So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’ve just made a phone call to my cousin and his wife. Last Friday, she ricked her ankle. It was very sore and when she looked at it a bit of bone was sticking out. So she put cold water on a flannel and pressed it on the break and it went back in. Four days later she goes to local hospital, mainly because her sis has been nagging. Yes, it’s broken (!). So she’s got a boot to wear for the next six weeks! And she’s waiting to go to the fracture clinic. I willl admit they were away when it happened.
But really! I hit the roof! Said have you told A and B? Relatives who are both nurses. Well, no. That’s because neither of them would have spared their tongue. So she had a lecture from me, advice on what changes to watch for, I am afraid of sepsis. But really! I was flabbergasted. But not surprised.

Some people!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar and JM, lovely that you two were able to meet up for a natter :) JM, hope all is going OK for your Dau - wishing her lots of luck x

Ouch on your cousins' wifes' ankle, Spamar - like Slugsta, admire her fortitude but flipping heck - such a serious thing to ignore! Hope she makes a swift recovery!

Slugsta, hope all is going OK for you and yours? xxxx

2jays, Amy, Celia, canary and everyone else - hope you guys are OK too?

Youngest has finally started her driving lessons (heaven help us all!). She had been recommended two instructors, and booked lessons with both before deciding which one she was going to stick with. She didn't seem at all nervous, but didn't like the second instructor, who she dubbed 'rude' - when I asked why, she said on both lessons, she clipped the kerb once or twice. The first instructor reassured her, the second snapped at her (her words) to be careful of his car. So, she is sticking with the first instructor, and now fitting in lessons around her shifts at work. Son has also started both driving lessons and his new job! He is currently working as Officer support at a prison near him, waiting for a place on an officer training course. So far, so good - a bit of me is hoping that he decides to stick with the support role, a lot safer than the officer role! He is working Christmas Eve and some of Christmas day, though - but is then off for 4 days after Christmas. So, OH will pick him up from work at 5 on Xmas day, and we'll just have a (very) late Christmas dinner. Not complaining - at least he will be home for Christmas day, which is better than him not being able to get here at all!

It was lovely to have all the kids (and their partners and dogs) here last weekend, but also exhausting. Still full of this stupid cold, not sleeping and feeling very rough. The gang all had fun doing the tree - complete with dinosaurs - and 'Christmassifying' ( as youngest called it) the rest of downstairs too. It actually all looks really nice (if you ignore the dinosaurs!), very festive and warm. Oldest needed a good weekend, she was quite down, poor thing. You may have seen on the news that a young lad was stabbed and killed in Coventry the weekend before?. The poor kid was one of her year 11 students, and she had had a heartbreaking week, not only dealing with the sadness she felt, but in trying to support all her other students, who were obviously terribly traumatised by what happened. Such a collossal waste of a young life - and terrifying and equally tragic that the perpetrator is also only a kid, and that's another young life wasted :( It's the first time oldest has had to deal with losing a student, and it knocked her for six. She has coped, helping the other students has helped her, but I think a weekend at home was just what she needed.

The only sort of fly in the ointment was that Oscar and Luna were both absolute pains in the bum! Those two are just wicked together - talk about kindred spirits. Constant playing, chasing each other round - and unfortunately, extremely noisy! Cushions and ornaments flying, the other doggys finding themselves being lept on as the twosome tore round together. Son and his GF were forced to take Oz upstairs at night, just so we could guarantee enough peace and quiet for everyone to sleep.

This cold/flu lurgy has kept me away from Mil, though OH has been. She is 'Fiesty', but reasonably good humoured, he says. It feels odd, because of work and one bug after another, I've barely seen her for a few weeks now. I know I can't risk passing on any infection to her, but I will be glad when I'm germ free and can visit her properly again.

S Wales run tomorrow - bless my new boss, she is picking me up from her nearest station that I pass through on the way, and driving me to the meeting, then back for my return train at the end of the day. Her doing that knocks about 2 hours off the days travel time, for which I am extremely grateful,( though its still going to be a 12 and a half hour day) and it saves me a couple of train changes too.

Today, I'm taking my day off. The house isn't too bad at all, just a bit of tidying and laundry to do, so I'm hoping to make a start on wrapping the presents I've bought so far. Not doing cards this year - instead I bought some essentials to go into care packs for a local homeless shelter. One of my projects has involved working with the shelter recently (we put together the care packs that we do every year) - there are currently over 60 people sleeping rough in this area, there is no room at any of the shelters for them, and as we are now on I think the 6th day of heavy rain, my heart breaks for them. I decided the money that I usually spend on cards would be better spent on them. The group of young people I've been working with on the care pack project, after meeting some of the volunteers from the shelter, have off their own backs started an appeal in the college for sleeping bags to be donated - really proud of them.

Right - time to move - looking forward to a couple of hours just lazing with a book this afternoon!

Much love to all xxxxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Ann, good to hear your news.
Im sorry the lurgy has lingered for so long.
What a good idea about the Christmas card money, I think all the homeless shelters have a real job on their hand
(((((hugs)))))) to oldest - I cant imagine what it is like.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi all
Just popping in quickly to let you know I’m ok

Sorry to have “gone missing”

these last few months have not been on my side health wise

1J took me off to lanzarote a couple of weeks ago which was rejuvenating. Sadly what with case tigging etc etc, that miserable law either called murphys or lump of grass, has made my prolapse disc start to mess me around causing numb legs and everything else to do with said annoying disc

Not feeling too clever about myself. This too shall pass, so hopefully very soon I shall be back on board with you all

Just know I am always thinking of you all and missing you xxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

You poor thing, 2jays - I'm so sorry to read about the disc problems. Got everything crossed that it passes soon and that you feel much better xxxxx

I feel like I've neglected you all recently. I'm still full of a cold (though better than it was) and feel so exhausted at the moment, that everything seems to be taking me twice as long to accomplish than it should, and when I do get some 'free' time, I'm generally collapsing in a heap on the sofa. Don't know what this lurgy is, but its certainly given me a battering this time. I still haven't been near Mil (haven't seen her for about 3 weeks, I think ) but still bunged up, still coughing and just not worth passing ths on to her, and possibly the other residents too. OH has been visiting her, and no real change. Never quite sure who he is (usually she thinks he is her brother, if she realises she knows him at all), still hitting out when she gets the urge, still counting, still the OTT facial expressions and manic laughter at times. Had news this morning from Ireland to say that another of her nephews has passed away - 3 brothers from the same family, the oldest only in his 50's, all unexpectedly lost this year. Part of me is glad she is spared knowing, part of me is sad that she can't share in her remaining brothers grief and support him, as I know that she would want to.

Between work and the lurgy, I was all behind on Christmas prep and presents, but cold or no cold, last weekend, OH and I hit a huge shopping park near where I live, and in 3 hours, finished the Christmas present shop. I felt rotten afterwards, but also extremely relieved to be sorted. Now just the dreaded wrapping to do. The turkey crown and various other bits and bobs are in the freezer, the plan is to do the rest of the food shop in one big go on the Friday before Christmas - possibly do our usual trick of hitting the supermarket in the wee small hours, then a brief visit to the farm shop for the fruit and fresh veg, later in the day. I'm working an extra day in the week before Christmas, to give me some additional time off to spend with the family - not asking, just doing, tbh.

Work is - well, same old, same old. Struggling to keep to my hours, frustrated with red tape and paperwork regarding the garden scheme, so much to do that even working flat out, not getting it all done. The South Wales run last Friday was awful - I honestly don't know what is worse, driving or the train! On the run down, had to change trains, and was met on the platform by a nervously smiling member of rail staff, offering free hot drinks. And I just knew it wasn't out of the kindness of her heart - delays (of course). Took me an additional hour to get to where I was going. Coming home, not the railways fault, my boss insisted on a pic of the whole gang of us, meeting ran 10 minutes late because of this, then (fellow staff having kindly given me a lift ) got stuck in traffic on the way to the station, and missed my train. Set out at 7.15 that morning, got home at 8.40pm that night.

2 projects this morning, 4 urgent admin jobs this afternoon (unless I can get some of the admin done before heading out at 8), so I had better get moving. Sending loads of love to you all and hoping you are all OK xxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Think that must be why my last cold took three weeks instead of one to clear up. I thought it was just me!

Today is meal out with one of the groups I go to. Decided to opt out of Christmas meal ( that’s a Friday, no choice), settled for goats cheese salad (?) and pavlova. More details this evening.
Frost again this morning Brrrrr!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, I'm sorry you are still so unwell :( Please try not to push yourself too hard at the moment, you clearly need extra rest (((Hugs)))

I'm glad that MIL still seems to be in 'good' form.

Spamar, I hope you have a lovely meal.

It is a bit cooler here today but still temps in high single figures during the day. It looks as if it going to get warm and wet again at the end of the week though.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It was gorgeous! And free! Which I didn’t know, but it’s unused subs money. More please!
Tomorrow, just coffee and cake with a friend.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi everyone, hope you are all OK, especially Ann and 2Jays. I’ve been suffering as well, but mostly low key stuff. You don’t feel well, but not that bad, if you get me.
Last week was a bit busy for me ( for Ann it would have been a walk in the park!). Two meals a s so many coffee with friends I could barely keep up! Needless to say, didn’t lose any weight, either!

Cancelled physio this morning, didn’t feel well enough!! Rebooked, though.

Another coffee morning tomorrow, and drinks at a friends on Thursday. Best of all, that comes with a lift in both directions, so I can actually have a drink. True friendship!

Hope everyone else is OK and Christmas isn’t worrying you too much! Says she with very little to do. One job tonight is to wrap a parcel for someone I shall see tomorrow.

Sure I shall ‘see’ you all in the next week!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My SIL eventually invited us for Christmas dinner, so we don't have a big meal to worry about. Then we go up to London Boxing Day for 3 nights, OH and son hope to watch the Bournemouth/Spurs match - I would rather stick pins in my eyes!!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As long as they are supporting Spurs that is OK.

Sorry to be a bit absent, major teenage issues last week, when will it ever end.

@2jays - good to hear from you, I found a half typed email addressed to you yesterday in draft box, probably re dog wee! More again tonight, OH very impressed with my vinegar, bicarb combo.

Very sad about Chester zoo, weather was horrendous at the time, one of my facebook friends husbands was called in so presume all summer casual staff were called, although he is a sparky as well, so maybe it was to restore power as this was restored fairly quickly to the area not damaged. The person who suffered smoke inhalation went back in to rescue a baby primate. Could smell aftermath of fire as I drove past last night.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Aren’t all smells evocative? When I was at school the house opposite was burned out. You could smell it from miles away! I hated looking at it as well.

Just before Christmas is not the time for teenage strops! For anyone involved!

Was halfway through breakfast when the radio stopped playing. On investigation, all the lights were OK, but most of the rest had gone. As I can’t climb up to fuse box anymore, gardener did so. After investigation we concluded the strip light in the work shop had gone. What I can’t understand is why it affected the house. The workshop is on its own circuit, together with the garage, both with their own fuses. Oh well, phones and heating working again! At least gardener was here!
He’s just stacked me up with wood again, used a fair bit last week. Wasn’t Saturday awful? Early am was OK and I managed to do shopping in the dry. As soon as I got back, the wind got up and the rain came down. Howling is the only word applicable.

I’m off out for a meet-up with coffee and cake, just need to pass on anything that looks rich. Tummy still not 100%!

Have a good day, one and all.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I had missed the news about Chester Zoo :( So glad that they managed to get all the primates out (so heartrending to read of the orangs wrapping themselves in their 'comfort blankets' are they fled) but sad that any lives were lost. The report didn't mention any humans, did everyone get out OK?

Yes, teenage strops take on an extra degree of horribleness at this time of year! All I can say is that most of them do eventually turn into decent human beings eventually.

Spamar, good job your gardener was there to climb up to the fusebox. I'm very glad that you maintained the lighting and heating circuit but how strange that the garage light should trip anything else! (Says she, trying to sound as if she understand electrikery!).

Yes, the weather here was utterly dire on Saturday! I went out for coffee with a friend but was glad to get home again. I spent a very happy evening in front of the TV enjoying the Strictly final :)

Re the 'fruitbowl' (which is one of the politer names I have for football), son supports Spurs, Bournemouth is their second team as it is our local side.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Yes - all humans got out, and then one chap went back in (not in news - on facebook) to get the baby.

Weather here awful on Sat as well, the wind fanned the flames at the zoo.

The building affected at the zoo is very close to the road, so was surprised I didn't get a stronger smell, son looked as we went home but could 't see any of the damage as too dark.

@Spamar hope you are feeling better today. Glad gardener was there to sort fuse sounds like the ringmain for the workshop might have a spur off it for a couple of sockets in the house. We've found lots of odd and wrong things done in our house.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
All Christmas pressies now wrapped. I don't have to worry about cooking anything special although we will need a shop before Christmas. It is a far cry from the days when I used to cook Christmas dinner for 14. Great fun at the time but I wouldn't want to do it now!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy Mayor