looking after mum

kevin orourke

Dec 11, 2018
Hi All
My name is kev and I have just had to bring mum back from France as she has just been diagnosed. She lived in France for 16 years but 4 years ago she lost Dad and its now up to my family to help out. I could really do with any help or information as at present I am struggling with all this as its new to me

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi my advice would be to get as much information you can on the disese and if you can can get poa power of attorney for your mum it will help but she must be able to give her consent
You access dealing with bank bills the medical and social workers side of things
X

kevin orourke

Dec 11, 2018
I seem to at the moment be right up to the eye balls with every thing as my wife has MS I'm off work with stress now mum o and look Christmas is just around the corner
are you local to Southampton do you go to any of the work shops

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @kevin orourke, you are welcome here.

When I first joined the forum I had a good read at the existing threads as they are a goldmine for information.

I then found the publications list where all things dementia related are covered, including PoA etc. There is also the page where a post code search can be done for support services in your area. I will post links for these in a moment.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Yes you can do it online
But will need a solicitor official to sign it
I did mine with a solicitor as i found it a bit complicated
Good luck

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Also if any other family member offers help, grab it and give them a big thank you. It is all too easy for them to leave you to do everything. Sadly this is true of all too many families. They will see you coping and leave you to it.

Accept any help that you can.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Yes you can do it online
But will need a solicitor official to sign it
I did mine with a solicitor as i found it a bit complicated
Good luck
You can do it yourself on line and it does not need a doctor or solicitor to sign, just someone who knows your mum and can say that she was competent enough to understand what she is signing. Having just moved your mum from France this might be an issue as there might be no one close enough to your mum.

If you do use a solicitor, make sure you shop around as prices vary considerably..