Our mum has a broken heart

Mollly505

Jan 28, 2017
Hello

I posted a few months ago, after the sudden death of my father at the age of 73.

My mum (71) is in a care home with FTD. He would visit her once a week and she loved his visits. He would take her out to lunch and it was the highlight of her week.

It's now been 12 weeks since he died and 13 weeks since he visited and I think she has realised he is not coming any more. She is very sad and withdrawn. She is not eating meals but will graze on biscuits and crisps only. She is being seen by the GP, psychiatrist and psychologist so there is a good team in place.

It feels like she has given up and has nothing to live for now, when previously his visits kept her going. Her mother died when she was young and she keeps talking about her and worrying she is ok. She talks about her Dad not coming but we think she means her husband.

It's really tough and I am not sure there is much we can do, except what we are already doing. My sister and I both visit independently once a week.

My mum was told about our Dad soon after he died and at the time she cried and told everyone her husband had died. But now she doesn't talk about him specifically but obviously realises there is this huge loss.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience with someone with dementia who had lost a loved one, and how they reacted.

Many thanks, x

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
@Mollly505 sorry to read of your loss. I do hope your mum picks up soon & adjusts to life without your dad. It must be so very hard for you & your sister.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hello

I posted a few months ago, after the sudden death of my father at the age of 73.

My mum (71) is in a care home with FTD. He would visit her once a week and she loved his visits. He would take her out to lunch and it was the highlight of her week.

It's now been 12 weeks since he died and 13 weeks since he visited and I think she has realised he is not coming any more. She is very sad and withdrawn. She is not eating meals but will graze on biscuits and crisps only. She is being seen by the GP, psychiatrist and psychologist so there is a good team in place.

It feels like she has given up and has nothing to live for now, when previously his visits kept her going. Her mother died when she was young and she keeps talking about her and worrying she is ok. She talks about her Dad not coming but we think she means her husband.

It's really tough and I am not sure there is much we can do, except what we are already doing. My sister and I both visit independently once a week.

My mum was told about our Dad soon after he died and at the time she cried and told everyone her husband had died. But now she doesn't talk about him specifically but obviously realises there is this huge loss.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience with someone with dementia who had lost a loved one, and how they reacted.

Many thanks, x
Hi Molly So sad and at such a young age. Your Mum is only 2 years older than me. Xxx

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
My father died in October, age 79. We had to go and tell my mother who has Mixed Dementia. She was absolutely heartbroken and the care home said she didn't stop crying for a few days.

When I saw her on Boxing Day she was asking if he is getting better. I simply said he's still in hospital to have physio on his legs to make him stronger. She seemed to accept it although it was a shock to hear her asking about him. She has clearly forgotten he has died, and it would be wrong to reminder her of it. So a little white lie seemed to get round it. Very hard.