Film - A Head Full of Honey.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It does look very good. I may or may not go to see it. I'm undecided also.

I have seen several movies about dementia. Iris with Judy Dench is the best, in my mind. The one I cordially disliked was The Notebook. The way Gena Rowlands' character switched back and forth from complete lucidity to total confusion just did not ring true. Gena Rowlands is a fine actress, but that script was a turgid, steaming mess.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I also liked Iris @Canadian Joanne. To be honest it's the only one I've watched. I normally avoid films about dementia but having liked Iris Murdoch and liking Judi Dench I decided to get the DVD. I'm glad I did.

I doubt if I'll go to see this new one.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I made myself see Iris, I had neighbours who had dementia, it was so beautifully filmed. Very sensitive to the feeling of a husband having to deal with a once important author. A brilliant brain. I think student medics and social workers should see it.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I saw Iris, she had a brilliant brain yet succumbed. A salutary message that was needed. Living with it closely means we all have our own story, others are not always helpful. There are so many variants.
Sharing on here is different they are not just a story but bring support to all our stories.
I am concerned that sometimes a film can become rather sugar coated to sell seats.
if so it will not help any of us.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I saw Iris, she had a brilliant brain yet succumbed. A salutary message that was needed. Living with it closely means we all have our own story, others are not always helpful. There are so many variants.
Sharing on here is different they are not just a story but bring support to all our stories.
I am concerned that sometimes a film can become rather sugar coated to sell seats.
if so it will not help any of us.

I see your point @AliceA and it is a valid one, but film media does help raise awareness, even if it is sugar coated. It can be a powerful medium through which just letting others know this problem exists, conveys a message. Sometimes we have to sugar coat things to get people to swallow the point of the message, not everyone can deal with the real truth.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
You are right, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
I like some of the books that show how others have coped, these can inspire.
We are watching and listening to hang drums and gongs on Youtube.
My husband is fascinated, at least it is restful!
I hope all is well with your Mum.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi All, I watched Head Full Of Honey this week - I personally wouldn't recommend it at all, I found it to be a totally unrealistic and almost comic portrayal - it is pretty much the polar opposite to the painfully vivid Elizabeth Is Missing.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi All, I watched Head Full Of Honey this week - I personally wouldn't recommend it at all, I found it to be a totally unrealistic and almost comic portrayal - it is pretty much the polar opposite to the painfully vivid Elizabeth Is Missing.
I thought the book and the TV adaptation with Glenda Jackson of Elizabeth were truly excellent. I’m not usually a fan of the stuff she acts in but she really knows her craft and was totally convincing in that.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

I agree, but as with all things there are many different sides to the same life experience. Most people can't deal with this topic easily and as I said before, it has its uses as 'a film' but for me and as for you thats where it stops.

I think Elizabeth is Missing was excellent and well played by GJ, and with a brilliant twist to the tale that perhaps tells us that pwd may often be trying to tell us something in their own way.

My zero out of ten goes to Casualty -appaulingly trite rubbish and unfortuantely prime time TV. ?

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Most people can't deal with this topic easily and as I said before, it has its uses as 'a film' but for me and as for you thats where it stops.
I do agree (perhaps something is better than nothing), although the frustrations of the good folk on the forum of absent friends and relatives appearing now and again with no real understanding of the trials and tribulations that many have to go through aren't really helped when their 'understanding' is driven by what they see in film or TV - which was why Elizabeth Is Missing was important (albeit probably a distant memory for most). I've never watched Casualty but I'm guessing it had an unrealistic portrayal of dementia in some form?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I do agree (perhaps something is better than nothing), although the frustrations of the good folk on the forum of absent friends and relatives appearing now and again with no real understanding of the trials and tribulations that many have to go through aren't really helped when their 'understanding' is driven by what they see in film or TV - which was why Elizabeth Is Missing was important (albeit probably a distant memory for most). I've never watched Casualty but I'm guessing it had an unrealistic portrayal of dementia in some form?

I think Casualty was such a let down because it was targeted at a prime time audience, and who wants to see the nitty gritty of the world of dementia on a Saturday night with a glass of wine in hand?? Hence a very watered down and popularised version of 'dementia'. But are TV soaps the right medium to address serious issues? I guess the answer to that is 'it all depends....'.

I guess its hard to know what content to put in these programs as viewers with no experience of dementia could find it all quite disturbing or at least uncomfortable and probably change channels

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife