Do carers get a £10 xmas bonus

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm rather excited as I hear that carers get a £10 bonus at Christmas time,I shall treat myself when I manage to get out of the house for half an hour one day

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Got mine already. wow what will I do with that.

Oops spent it already, had to have a new ball cock in the water tank so gave it to the plumber along with some more.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I noticed my dad had a £10 Christmas bonus paid into his account from the DWP. I had to look to see what it was for, not sure if he should have got it or not. I’m already waiting for the DWP to sort out how much of his Attendance allowance and Winter fuel payment, we have to pay back (he’s now in receipt of CHC funding).

Cinderfella

Dec 17, 2018
I wondered what that £10 extra was at the beginning of the month. I can't complain.

Mum's received her £300 winter fuel payment - but without POA or Deputyship it's frustratingly worth less than a penny at the moment, in real terms...

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I wondered what that £10 extra was at the beginning of the month. I can't complain.

Mum's received her £300 winter fuel payment - but without POA or Deputyship it's frustratingly worth less than a penny at the moment, in real terms...
I haven't looked at my statement yet but I suppose it's been paid,is your mum not able to access her account,it should be paid in there direct

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Receipt of carer's allowance is a qualifying benefit
https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility

You only get one bonus, if so if you already get another qualifying benefit, eg state pension, you won't also get it for carer's allowance.
It may just be added to the normal payment or show up as an additional payment against DWP XB

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015

Receipt of carer's allowance is a qualifying benefit
https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility

You only get one bonus, if so if you already get another qualifying benefit, eg state pension, you won't also get it for carer's allowance.
It may just be added to the normal payment or show up as an additional payment against DWP XB
Don't get any other benefit. Oh well. Same as winter fuel allowance....Mum gets it presumably but the CoP appointed deputy, a solicitor, never passes it on to me to help with the 24/7 very high heating bill costs to keep Mum warm living here with me. Sorry. Just another gripe!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@tryingmybest

If you get carer's allowance you should get the £10 Christmas bonus, it's your benefit and nothing to do with your Mum's finances.
Check whether or not it has been paid and if not
https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/how-to-claim
if it their mistake ask for back payments.

Irrespective of the winter fuel allowance if you are having to keep the house extra warm because of your Mum's condition ask the deputy to consider a financial contribution. Keeping her comfortable is obviously in her best interests.

There may be a problem in that no matter how warm the house is your Mum still says she is cold, but if you don't ask you won't get.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Don't get any other benefit. Oh well. Same as winter fuel allowance....Mum gets it presumably but the CoP appointed deputy, a solicitor, never passes it on to me to help with the 24/7 very high heating bill costs to keep Mum warm living here with me. Sorry. Just another gripe!

Hi when the CoP appoint a deputy and that person being a solictor,does that absorb much of your mum savings in terms of fees taken by the solicitor?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I noticed the £10 DWP XB payment in my mother's account last week. It happened automatically, I'd never heard of it before I read this thread. She gets a state pension and Attendance Allowance.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Hi when the CoP appoint a deputy and that person being a solictor,does that absorb much of your mum savings in terms of fees taken by the solicitor?

Originally the CoP appointed the LA to be Mums Deputy but after 2 years they resigned and a Solicitor was appointed. The Solicitor charges a lot more than the LA did and whilst I dont know exactly what he has taken he asked me once if I knew how much money my Mum had and I told him and his words were "Well its considerably less now as Ive had to cover all my fees and investigations". The investigations, presumably as my sibling and my Mums partners son had taken huge sums of money from her various accounts and had financially and emotionally abused her. This was before I was appointed as her CoP appointed person to care for her in my home. I have no idea how much he has now taken to cover these investigations but with the £26,000 charged also for having another solicitor represent her at the CoP hearings, I doubt she has little left now. The whole thing is appalling.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
@tryingmybest

If you get carer's allowance you should get the £10 Christmas bonus, it's your benefit and nothing to do with your Mum's finances.
Check whether or not it has been paid and if not
https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/how-to-claim
if it their mistake ask for back payments.

Irrespective of the winter fuel allowance if you are having to keep the house extra warm because of your Mum's condition ask the deputy to consider a financial contribution. Keeping her comfortable is obviously in her best interests.

There may be a problem in that no matter how warm the house is your Mum still says she is cold, but if you don't ask you won't get.

Thank you I will look into that. I am given my Mums pension to purchase her pads, clothes, trips out, hairdressers each week, dental treatment and chiropodist for which I provide punctiluous reports every month and scan all receipts (I do all the work for him really!!) I am also given her AA for myself as her "board and lodging".

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Originally the CoP appointed the LA to be Mums Deputy but after 2 years they resigned and a Solicitor was appointed. The Solicitor charges a lot more than the LA did and whilst I dont know exactly what he has taken he asked me once if I knew how much money my Mum had and I told him and his words were "Well its considerably less now as Ive had to cover all my fees and investigations". The investigations, presumably as my sibling and my Mums partners son had taken huge sums of money from her various accounts and had financially and emotionally abused her. This was before I was appointed as her CoP appointed person to care for her in my home. I have no idea how much he has now taken to cover these investigations but with the £26,000 charged also for having another solicitor represent her at the CoP hearings, I doubt she has little left now. The whole thing is appalling.
Seems like a license to print money being a solicitor,so what did the £26,000 cover?