Yet another scam phone cal

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
i am sick of these evil people phoning my Mum! My sister popped round to see Mum today and found her on the phone to someone, trying to give them the numbers on the back of her bank card. Luckily I had scratched these numbers off so the caller was getting annoyed with mum who couldn't find the numbers. My sister took over the call, was told they were a company called Call Guardian who will block unwanted phone calls for a one off fee. They said they needed the numbers from the back of the card to verify Mums identity. When my sister started to argue otherwise, they got snotty and hung up! It was really obvious that Mum was confused but they just carried on. Mum already pays her phone provider to block withheld numbers but this company used a phone number which was unrecognisable when my sister tried to call them back. Sneaky burgers!

It's only a few weeks since we registered the LPA with Mums bank and found that she was paying a monthly direct debit to another such company - we immediately cancelled the debit!

I have investigated call blockers but cannot find a suitable one that does not require Mum to press a block button or works with an old fashioned phone with three extensions, most seem to only work with wireless type phones. I am currently looking at True Call but there are some questions that I need to clarify to be sure it will work as I found the manual instructions too confusing for my tired brain!

Does anyone here use one for their pwd?

Does anyone have any advice of what we can do?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We use a BT call blocker which works in a very similar way to the True Call. people calling the number have to say who they are and press the # key - this gets rid of all the annoying pre-recorded phone calls. If the person the other end does say who they are and press the #key the phone will then ring and when answered tells you who phoned and you have the option of accepting the call. You have to have caller display to use this, but I have found it works well and very few scams get through. You can program it so that trusted numbers (family etc) can bypass this and just get put straight through like an ordinary phone and you can also block specific numbers, or groups of numbers like overseas numbers.

I must say, though, that OH now does not answer the phone now as he cant remember what to press.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I totally recommend TrueCall Secure (which is about £18 more expensive than the standard TrueCall unit). Your mum won't need to do anything differently. She will just answer the phone as normal. No extra step of having to listen to a message and do something to accept the call.

You can set up your preferred call management options online, and monitor the calls received and made via the Internet Control Panel. Get a TrueCall Secure unit asap. It isn't hard to set up. Connect it, then work on refining your desired settings. If you're not sure the unit will work with your mum's telephones, ring TrueCall for advice.

The unit sits between the telephone line and the main telephone unit, intercepting incoming calls and only connecting to the handset a) if the caller's number has been set up as a trusted caller or b) if the caller has followed the correct instructions to be connected. Call centres almost never get connected because they generally rely on a machine dialled call being answered before a phone monkey is allocated to the call at their end. You can also block international calls, which is where many of the unregulated phone spam comes from.

It occurs to me that the telepest that your sister intercepted might be the same rogues who had your mum's details and direct debit. They may have been trying to get the DD reinstated. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what their excuse is, you just want to block them.

I used a unit at my mum's house where it blocked hundreds of nuisance calls. I was able to monitor calls online from 500 miles away, adjusting who was a trusted caller or who should be added to the zap list of numbers that are barred from connection. I couldn't have used TrueCall at my MIL's house because she was a fiddler; unpluggling everything and taking appliances apart to see how they worked. I have a unit at my own house too, and it makes answering the phone a pleasure because the scammers don't get through. I don't have to press any buttons to accept calls because the TrueCall Secure unit has already done the screening.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
i am sick of these evil people phoning my Mum! My sister popped round to see Mum today and found her on the phone to someone, trying to give them the numbers on the back of her bank card. Luckily I had scratched these numbers off so the caller was getting annoyed with mum who couldn't find the numbers. My sister took over the call, was told they were a company called Call Guardian who will block unwanted phone calls for a one off fee. They said they needed the numbers from the back of the card to verify Mums identity. When my sister started to argue otherwise, they got snotty and hung up! It was really obvious that Mum was confused but they just carried on. Mum already pays her phone provider to block withheld numbers but this company used a phone number which was unrecognisable when my sister tried to call them back. Sneaky burgers!

