A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I always used to offer up my seat, it came as a real shock when I was offered one!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I always used to offer up my seat, it came as a real shock when I was offered one!

:D

The first time I was offered a seat on the tube I was most offended. If it happens now I just think that the age of chivalry is not dead and it would be rude to refuse!:rolleyes:

I'm glad you had a good time with Jan Sylvia. So nice to catch up with old friends.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Izzy.

The good thing about true old friends is we can pick up where we left off even if we haven`t seen each other for ages.

My 54 year old son still has golfing weekends with four of his friends from student days who are scattered all over the ountry. His latest trip was to Edinburgh.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My very first class were 5 in 1960 - I an not going to even think of doing the maths!
You were not that far away from ys last week then Sylvia. We went from Chester to Liverpool for the day.
I think Manchester would have been a step too far for me though!
I hope you had a lovely catch-up with Jan. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My first class will have celebrated their 56th birthdays!:eek::eek::eek:

Gosh @Izzy!:rolleyes: :)

You were not that far away from ys last week then Sylvia.

I know @Saffie. I thought of you and if my stay had been any longer we might have met up. It would have been nice for Jan too.

I have friends in Poynton, Lymm and Romiley , all in and around the same area but all too far from each oter to meet on a single visit.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Gosh @Izzy!:rolleyes: :)

I know @Saffie. I thought of you and if my stay had been any longer we might have met up. It would have been nice for Jan too.

I have friends in Poynton, Lymm and Romiley , all in and around the same area but all too far from each oter to meet on a single visit.

Another time maybe Sylvia. Yes, it would have been nice to see Jan again too.
I think that my days of city meet-ups might be over but Launde will, I hope, keep going for a while yet - so you never know!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was conned last night by failing to take my own advice.

The doorbell rang at 7pm and like a fool I answered it. There stood a middle-aged man in a hi-vis jacket wearing a badge and a Father Christmas hat and carrying a collection tin.

He told me what the collection was for and who he was collecting for but I didn`t hear any of it. Nor could I see the badge and had no inclination to examine it more closely.

I took a few pounds out to him and asked again what it was for. I only heard `it`s for all the charities` and I gave him the money.

When he had gone I wasn`t sure whether I was cross with myself or with him.

I`m posting as a warning to show how easily it can be done. I honestly thought I was well able to suss these people out but was taken in by a seasonal conman.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sylvia, just look on your experience with the doorstep collector as a gentle reminder. Could have been a lot worse, and can easily happen to any of us, when caught unawares.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We’ve had what are apparantly being referred to as ‘Nottingham knockers’ around over the past week. I opened the door to a couple of men soon after six a couple of days ago. I just said I was having my tea and closed the door but I then wished I hadn’t shut Saffie in the sitting room before doing so even though she would probably have just gone up to them wagging her tail delightedly. I then saw that a couple of minutes later someone had posted about the same men on my village Facebook page. This way of passing information is one of the better qualities of Facebook. It seems these man give a number if reasons for what they are doing but it is generally thought that they are looking for easy burglary targets. Hence my wishing I had taken Saffie to the door with me. I will always do so another time someone rings the doorbell when it’s dark!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We are so aware of cold calling and safety at the door @Saffie, it`s amazing how our minds slip when we are actually faced with what could possibly be a dangerous situation.

I`m well prepared now as I`m sure you are.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Do you have a chain on your front door Sylvia, I had one fitted at my previous house and I found it invaluable, psychologically it is much easier to shut the door on someone if it has only been opened a small amount.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The thing we should take to the door, Sylvia, is a mobile phone. Then we can take a photo as we open the door. Legitimate callers shouldn’t mind - and we can delete the result immediately - but dubious ones will and are unlikely to stay around or return. Well, that’s my theory anyway! I must remember to try it next time!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have a chain @reedysue I just didn`t use it. The whole episode is a good lesson learnt.

@Saffie. What a good idea to take the phone to take a photo.

Thanks everyone. I`ll be so well armed the next time I get a cold caller, they`ll won`t know what hit them.

PS . I also have a `Polite` notice on my door , saying No cold callers, No salesmen, No canvassers.

Usually it works.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
December 18th 1971 my father died aged 53.

We were told it was the result of fluid on the brain which developed following a fall, when he hit his head on concrete while on holiday in the Canary Islands.
It`s now known this was dementia.

My mother was diagnosed with mixed dementia in 1993 and died in 2002.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2005 and died in 2014

I'm just reflecting really about how long dementia has been in my life. These three dementias were unrelated and the symptoms were all so different , as were the relationships.

However, the effect they had on the person with dementia and the family were the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.