Ordinarily resident rules

Infoseeker

Dec 5, 2018
I am very confused about the situation as regards funding someone when they move boroughs. Frequently when this happens each borough knocks the funding issue back to the other and families are left stressed and stranded with no funding being provided for their loved one. Can anybody clarify this area of the regulations around paying for care please? I think that the Care Act guidance ought to be definitive but it doesn't appear to work in practice.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I am very confused about the situation as regards funding someone when they move boroughs. Frequently when this happens each borough knocks the funding issue back to the other and families are left stressed and stranded with no funding being provided for their loved one. Can anybody clarify this area of the regulations around paying for care please? I think that the Care Act guidance ought to be definitive but it doesn't appear to work in practice.

Are you in this position? Because in my experience the rules are fairly clear and actually followed. If you self-fund in a care home outside of your original LA you become ordinarily resident in the new LA and it's the new LAs responsibility to pick up funding when it is required. If on the other hand you are placed in a care home outside of your local LA and there is any LA funding, you remain the financial responsibility of your original LA.

You mentioned boroughs in your post so I'm assuming you are talking about London. Now individual homes in any area may require new residents to have sufficient funding for several years before they will accept LA funding, but that's really not down to the ordinarily resident rules - just a reflection of the fact that care homes in London tend to be much more expensive than elsewhere and they want to ensure that new residents pay full rate for a certain number of years before the LA takes over (paying a much lower rate).