FI L- not long now.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello all,
Hope you are OK. Hubby got a text in the night that his dad is really bad now . The Dr has been and given him oramorph and has said it will be sooner than later. Family are doing the vigil. Sooner rather than later is not a lot of use. Are we talking hrs/days or a couple of weeks. I know this time is very fluid, but hubby is due to be at home about the 28th for 24hrs to see his dad. I really want him to manage that. He wants to too. I fear his dad won't make it. We fly to the UK on 23rd.

Any insight on the situation would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. A hard time for all of you.

I think it would be very difficult for anyone to give a timescale here. Everyone's situation is different. My own husband became very ill on a Saturday and was admitted to hospital. He died 8 days later. We were preparing to bring him home for his last days or weeks but he died before we could organise that.

It must be so hard for you being far away. I'm sorry that's not of much help to you. Just my experience.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
I'm so sorry to read your news. A hard time for all of you.

I think it would be very difficult for anyone to give a timescale here. Everyone's situation is different. My own husband became very ill on a Saturday and was admitted to hospital. He died 8 days later. We were preparing to bring him home for his last days or weeks but he died before we could organise that.

It must be so hard for you being far away. I'm sorry that's not of much help to you. Just my experience.

You are up early in Scotland. :/ It has just gone 8am here. No problem that you couldn't help much. It is good to get other stories and know I'm not alone. A comfort. I asked hubby if he will contact his sister who messages him , he said no. I think he is doing the hiding thing at the moment. I think all I want is for him to see him. Everyone walks their own path at the end though and if it is time it is time. :(

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm sorry to read about your father in law. It's especially hard at this time of year. My own dad passed away on Sunday night only 13 minutes after the Carehome called and told me I needed to get there as quickly as possible. We didn't get to say goodbye as I would've liked but for dad it means no more suffering.

If your husband is also too late getting to his dad I hope he can take some comfort in the fact that his suffering is over.
Thinking of you

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
I'm sorry to read about your father in law. It's especially hard at this time of year. My own dad passed away on Sunday night only 13 minutes after the Carehome called and told me I needed to get there as quickly as possible. We didn't get to say goodbye as I would've liked but for dad it means no more suffering.

If your husband is also too late getting to his dad I hope he can take some comfort in the fact that his suffering is over.
Thinking of you

Thanks. Sorry for your loss. Difficult times.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum survived 17 days without food or fluid, but from the time that mums care home contacted me to say that the end was coming and that I should inform all her relatives it was 3 days. It is impossible to predict with certainty, but if your dad is being given oramorph then I think it unlikely that he will last weeks.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
My mum survived 17 days without food or fluid, but from the time that mums care home contacted me to say that the end was coming and that I should inform all her relatives it was 3 days. It is impossible to predict with certainty, but if your dad is being given oramorph then I think it unlikely that he will last weeks.

Thanks.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
My mum died 6 days after being put on end of life care but she was still talking and I thought she had longer. When I got the call to say there wasn't long, it was just hours and I missed her by 10 minutes. But like others I was glad she wasn't suffering any more. I hope your husbsnd manages to get there but it sometimes just isn't possible. It's tough being far away. Look after each other too.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
My mum died 6 days after being put on end of life care but she was still talking and I thought she had longer. When I got the call to say there wasn't long, it was just hours and I missed her by 10 minutes. But like others I was glad she wasn't suffering any more. I hope your husbsnd manages to get there but it sometimes just isn't possible. It's tough being far away. Look after each other too.

Thanks for your story. FI L has has 2 good days ie semi -awake, yesterday watching Mary poppins and today head phones on listening to music. I'm hopeful that he will last till next week end. He is syringe fed morphine and forsip. Take one day at a time .

Take care, thanks for the kind words.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Once my father was on morphine, he went after a day sadly. Pretty sure it varies.

This was the same with my husband.

My husband had aspiration pneumonia. I was warned death may come quickly once the morphine in the syringe driver was in place and it proved to be correct.

Welcome to the forum @Marywin. I hope you will find it supportive and helpful.