It's only a few weeks since we registered the LPA with Mums bank and found that she was paying a monthly direct debit to another such company - we immediately cancelled the debit!

I have investigated call blockers but cannot find a suitable one that does not require Mum to press a block button or works with an old fashioned phone with three extensions, most seem to only work with wireless type phones. I am currently looking at True Call but there are some questions that I need to clarify to be sure it will work as I found the manual instructions too confusing for my tired brain!

Does anyone here use one for their pwd?

Does anyone have any advice of what we can do?
Well done for removing the security numbers on the card, I actually mentioned this to a member of bank staff who’d never heard of it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The problem is that many hospitals, doctors, social services and other "official" bodies use withheld numbers or will not say anything about who they are until they establish they are talking to the correct person or their carer.
Another carer told me she had a devise (I can't remember the name of it) but as soon as her mum answered the phone the phone told the caller that the call was being recorded and could be used as evidence and asked for the callers name and company name before her mum could speak to them, a lot of callers then hung up.
K

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Withheld numbers are not a problem for TrueCall Secure unless you've set up the unit to be ultra restrictive. The person who is calling hears a message and follows the instruction to either a) "please hang up and don't call again" or b) press a number key to be connected if they believe their call is welcome or expected.

Sometimes a caller hangs up at this point because being screened takes them by surprise. But they then call back. TrueCall is not a barrier to the nurse, dentist, hospital booking clerk, etc. In fact, many people comment on what a good idea it is to protect yourself or your relative from rogue callers.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I totally recommend TrueCall Secure (which is about £18 more expensive than the standard TrueCall unit). Your mum won't need to do anything differently. She will just answer the phone as normal. No extra step of having to listen to a message and do something to accept the call.

You can set up your preferred call management options online, and monitor the calls received and made via the Internet Control Panel. Get a TrueCall Secure unit asap. It isn't hard to set up. Connect it, then work on refining your desired settings. If you're not sure the unit will work with your mum's telephones, ring TrueCall for advice.

The unit sits between the telephone line and the main telephone unit, intercepting incoming calls and only connecting to the handset a) if the caller's number has been set up as a trusted caller or b) if the caller has followed the correct instructions to be connected. Call centres almost never get connected because they generally rely on a machine dialled call being answered before a phone monkey is allocated to the call at their end. You can also block international calls, which is where many of the unregulated phone spam comes from.

It occurs to me that the telepest that your sister intercepted might be the same rogues who had your mum's details and direct debit. They may have been trying to get the DD reinstated. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what their excuse is, you just want to block them.

I used a unit at my mum's house where it blocked hundreds of nuisance calls. I was able to monitor calls online from 500 miles away, adjusting who was a trusted caller or who should be added to the zap list of numbers that are barred from connection. I couldn't have used TrueCall at my MIL's house because she was a fiddler; unpluggling everything and taking appliances apart to see how they worked. I have a unit at my own house too, and it makes answering the phone a pleasure because the scammers don't get through. I don't have to press any buttons to accept calls because the TrueCall Secure unit has already done the screening.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thanks Katrine for this information. The problem is that Mum is also a bit of a fiddler and unplugs everything that is in a socket or has a light showing! She would see the call blocker as the phone connection and elec socket are right by her chair! Although we have fitted covers over the TV sockets ( she now yanks the leads out of the TV) and over the fridge/ freezer which has worked.

Also on the True Call website it says that if there are multiple phones plugged into extension sockets, they might ping or ring briefly in the rooms that do not have the blocker - this would drive Mum mad! But I might phone them to check this out.

Can I ask, if a withheld number presses the key to be connected ( as you describe a doctor doing) will they then get to talk to Mu,? Also if we add her doctors number to the safe list will it get through or does it not work from switchboard type phone systems? Mum is remarkably fit so currently only gas six monthly reviews with a dermatologist at the hospital and they tend to text my mobile to fix up appointments, as do her dentist.

