Moving on

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
In the last 6 months I have travelled through the worst nightmare anyone could have 3 bereavements my never ending kitchen still on going then my Gordons bday ( I did not cry in church I felt happy and close to Gordon)
I have not been in a good place and it was so easy for me to fall into a very deep depression and not bother if I came out of it but is that the answer what would I achieve by letting this happen nothing! my life is not over its just beginning!
After so many years of caring for my mum and bringing a family up and then caring for Gordon I forgot me! I don't know me anymore! I sometimes think what would my life have been like if I had travel a different path and well now is the time to find out because I have made a turn I am making my home the way I like and its given me great enjoyment doing this.
I have been able to get in the garden and forget time and worry just myself to please and I am loving it I have freedom! I feel reborn if thats the word I am looking for.
I am me!! with fairy lights on the mantal piece and music blurting out something I have not done for a long time and clearing out old and bringing in new.
Yes Gordon will always be here with me my memories, my love for him and his approval to now live my life the way I want I think I am going to be alright.
Best wishes everyone.
Elaine x

Fabulous post! Best wishes for your recovery of self - for joy and blessings in the future. xx

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Just had to write and let you all know the council inspector came to pass the kitchen he was not happy with it many jobs needed redoing so now my kitchen as been emulsioned 6 times and wood work 4 times can you believe it all this since the 18th April.
One guy turned up with white emulsion no wrong colour I said he went away and came back with green I did not pick green he said its left from the house up the road that's beside the point I don't want green in the end he got it right if you don't laugh you would sit and cry or ask them to lock you up with a padded jacket lol.
Did manage to get the hood put up over the hob they took pity on me in the end or got fed up of me pestering them oh the joys of life.
Love and hugs
Elaine xx

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
What a nuisance for you - when it could have been such a happy time, a new start getting the kitchen fitted up, and instead you've had all this hassle and all these mistakes and time-wasting. I hope you'll get there pretty soon, and be able to relax a little and enjoy the summer. xx

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
I am really feeling on top of the world and see my future a head of me being good. I have said so many good byes to Gordon in the last 6 months it's time now to move on to my next stage my life.
A great influence on me as been a song from The Greatest Showman and the song is This is Me it made me really sit and listen to the words it's helped me find me again. I thought about meeting someone else but I am not ready for that stage as yet if ever and really I need to take time out to do what I want.
I am enjoying my own company and my little dogs are making this possible we have such a lot of fun together and I know Gordon is with me I feel him around me no matter what I do. I feel like a butterfly coming from a dark place into the light and warmth that's the only way I can explain it and how I feel.
I have really enjoyed getting in the garden I have pulled lots of things up that Gordon planted only because I can no longer reach them to cut down and it does look better so I am keeping on the top of things now.
My son's, friends and the church family are so important to me my spirits are always lifted when I am around them and they are so pleased to see the change in me and that I am moving on with my life.
Fingers crossed the kitchen will get a pass if not I give up that's all I can say on that lol.
Love and hugs to you all
Elaine xx

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Hello everyone been a while since I have been on I have been busy in the garden and getting lots of jobs done plus a bit of sun bathing in between I managed to fix the garden gate my big achievement it only needed a screw in but still lol.
I find myself in this caring mode again it's just in my blood my Tesco driver as got many family problems and I just listen to him while I get my shopping in and I know it's good to talk that's why I am here talking to all of you my support came from you when I needed it the most.
He just needed to get it all of his chest and I could see the relief in his face he lost his dad May we chat on Facebook now and I think he tells me more than he tells his wife he probably finds it easier to tell me I really hope it's helped him I am a good listener.
I have also been visiting a young woman from church in hospital she had this gastric cuff fitted to lose weight that was 8 weeks ago complications set in sending a clot of blood to her lungs now the doctors are saying she may need to be opened up again to see what is going on yes she as lost some weight only because she is taking sips of water food makes her sick as it been worth it she as her doubt now.
My GP retired last week I chatted with him on my last visit I told him it had taken me 6 months to get out of this caring mode (which obviously I am not so being a doctor how did he feel about walking away from everything it made him think he said he was taking 3 months out and reconsider his future he may come back from time to time you see when you deal with people or even look after them it's hard to walk away from.
The house still as not been passed yet that's it! oh I did get a new socket put in last week in the living room don't rush them lol.
Father's Day we found hard so I lit a candle in church for Gordon from his 3 son's that is all we can do now for him I have moments where I miss him still but I know he's with me and that gives me comfort.

