Mum is now pre-diabetic

Evoque

Mar 14, 2017
My mum (aged 90) got a letter from her doctor saying that a recent blood test shows she is pre-diabetic.

They have invited her to join a diabetes prevention programme. I somehow don't think that will work, given that she will forget any advice they give her!

I do buy her sweets etc to keep her happy, but I'm going to have to cut down on those. I'll probably try to get her eating fresh fruit instead, for snacks, but I fear this will not work.

Sweets are one of her little pleasures, and as she doesn't leave her armchair much it seems cruel to deny her this. However, as it's affecting her health I will have to re-think what snacks I bring her. :-(

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
There are sugar free sweets out there. The sweetener unfortunately can have laxative properties. Boots, Holland and Barrett, M&S, Polos all have SF versions. Some “old fashioned sweet shops” also do SF versions of the older type sweets.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you want my opinion: she is 90, is only pre-diabetic but has dementia. Leave her a few pleasures in life. Btw, I did attend such a course once and was told I can eat anything, just in moderation. I have gone down to pre-diabetic levels thanks to medication, and I do not deny myself sweets. Don't be too hard on her. She is likely never going to get to a stage where diabetes could seriously affect her life.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad has been borderline diabetic for years. He eats what he wants, probably too many chocolate biscuits but I don't worry too much.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Diabetes is about more than sugar.
Consider how much bread/pastry and such she eats.

I guess many of us are pre diabetic- I do wonder what that actually means? My Late mother was an insulin dependant diabetic for many years.

If the GP was seriously concerned he'd have put her on metformin.

As long as she eats a reasonable diet, I really wouldnt worry about a few sweets and biscuits here and there.

have a squint here
http://www.yorkhousemedicalcentre.co.uk/website/M81040/files/Prediabetes_Diet_Sheet.pdf

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
I have to say i agree that you shouldn't worry too much. My mum was pre-diabetic for approx 10 years and only recently have her blood sugar levels caused the gp enough concern to prescribe metformin. That said mum eats little but can be relied upon to eat an individual trifle or chocolate moose. She also loves a truffle chocolate but only has one on the days I visit. As has been said, I just feel is cruel to deny her one of her few remaining pleasures.

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
My mum is 87 just after Christmas and diabetic. As far as I’m concerned whatever time she has left should be as happy as possible. If she wants to eat chocolate ( her absolute favourite thing) then she can have it.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
Several thoughts:

A friend is insulin-dependant type 2 diabetic and is up with the latest thinking. She eats anything - but in moderation. So if she is going out for a meal where they do a particularly nice sweet she will choose a healthy starter and maybe only eat half the sweet. She does monitor her blood glucose regularly which may not be possible for your mum.

My dad had been diagnosed diabetic and was on a low dose of metformin. His condition was never reviewed and I'm convinced that if he had diabetes at all he would now be classed as pre-diabetic. The problems started when he went into hospital where the treatment of diabetics was straight from the 1950s. It said DIABETIC above his bed but it might have said LEPROSY. He was allowed nothing containing sugar and as a result his blood glucose levels dropped so low that they had to give him a glucose drink before he could get up in a morning which defeated the object. This was 10 years ago but it's worth making sure your mum isn't classed as diabetic if possible.

Last year my wife's glucose reading just crept over the limit and the alarm bells started ringing at the diabetic clinic. I pointed out that a reading going from 6.0 to 6.1 is hardly a major increase (in fact due to rounding it may have gone from 6.049 to 6.050). Because of my dad's experience I persuaded the doctor not to tick the "Diabetic" box as there were no symptoms. At this time she came off Bendroflumethiazide which is known to increase glucose levels. We've just had her latest test and it's well within the normal range.

Make sure your mum has had the HbA1c test. This averages the blood glucose over the last 3 months and so is the only reliable way of measuring glucose level.

Last year I went to a presentation at a (non-dementia) hospice. The "chef" explained how everyone was given a healthy low fat diet. I pointed out that if I was bed-bound and could choose between living 2 months on a low fat diet or 1 month with butter, cream and sticky puddings I know which I would choose.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Several thoughts:

A friend is insulin-dependant type 2 diabetic and is up with the latest thinking. She eats

My dad had been diagnosed diabetic and was on a low dose of metformin. His condition was never reviewed and I'm convinced that if he had diabetes at all he would now be classed as pre-diabetic. The problems started when he went into hospital where the treatment of diabetics was straight from the 1950s. It said DIABETIC above his bed but it might have said LEPROSY. He was allowed nothing containing sugar and as a result his blood glucose levels dropped so low that they had to give him a glucose drink before he could get up in a morning which defeated the object. This was 10 years ago but it's worth making sure your mum isn't classed as diabetic if possible.

Last year my wife's glucose reading just crept over the limit and the alarm bells started ringing at the diabetic clinic. I pointed out that a reading going from 6.0 to 6.1 is hardly a major increase (in fact due to rounding it may have gone from 6.049 to 6.050). Because of my dad's experience I persuaded the doctor not to tick the "Diabetic" box as there were no symptoms. At this time she came off Bendroflumethiazide which is known to increase glucose levels. We've just had her latest test and it's well within the normal range.

Make sure your mum has had the HbA1c test. This averages the blood glucose over the last 3 months and so is the only reliable way of measuring glucose level.

Last year I went to a presentation at a (non-dementia) hospice. The "chef" explained how everyone was given a healthy low fat diet. I pointed out that if I was bed-bound and could choose between living 2 months on a low fat diet or 1 month with butter, cream and sticky puddings I know which I would choose.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad has been borderline for years but I let him eat what he likes. He has cancer and needs the calories. Chocolate biscuits, ice cream with cream, if he wants it he can have it. He is looking really well but I would not like him to have his cholesterol tested.

Evoque

Mar 14, 2017
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, a friend also remarked that the doctor was merely doing what is expected of them, in that they have to inform the patient that they are pre-diabetic and offer them advice. Mum even had a little slip to fill in to say she was choosing to opt OUT of the pre-diabetic "club" she'd been invited to!!!!

I think I will continue to buy her her little treats. She is always delighted when I bring her sweets or chocolate.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I would make the same decision.

My wife has raised cholesterol, but not yet high enough to medicate. The GP informed us, as he must, about the raised level but I still buy chocolate and sweets etc as my wife has that typical dementia sweet tooth. I take the attitude that she has a life limiting, progressive illness and I would want the same treatment were I in her shoes. Life would become too grim without the occasional treat.