Concerned has to what happens next.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Also a cursory note attached saying I need LPA or COP to fill in these forms. If I don't get this done before 13 12 2018 then the care home will no longer be paid and I will have to find the payment's.

Does the letter actually say 'if you don't get LPA or COP by 13/12/18 the care home will no longer be paid and you have to find the payments', or are you assuming that? Councils know that getting an LPA or COP takes weeks/months, and from what you have previously posted they are not paying the home at the moment in any case. You still have the option of applying for a discretionary disregard, or have you ruled that out? As above, take expert advice before sending the email to the council.

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Hi Louise

Yes in deed the separate note attached to the paper work threatens to not pay the nursing home after the 13 12 2018 if I dont get this sorted out. Bit rich of them considering they have never paid anything yet anyway. But I suspect its all back dated while they have completed the financial assement. I've decided I dont want stay here , there's no hot water , its damp, its freezing now summers over. What I'm really worried about is what happans when I turn it over to them. Will they give me time get out etc. I just dont know.. Mums settled now In the home I found her, will they move her. Its all the unknowns .. I really could do talking to somebody who as let the council take over , so I can be prepared. I shall also contact CAB once I no where I stand. But yes they have said payments for the care home will need to be sourced by other means as they will refuse to pay the home unless I take out a cop and sign the differed payments. Hence my reply to tell them take over then as I'm not doing it..

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
You really do need to contact CAB now, to ensure that you end up standing in the right place.

Bod

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
If I could get thru to them I would ive been trying all morning. I may have to inform the council of my intentions without the CAB's input.
Times not on my side..

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @CrestFallen
have you contacted the AS Helpline, they have a lot of knowledge about how LAs work and may well be able to help
0300 222 11 22
open today until 8pm

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Hi I have been trying both organizations sadly I'm not getting thru to either. I'm also at work which isn't helping. I will try them again soon CAB shuts at 3:15.. Cheers..

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Just to update anyone who may be interested I have contacted the council instructing them to take over mums affairs. I never got to speak with CAB or Dementia line so I thought I'd best get on with it. Hardest decision I've made and I've made several since June. I will keep my post updated as I feel it may help others who find them selves wondering what happens if you let the council take over. Know one else seems to be sure and I'm about to find out. Has Caesar said when he crossed the Rubicon into Rome to fight is once friend Pompey " the die is cast ".

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Just to update anyone who may be interested I have contacted the council instructing them to take over mums affairs. I never got to speak with CAB or Dementia line so I thought I'd best get on with it. Hardest decision I've made and I've made several since June. I will keep my post updated as I feel it may help others who find them selves wondering what happens if you let the council take over. Know one else seems to be sure and I'm about to find out. Has Caesar said when he crossed the Rubicon into Rome to fight is once friend Pompey " the die is cast ".
Good for you,I hope you find better days ahead of you soon,days where you don't have to pander to the LA

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks i didnt sleep last nite after id emailed the council , worse thing about it is I feel terribly guilty on me mum. Like I've handed her over to the dark side although what happens remains to be seen.
All they've replied is they will get social services to look into appointing a deputy. Bit worried my about my things in the house and things like my dads WW2 medals. Just in case once they are granted deputy ship they claim everything has mums assets. But I don't know, guess I will find out. Worse thing is if they move mum away and I can't get see her every nite like I do now, she won't get any visitors I'm the only one.. Cruel if they do!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @CrestFallen I am sure that both your mum and your dad would want your dads war medals to remain in the family and if I were you I would pack any personal items of that nature away in a safe place for when you eventually leave.

Precious photo's and the like are of no use to social services. I would remove them from the house if it were me and entrust them to a good friend or even keep them at work in a safe locker or similar. If your mum has any jewellery I would do the same with that otherwise these things are likely to end up with a house clearance firm and at the local auction house. The local authority are probably only interested in the value of the house. Please don't let them take any precious memories.

My dad has slowly given me some precious memories to keep such as his seaman's card from when he was 17 also the same of his dead brother who was killed aged 16 in a marine accident. I have my dad's log of all the ships he was on and photo's of many of the ships. These things are family history and have no place with Social services.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks i didnt sleep last nite after id emailed the council , worse thing about it is I feel terribly guilty on me mum. Like I've handed her over to the dark side although what happens remains to be seen.
All they've replied is they will get social services to look into appointing a deputy. Bit worried my about my things in the house and things like my dads WW2 medals. Just in case once they are granted deputy ship they claim everything has mums assets. But I don't know, guess I will find out. Worse thing is if they move mum away and I can't get see her every nite like I do now, she won't get any visitors I'm the only one.. Cruel if they do!

A home move can obviously be chaotic at the best of times,if you have a close friend or relative or even trusted neighbour,I would get them to hold the medals/photos,sentimental items just so you know they are safe until you get settled as in my case I wouldn't know if I was going to be in emergency accommodation or a bedsit or other ,that's just my personal view and actually what I'm going to do if I get to this stage

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I have wondered before if anything happens to me and my mum then had to go in a home as I wasn't around anymore,I would like my son to come and pick the things that he would like from my home,before as mentioned by Duggies-girl the house clearance vultures appear
Another thing that crestfallen has touched on what happens if your parent is moved far away,I'm a non driving only child and we haven't got any other family,I don't know how I would get to see my mum.

Last edited:

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
House clearing vultures :( I'd best start packing I think. Surley there's going be a process a procedure that's followed ? My stuffs mixed in with mums and dads still got a few draws of his things. ive even been thinking what if they change the locks or like whats happened this past 5 months only tell me something when they want me sign for something and leave me in the dark. One things for sure if they put it in my social workers hands I won't hear from from them until summer 2021. Like Witts says too , I dont drive any longer and I'm going be devastated if they move me mum out of the home where I was able to put her. The social couldnt even arrange that and were going put her several miles away until I got on it and sorted it out. I'm going start packing up , tho I don't expect I'll hear anything this side of Xmas you never no. Some one said they'd probably have my dads medals if there any value which was what got me thinking. He was in Egypt thru the war was discharged in 1946 I've got all his stuff even his passing out papers. It'd break is heart to think his country would do this to mum after what he did for them.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I would speak to the CAB as you might not find anyone at the LA that even knows what's going to happen in terms of the process,obviously they should know but they haven't been very informative thus far have they?,I'm not sure what's the best way to do it,possibly ring them have a chat and they then may be able to give you a slot soon to visit them and then if you have to take a day of work to make that visit,do so.

Surely it's just the home that their interested in, having taken that off you,I would have thought they would have left you with family keepsakes,anyway they will have no idea about any of them anyway.

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The council have said that they will get social services to look into appointing a deputyship and it takes an average of 3 months for deputyship to be put in place. In the meantime they won't be able to do anything about the house (sell it, change locks, clear it etc). Handing over the financial side to the council doesn't mean that you won't still be involved in any 'best interest' meetings with regards your Mum's care/welfare. You've got a lot going on so concentrate on getting your accommodation sorted and hopefully the help line will be able to provide some useful info for you.

CrestFallen

Sep 12, 2018
The council have said that they will get social services to look into appointing a deputyship and it takes an average of 3 months for deputyship to be put in place. In the meantime they won't be able to do anything about the house (sell it, change locks, clear it etc). Handing over the financial side to the council doesn't mean that you won't still be involved in any 'best interest' meetings with regards your Mum's care/welfare. You've got a lot going on so concentrate on getting your accommodation sorted and hopefully the help line will be able to provide some useful info for you.
Thank you Louise yes I'm going to forget Xmas and concentrate on pushing forward. I have heard tho for us mere mortals that 3 to 6 months isn't unusual. But for the council they can get it done and dusted in 3 to 4 weeks. The councils have professionals on a panel who the courts favour because its what these people do for a living. So once they apply they don't do that much digging into their background unlike they would with family members. Its what I was told a while a go or I read it when searching. But I like your version so I'll console myself with that. If it doesn't start till after Xmas that will be a blessing.