I wonder if scratching off the numbers from the back of cards is illegal according to the banks - but then I don't care, it certainly worked today!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We use a BT call blocker which works in a very similar way to the True Call. people calling the number have to say who they are and press the # key - this gets rid of all the annoying pre-recorded phone calls. If the person the other end does say who they are and press the #key the phone will then ring and when answered tells you who phoned and you have the option of accepting the call. You have to have caller display to use this, but I have found it works well and very few scams get through. You can program it so that trusted numbers (family etc) can bypass this and just get put straight through like an ordinary phone and you can also block specific numbers, or groups of numbers like overseas numbers.

I must say, though, that OH now does not answer the phone now as he cant remember what to press.

Unfortunately Mum would not remember what to do to block a call, ie to press the button. Also she might be in a different room to the extension that has the blocker attached.

I will be sorting something out ASAP though, just need to get my head around the options.

Thanks

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Yes, if the person calling from a withheld number presses the number key they will be connected and the phone will ring for your mum. However, the withheld number will be screened every time they ring. You can add numbers to the trusted caller list at any time but a central number doesn't always reflect the outgoing number used by someone in an organisation, as you know. Social Services is a good example.

You might be able to connect your TrueCall unit in a room that your mum won't check. Most phones have a mute function so perhaps it could be connected to a phone extension where the handset doesn't ring? The unit sends an upload of data every night (or whenever you set it for) and a message can be heard "weblink completed OK". Unless your mum is prowling around at 3am she is unlikely to hear this.

I can see that there could be difficulties for you, especially if the unit has to be connected to the main incoming line where it will be visible. If it helps, our line cable is high up by the ceiling where it comes into the house. The TrueCall unit sits on a high shelf out of sight but it does have a power lead visible because it is connected to a power socket as well as to the telephone line. Have a look at where your mum's telephone line actually runs. You may be able to make adjustments of the cabling.

Good luck!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
With the BT call blocker the PWD doesnt have to block the number - I can do that afterwards. The software builds up a memory of which numbers are trusted ones and can come straight through (like an ordinary call) and which ones are blocked. The unknown ones are the ones that ask the caller to say who they are and press# These ones are the ones that the receiver answers the phone, but then has the additional step of pressing 1 to accept the call (if they want to). Withheld numbers are, unfortunately, by definition unknown.
There is no additional unit with these phones, but you have to use the phones that come with it . They are cordless phones and do sometimes go walkabout.

Im not sure that there is a perfect solution. Because I live here with OH, the fact that he has forgotten how to accept unknown calls (which then go through to the answer phone) is actually a bonus. I have on several occasions had to cut OH off from continuing with a scam call (and provoking his wrath, because he didnt want me "interfering") and this no longer happens.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Yes, if the person calling from a withheld number presses the number key they will be connected and the phone will ring for your mum. However, the withheld number will be screened every time they ring. You can add numbers to the trusted caller list at any time but a central number doesn't always reflect the outgoing number used by someone in an organisation, as you know. Social Services is a good example.

You might be able to connect your TrueCall unit in a room that your mum won't check. Most phones have a mute function so perhaps it could be connected to a phone extension where the handset doesn't ring? The unit sends an upload of data every night (or whenever you set it for) and a message can be heard "weblink completed OK". Unless your mum is prowling around at 3am she is unlikely to hear this.

I can see that there could be difficulties for you, especially if the unit has to be connected to the main incoming line where it will be visible. If it helps, our line cable is high up by the ceiling where it comes into the house. The TrueCall unit sits on a high shelf out of sight but it does have a power lead visible because it is connected to a power socket as well as to the telephone line. Have a look at where your mum's telephone line actually runs. You may be able to make adjustments of the cabling.

Good luck!
So if a scammer phones from an unknown number, they just press the number key then get to talk to mum and try to get bank details etc? That does not seem right to me! By the time I looked at any data ( I don't live with mum so would presumably be able to do it remotely) she could have had her bank account emptied. Withheld numbers are already blocked by her phone provider and there is no way for them to get through, I know as I have tried. But I want a call blocker to block all calls other than those from a trusted list.

I will look for options re locating one in a secret place but it will be a challenge as the three existing phone extensions in the lounge, kitchen and bedroom are in rooms that mum used every day. There is a phone socket in the hall which is not used with an electric socket close by but mum would immediately spot any new equipment there and want to unplug it each night. Maybe we could put it in a lockable wall mounted box and telk her it is a new meter!

More research needed I think.

Thanks for your replies, they are helpful

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
But I want a call blocker to block all calls other than those from a trusted list.
You can certainly do that with a BT call blocker and Im pretty sure that you can do this with TruCall (although its an expensive way of doing it) It all depends on how it is set up.
Im pretty sure, though that there is a way of doing this with other phones - Ive heard @Beate talk about doing this

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
If your Mum's phone account is with BT I can recommend deploying their CallProtect option. I did this for Dad's line well over a year ago and it works pretty effectively. Occasionally rogue calls get through but I can blacklist them using the online tool which comes with it.

CallProtect is free and doesn't require purchase of any additional equipment. According to the data on Dad's account it's stopped over 1000 calls since I opted to use it.

There's more info about it here http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/pho...rvice-crackdown-nuisance-calls-11364136279348

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
If your Mum's phone account is with BT I can recommend deploying their CallProtect option. I did this for Dad's line well over a year ago and it works pretty effectively. Occasionally rogue calls get through but I can blacklist them using the online tool which comes with it.

CallProtect is free and doesn't require purchase of any additional equipment. According to the data on Dad's account it's stopped over 1000 calls since I opted to use it.

There's more info about it here http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/pho...rvice-crackdown-nuisance-calls-11364136279348
Mum gets her phone through Utility Warehouse and they do not appear to operate the Call Prot ct option, their version would require Mum to key in a number to block an unwanted call from getting through but I will look into it again. I wil also look at True Call again as I know they offer different options. I am sure I have read about one machine that leaves a message asking unknown callers to phone a relatives number first but having spent hours looking at different models, I can't recall which one it was! Or even if I have made it up? More research I think!

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Yes you can set up TrueCall security to only connect trusted callers. You can also set it up to divert all calls with a recorded message to "phone Mrs. X's daughter if you need to leave a message", but this is indeed a very expensive way of blocking calls and I think I would seek another option than TrueCall in your case, particularly as it would appear that your mum will find and unplug the unit.

If you were going to block all her calls via a recorded message, what's the point in her having a phone at all, or would the handsets just be left as a decoy so she thinks she still has a telephone? You could just turn the ringers off her telephones but of course this means she won't pick up any calls, though she can still ring out.

Call Protect sounds good, if you switch her back to BT as a provider. Maybe you can get calls diverted by her current provider, rather than buying any new kit?

To answer you question about scammers though, scammers don't press the hutton to be connected because they don't usually hear the TrueCall message (see my previous explanation about how call centres operate. They usually only connect a phone monkey to the call when it has been connected your end). If a UK-based phone monkey does hear the TrueCall message and persists with connection, they are breaking the law and they will know this. You might think they don't care, but their managers do. It's much easier and safer for them to avoid numbers where someone is obviously scrutinising them and may record the call, which you have the option to set up with TrueCall.

I have monitored TrueCall online for 5 years and there have only been 2 occasions when a UK-based cold caller persisted to be connected, out of hundreds per year who were blocked. These exceptions were where someone felt they already had permission to call and were trying to speak to my mum personally, rather than just doing random phone trawling. In the case of the company whose DD you cancelled, they might be trying to get the payment reinstated as per their previous contract with your mum. So yes, these particular people might call her again.

The trouble with introducing any new telephone kit is that it likely to get dismantled. Cordless phones lose their batteries and battery covers. Handsets get left off the charger and with the line still connected to the last caller. Handsets are mistaken for the TV remote and vice versa. Handsets get put in the fridge, or the back garden or the dustbin (which is the preferred location for all 'broken' gadgets, i.e. gadgets that are not understood and therefore make the PWD feel threatened, confused, upset and fearful).

If you can find a solution with your tethered old fashioned phones it would be preferable. Having said that, MIL cut the phone cable with a pair of scissors because she wanted to move the phone to a different part of the living room. All concept of the purpose of cables had been lost and I partly blame us, her family, for introducing cordless gadgets.

Last edited:

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Yes you can set up TrueCall security to only connect trusted callers. You can also set it up to divert all calls with a recorded message to "phone Mrs. X's daughter if you need to leave a message", but this is indeed a very expensive way of blocking calls and I think I would seek another option than TrueCall in your case, particularly as it would appear that your mum will find and unplug the unit.

If you were going to block all her calls via a recorded message, what's the point in her having a phone at all, or would the handsets just be left as a decoy so she thinks she still has a telephone? You could just turn the ringers off her telephones but of course this means she won't pick up any calls, though she can still ring out.

Call Protect sounds good, if you switch her back to BT as a provider. Maybe you can get calls diverted by her current provider, rather than buying any new kit?

To answer you question about scammers though, scammers don't press the hutton to be connected because they don't usually hear the TrueCall message (see my previous explanation about how call centres operate. They usually only connect a phone monkey to the call when it has been connected your end). If a UK-based phone monkey does hear the TrueCall message and persists with connection, they are breaking the law and they will know this. You might think they don't care, but their managers do. It's much easier and safer for them to avoid numbers where someone is obviously scrutinising them and may record the call, which you have the option to set up with TrueCall.

I have monitored TrueCall online for 5 years and there have only been 2 occasions when a UK-based cold caller persisted to be connected, out of hundreds per year who were blocked. These exceptions were where someone felt they already had permission to call and were trying to speak to my mum personally, rather than just doing random phone trawling. In the case of the company whose DD you cancelled, they might be trying to get the payment reinstated as per their previous contract with your mum. So yes, these particular people might call her again.

The trouble with introducing any new telephone kit is that it likely to get dismantled. Cordless phones lose their batteries and battery covers. Handsets get left off the charger and with the line still connected to the last caller. Handsets are mistaken for the TV remote and vice versa. Handsets get put in the fridge, or the back garden or the dustbin (which is the preferred location for all 'broken' gadgets, i.e. gadgets that are not understood and therefore make the PWD feel threatened, confused, upset and fearful).

If you can find a solution with your tethered old fashioned phones it would be preferable. Having said that, MIL cut the phone cable with a pair of scissors because she wanted to move the phone to a different part of the living room. All concept of the purpose of cables had been lost and I partly blame us, her family, for introducing cordless gadgets.

So much helpful advice here, thank you. I laughed when you said your MIL cut the phone cable to move it to a new spot!

I think we will look for something that works with her existing phones, cordless ones would be a nightmare, Mum has just lost the dust collector from her cordless vac as she forgot what it was for and it probably went in the bin! We have been careful not to give mum wireless gadgets but we still get caught out sometimes!

I will think about changing mum back to BT if it can be done in a way that she does not find out. At the moment, her energy bills and phone bills are from the same provider with just one quarterly bill which mum still reads and checks diligently so I think she might notice any changes.

Mum does use her phones a lot and we call her at least once a day so they cannot be muted. For now, we are relying on having withheld numbers banned, access to her bank account to check for new direct debits, restricting the amount held in her current account and scratching the numbers off the back of her card. Maybe that is the best we can do, it worked on this occasion.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England

Looks good. Pity that BT can't use neutral language such as 'Blocklist'. I used to think that people who objected to the use of 'black' as a negative term were being over-sensitive and looking for offence where none was intended. I've changed my opinion. The longer I live, the more I understand the power of language to oppress. I am no longer a BT customer since my mum died and I closed her account. Anyone else fancy tackling them on the Blacklist/Blocklist issue?

Lynmax, you will probably find that your mum is already going through the motions when she scrutinises the bill. If she does notice, tell her that the bill has been split up and the telephone bill will be separate (which it will, that's not a lie). Get the BT account set up for paperless billing with your email address.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968