morning and she will change then but will not wash and then wears the same ones until carer comes in on evening, arrangements are being made for a care call in the mornings but this is not going to happen befor Christmas. Could anyone recommend some off the shelf cream that would help? Not sure what to buy have asked my daughter what she uses for my grandchildren but doesn’t use any as she has never had this problem and I can’t remember ever using creams on my lot either so am a bit lost on what to buy.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My vote is for Cavilon which seems to allow the skin to breathe. You can buy it over the counter or online. Just be aware that the skin should be clean and dry before applying the cream because you don't want to trap irritants under the barrier. We tried a number of creams with my mum until Cavilon was prescribed by the (incontinence) district nurse. Conventional baby creams like Sudocrem, Vaseline etc. tend to be too sticky and prevent the skin from sweating, so moisture gets trapped under the cream, and this can cause skin breakdown. They're OK if you can't find anything else to soothe and protect, but try to get Cavilon if you can, and prescribed if possible because it's not cheap.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
On a side note you can get pads or other incontinence pants provided from the continence service on prescription if you haven't already done that and they will deliver them in bulk for 4/6 weeks supply,that's done by a GP referral,ask for cavilon to use as a barrier and ask for it as a repeat,you can also ask for a good cleaning agent such as Proshield foam and spray which cleans all of those areas down below and leaves a nice pleasant smell they will give you that on repeat too.
There are different types of sheets to catch urine,we use disposable sheets that you have to buy yourself,you can get sheets that you can get bed pads called kylie sheets that absorb urine and you can wash those and use again.
If you ever have a community nurse that visits your home,they can order certain items,such as air cushions for chairs etc
Have you had any contact with the community nurses I have found them a great help,they operate outside of GP hours evenings and weekends and so if you have something that you're concerned about they will usually visit within 24 hours and can give you advice,I have been told to ring them if there is anything I'm worried about and that helps me to feel more at ease knowing that they are there,I have had them out on loads of occasions if the carers have flagged anything of concern.
I know that's a lot more than you asked but thought you might find some of those things handy.

Last edited:

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
I agree that Cavilon is excellent, especially if you can get it prescribed (we had poor experiences with Sorbaderm, which is cheaper and not as effective). If you get a continence nurse helping you it maybe that they can ask the GP to prescribe.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
carer came in tonight to shower mum and has said mum has a nasty rash on her bum which mum has been scratching and it has started to bleed, I am sure this is due to mums incontinence and refusing to change into dry inco pants, mums bed is wet every morning and she will change then but will not wash and then wears the same ones until carer comes in on evening, arrangements are being made for a care call in the mornings but this is not going to happen befor Christmas. Could anyone recommend some off the shelf cream that would help? Not sure what to buy have asked my daughter what she uses for my grandchildren but doesn’t use any as she has never had this problem and I can’t remember ever using creams on my lot either so am a bit lost on what to buy.
The local pharmacist should be able to give you good advice and they will probably deliver as well. I found getting to know M&D pharmacist was one of the best things I did .

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
Thank you for your replies I bought some soda cream and asked for cavilon but they had none in stock so pharmacist recommended another cream which was very expensive but if it works it will be worth it.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thank you for your replies I bought some soda cream and asked for cavilon but they had none in stock so pharmacist recommended another cream which was very expensive but if it works it will be worth it.[/QUOTE

These creams are prescribed ,another barrier that we are given when they aren't able to supply any stock of cavilon is called Medi Derma and our carers apply that,once in the morning and then at tea or bed time,I can't remember which

Baggybreeks

Mar 22, 2017
Scotland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew