Terrible day ... Section 2 admission

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
Dear TP members

Words fail me ....... after what has been a devestating day for us. I wonder if any other members can help to explain their experience following a Section 2 admission for their parent or other family member please?

I feel numb desentised and a failure ... my poor loving strong dependable dad lost to this cruel illness and now sectioned for his safety. I have to find some stamina and bravely continue the battle to make sure that he is protected and in some way ensure he knows now how much he is loved.

Thank you x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @NIKNOK

My dad was put on a section 2 in summer as he wasn’t safe to go home after a stroke. He was sectioned because I refused to allow him to be discharged from hospital without a proper needs assessment. I welcomed this intervention as it meant that he would now go through “the system” and I would get help from social services to find the best place for him until he was safe to return home.

I didn’t have to take any action as once dad was on the section there were procedures which had to be followed by the health professionals which meant he could not be prematurely discharged home, which was what had happened to him before.

After the section dad was given a social worker who then found him a place in a carehome for 4weeks in an assessment bed until it was decided wether or not he could safely return home. He is now permanently resident in the carehome, although I had to fight for this to happen.
He was certainly not safe to go home and needed a team a people to manage his needs.

It was the best thing that could have happened at that stage in his illness

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @NIKNOK
I hope you can take some comfort from Bunpoot's post
the medics will be looking after your poor dad, so take some time to breathe and recuperate so you have the energy to support him
best wishes to you all

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
Hi @NIKNOK

My dad was put on a section 2 in summer as he wasn’t safe to go home after a stroke. He was sectioned because I refused to allow him to be discharged from hospital without a proper needs assessment. I welcomed this intervention as it meant that he would now go through “the system” and I would get help from social services to find the best place for him until he was safe to return home.

I didn’t have to take any action as once dad was on the section there were procedures which had to be followed by the health professionals which meant he could not be prematurely discharged home, which was what had happened to him before.

After the section dad was given a social worker who then found him a place in a carehome for 4weeks in an assessment bed until it was decided wether or not he could safely return home. He is now permanently resident in the carehome, although I had to fight for this to happen.
He was certainly not safe to go home and needed a team a people to manage his needs.

It was the best thing that could have happened at that stage in his illness

Thankyou for taking the time to reply and for sharing your personal experience - I hope that your dad is settled as it sounds like you fought hard for his place in the care Home .

It’s easy to think we are on our own and I hope that Dad does get the right care and assessment now he’s in hospital.

We’ve cared for dad for 14 months and it’s been hard demanding but rewarding when Dad smiles and says thankyou - the illness is eating him alive and as we all know this is insurmountable.

Thankyou for your response x

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
hi @NIKNOK
I hope you can take some comfort from Bunpoot's post
the medics will be looking after your poor dad, so take some time to breathe and recuperate so you have the energy to support him
best wishes to you all
Thankyou so much for replying, and yes we will recharge and get up tomorrow and face what is ahead of us.

Thankyou and have a lovely evening x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Try not to worry @NIKNOK. My dad is settled now, thank you. And well looked after by people who understand his condition. Now you can relax a little and leave the caring to the professionals for a while. I hope it all goes well for you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm with Bunpots, sectioning probably the best tyhing that happened for my wife in terms of accessing help.
She was section 2 which last for 28 days then section 3 for 5 more months until she became stable enough to be discharged to an EMI nursing home.
Awesomely that was nearly 3 years ago now, at the time it was quite hard to get my head round it but now I've come to realise that it was the only thing that could be done due to her aggression towards me mainly.
There's a link below to what happened on a thread I started on here.
K

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/kevinl-that-was-a-week-to-remember.89276/

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
I'm with Bunpots, sectioning probably the best tyhing that happened for my wife in terms of accessing help.
She was section 2 which last for 28 days then section 3 for 5 more months until she became stable enough to be discharged to an EMI nursing home.
Awesomely that was nearly 3 years ago now, at the time it was quite hard to get my head round it but now I've come to realise that it was the only thing that could be done due to her aggression towards me mainly.
There's a link below to what happened on a thread I started on here.
K

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/kevinl-that-was-a-week-to-remember.89276/
Gosh thankyou so much for your insight and for sharing the link. Is your wife now settled and what was the key intervention that supported the move to an EMI nursing home please? That is the best outcome we are hoping for - a safe place at an EMI Home, thankyou x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976