Just letting go

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
I'm just so weary. I've been caring for my mother with undiagnosed dementia for over four years. I've been to the doctors several times but they won't or can't help. I have no support and no other family.

My mother is very emotionally and often physically aggressive. One of the triggers seems to be me showing any emotion at all. For example, my father died in February - they have been apart for a long time - and within 48 hours I was being screamed at and hit being told what a selfish bitch I am and what a **** my father was. All I had done was shut a door - not loudly - not realising she was trying to sleep. These scenes would happen daily if not for a huge amount of self control on my part.

But these past few days a combination of the stress of caring for someone so irrational and, I suppose, suppressed grief, bubbled up and I had a little cry. My mother found me and told me to pull myself together. When I quietly suggested that wasn't a very kind response the eruption happened and all the usual violence and vitriol flowed freely out. I'm a bitch, horrible, never done anything for her. I'm a nasty little self indulgent moaner who only thinks about myself. When I tried to calm her down I get the usual threats of suicide or death from the upset of having such a hideous daughter. Obviously the fact I have given up work and my social life and spend day after day trying to manage someone who has no self-regulation at all is discounted. And the irony is she cries pretty several times every day, although she'd never acknowledge this, and I'll scoop her up and give her a hug when she's upset.

I'm just so tired and actually at this point in time don't feel I can go on like this. It will probably all feel a bit brighter in the morning. But I have literally nobody who can help. I have no close relatives still alive and my mother has cut off all her friends. I have no idea what I can do to get any help at all. I can't call in social services without the doctor suggesting to my mother she needs extra support because this would just reaffirm my mother's paranoia. And because her main symptoms are still this emotional response and aggression, it won't necessarily show to a stranger in a brief visit. There are plenty of other symptoms like not knowing what is true and what is not, but only I recognise this because I'm the only witness to her everyday life. I honestly feel the doctors don't believe a word I'm saying and I just feel totally alone and without a route to help.

Sorry to vent like this but I just feel the need to let it go a little.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Sweetheart, you need help and you need it now. I am not an authority any more and I am
a little out of touch with how things happen as I understand that there has been yet another rearrangement of the care services - and I am no longer a carer. There will be someone along in a while who can direct you to some definite help/contacts/websites etc.
Your mother needs an assessment. If she won't get herself assessed then at least you need a carers' assessment and this will start the ball rolling for your mother. I'm in Somerset and the new group to go to for us is Community Council Somerset - so I assume there will be something like that where you live. Your GP surgery will also have a carers' champion (or some such term) so go to them and ask who it is and what support there is for carers - if nothing else they will register you as a carer for your mum. It doesn't matter if she is diagnosed or not; they have this information and can provide it to you. That again will give you information and contacts.
Can I ask why you gave up work and your social life? You sound at the end of your tether and perhaps with some outside help you could manage for a while and learn some 'tricks of the trade' to get around some of the tantrums - but you can't do this on your own.
Hang in there for more info from more informed sources than me!

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
Sweetheart, you need help and you need it now. I am not an authority any more and I am
a little out of touch with how things happen as I understand that there has been yet another rearrangement of the care services - and I am no longer a carer. There will be someone along in a while who can direct you to some definite help/contacts/websites etc.
Your mother needs an assessment. If she won't get herself assessed then at least you need a carers' assessment and this will start the ball rolling for your mother. I'm in Somerset and the new group to go to for us is Community Council Somerset - so I assume there will be something like that where you live. Your GP surgery will also have a carers' champion (or some such term) so go to them and ask who it is and what support there is for carers - if nothing else they will register you as a carer for your mum. It doesn't matter if she is diagnosed or not; they have this information and can provide it to you. That again will give you information and contacts.
Can I ask why you gave up work and your social life? You sound at the end of your tether and perhaps with some outside help you could manage for a while and learn some 'tricks of the trade' to get around some of the tantrums - but you can't do this on your own.
Hang in there for more info from more informed sources than me!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write. It all happened as much by accident as design really. I moved in with my mother, supposedly on a temporary basis, while I looked for a house nearby. I didn't find one quickly and the longer I was with my mother the clearer it became she couldn't cope in her home alone, so I stayed. Similarly, with work, I work on freelance basis so when work came to an end I'd find something more part time to be with her more, and then she'd struggle more.... I'm now down to one day a week from home. And social life is simply a combination of her being fearful of being alone, but refusing anyone to come and sit with her. Even if I pop out to walk the dog she asks me not to be long and often calls me while I'm out. She hates being without me there - although she'd never admit it - but won't have anyone else. I'm aiming to meet friends next week and she's been stressing about this for weeks already - "I don't like you going," "But it's a Friday and the roads will be awful," "The weather forecast is terrible, you won't be going,". Every bit of freedom comes at such a price of remaining calm against the odds and weathering so many emotional storms. I know this sounds pathetic but the weight of carrying those moods and tantrums. And I genuinely feel for her so much with her fear. She has heart problems and is often breathless and I think she finds this in itself quite frightening which is totally understandable. I don't want to leave her feeling vulnerable and afraid, but I do need the odd hour or day to myself. Thank you again.

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
I'm just so weary. I've been caring for my mother with undiagnosed dementia for over four years. I've been to the doctors several times but they won't or can't help. I have no support and no other family.

My mother is very emotionally and often physically aggressive. One of the triggers seems to be me showing any emotion at all. For example, my father died in February - they have been apart for a long time - and within 48 hours I was being screamed at and hit being told what a selfish bitch I am and what a **** my father was. All I had done was shut a door - not loudly - not realising she was trying to sleep. These scenes would happen daily if not for a huge amount of self control on my part.

But these past few days a combination of the stress of caring for someone so irrational and, I suppose, suppressed grief, bubbled up and I had a little cry. My mother found me and told me to pull myself together. When I quietly suggested that wasn't a very kind response the eruption happened and all the usual violence and vitriol flowed freely out. I'm a bitch, horrible, never done anything for her. I'm a nasty little self indulgent moaner who only thinks about myself. When I tried to calm her down I get the usual threats of suicide or death from the upset of having such a hideous daughter. Obviously the fact I have given up work and my social life and spend day after day trying to manage someone who has no self-regulation at all is discounted. And the irony is she cries pretty several times every day, although she'd never acknowledge this, and I'll scoop her up and give her a hug when she's upset.

I'm just so tired and actually at this point in time don't feel I can go on like this. It will probably all feel a bit brighter in the morning. But I have literally nobody who can help. I have no close relatives still alive and my mother has cut off all her friends. I have no idea what I can do to get any help at all. I can't call in social services without the doctor suggesting to my mother she needs extra support because this would just reaffirm my mother's paranoia. And because her main symptoms are still this emotional response and aggression, it won't necessarily show to a stranger in a brief visit. There are plenty of other symptoms like not knowing what is true and what is not, but only I recognise this because I'm the only witness to her everyday life. I honestly feel the doctors don't believe a word I'm saying and I just feel totally alone and without a route to help.

Sorry to vent like this but I just feel the need to let it go a little.
Hi There, I just couldn't read and leave your post. You are in such a difficult situation and I really feel for you. Like me you seem to have been engulfed by the caring situation. What starts as little support increases and increases until you are tied to the person. I arrived at the point where I was doing all the day to day things like meals, washing, shopping, buying clothes, paying bills. This developed into getting mum up and dressed followed by putting her to bed and going home. In no time I was sleeping at mum's and getting up 10 to 15 times through the night and not leaving her side. In the end I was even doing the thinking of what to say at the doctors and the conversations with relatives who would visit and go! I did find the GP helpful but after seeking an assessment (I was told that was the way forward) Social Services were quite happy for me to continue whilst they retreated into the background. It broke my heart and I always said it wouldn't happen but I had to find a care home for mum, sell her house to pay for it and continue to support her in that setting with my new "extended family". They have been fantastic and without their care for mum and me I dread to think what would have happened. I'm sorry for rambling about my situation but looking back over the last 18 months that mum has been in care I realise that there is no way I could manage with her at home without massive support. My regret is that in the early days she knew she was "in a home" and I had always promised it wouldn't happen. Sending a hug and the advice that you must get some help either in your home to give you some respite or in residential care xxxx

WanderingMary

Oct 18, 2017
Hi There, I just couldn't read and leave your post. You are in such a difficult situation and I really feel for you. Like me you seem to have been engulfed by the caring situation. What starts as little support increases and increases until you are tied to the person. I arrived at the point where I was doing all the day to day things like meals, washing, shopping, buying clothes, paying bills. This developed into getting mum up and dressed followed by putting her to bed and going home. In no time I was sleeping at mum's and getting up 10 to 15 times through the night and not leaving her side. In the end I was even doing the thinking of what to say at the doctors and the conversations with relatives who would visit and go! I did find the GP helpful but after seeking an assessment (I was told that was the way forward) Social Services were quite happy for me to continue whilst they retreated into the background. It broke my heart and I always said it wouldn't happen but I had to find a care home for mum, sell her house to pay for it and continue to support her in that setting with my new "extended family". They have been fantastic and without their care for mum and me I dread to think what would have happened. I'm sorry for rambling about my situation but looking back over the last 18 months that mum has been in care I realise that there is no way I could manage with her at home without massive support. My regret is that in the early days she knew she was "in a home" and I had always promised it wouldn't happen. Sending a hug and the advice that you must get some help either in your home to give you some respite or in residential care xxxx
Thank you x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @WanderingMary, that is a dreadful situation for you and I think you should phone the help line. There are also a couple of Society Factsheets that may be of benefit to you. The links to the factsheets are below - click the PDF lines for an easy read.

You do not need to suffer physical violence. Remove yourself to a place of safety if this looks like it will start. Also, this may sound harsh, but you should report any assault to the police - not least because that will create a paper trail which may be useful when seeking help from Social Services.

Assessment for care and support in England (418)
PDF printable version

Aggressive behaviour (509)
PDF printable version

Carers: Looking after yourself (523)
PDF printable version

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was very concerned when I read that you are suffering violence. No-one should have to suffer that.

I totally agree with karaokePete - keep a charged phone on you at all times, work out a place of safety with an exit (even if its only a window) that you can lock and do not hesitate to call the police.

As has been said - the police will report back to SS and create a paper trail, which will make it easier to seek help.

I am assuming that your GP wont refer her to the memory clinic - some GPs are useless like that. Can you see another GP in the practice? I would recommend that you go and see a GP about your mum. The GP wont be able to discuss this with you (because of patient confidentiality), but is able to listen. Tell him/her exactly what is going on and ask if he/she would be willing to book an appointment for something like a "well woman" appointment or similar for your mum, which is actually just a ploy to get her there.