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Hello everyone just had to share with you my biggest achievement yet I got on a bus on my own to come home from my local shopping centre. I had taken one of my dogs to the vets only for its booster with my son and it was such a hot day I thought I cannot walk back up that hill I will be dead for sure my son said he was walking up with the dog so I jumped on the bus the driver showed me what to do with my pass and away we went.
I felt I had climbed a mountain and I just wanted to shout it out and I really was ok so now I know I can do this again. I am moving on a bit faster now and find I have found my love for gardening again so spending many hours out there I can always do inside hobbies when the weather is bad. I appreciate every day I get up and never take anything for granted we are only here a short time and I am going to make the most of my life while I can.

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Hi everyone so sorry it's been so long since I have been on I did not realise the length of time that as passed.
I have been living just simply that! I have been throwing myself into church work, meetings as I am on the(PCC) and meals out with friends very enjoyable.
Also I had a date we went to the cinema and meal after it felt very strange at first being sat next to another man after all the years with my Gordon. A sudden feeling of disrespect for Gordon crept in but I knew he would want me to be happy do I want to meet this man again not sure yet lol.
I am venturing out on my own a lot more now and I am happy being an independent person, for the very first time since Gordon passed away I am happy. He's still with me everyday I open my eyes till I close them but the living with out him is easy now. We are going into 9 months since he left it might not be long enough before dating but my life was on hold for so long and I am not getting any younger I want to have some fun.
Gordon knew I would not be on my own long he even said and he gave me his blessing, I have spoken with my son's about my life and my dating and I just got no worries enjoy now mum you brought us up you did everything for dad to the end and your life you gave up for us all go and enjoy yours now.
Of course I do not forget the most important people that went out of their way to help me when I needed it the most and they are the ones I am talking too now as I write!!!! The community on here!!! you saved my life and welcomed me as a friend of many years into the gathering THANK YOU.
I will make sure it is not so long now before I am on again.
Love, hugs and best wishes
Gail xxx

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Hello everyone, so sorry it's been so long but here I am. Today it's been a year since my Gordon passed away it's been a struggle over the last 2 weeks I have relived every day from last year, I have cried buckets but it was something I had to do my last part of grieving my first year over its been a tough one on my own trying to build my new life not sure I have moved that far.
I have thrown myself into church, done some writing for my own pleasure not touched any of my hobbies even though I have time now I just did not feel it was important anymore till I got past this first year I just needed to get to this point.
I have learnt to live on my own and most of the time I enjoy my freedom no worries, no having to look after another person and see to their demands it's good for so long then you feel you have something missing a big part of your life as gone.
I did try dating again not very successful I don't think they understood when they asked what was the most exciting thing in my life or what I had done I could not really answer that apart from bringing 3 son's up and being a carer that was my life to them it was not very exciting or interesting. Traveling was a big part of their lives going round the world twice plus two holidays a year in different countries and here's me no holiday in 6years and even then it was only a week at Skeggie lol that's my trip.
I feel I had a more rewarding life, happier than theirs holidays are holidays I had a life of good memories still do but still wish Gordon was here to enjoy. This year I will hold Christmas and have fond memories plus party the night away.
Best wishes to you all
Loads of hugs
Elaine. Xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Elaine. It`s a struggle, but so satisfying when we manage to stay positive and keep busy.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
Hello everyone, so sorry it's been so long but here I am. Today it's been a year since my Gordon passed away it's been a struggle over the last 2 weeks I have relived every day from last year, I have cried buckets but it was something I had to do my last part of grieving my first year over its been a tough one on my own trying to build my new life not sure I have moved that far.
I have thrown myself into church, done some writing for my own pleasure not touched any of my hobbies even though I have time now I just did not feel it was important anymore till I got past this first year I just needed to get to this point.
I have learnt to live on my own and most of the time I enjoy my freedom no worries, no having to look after another person and see to their demands it's good for so long then you feel you have something missing a big part of your life as gone.
I did try dating again not very successful I don't think they understood when they asked what was the most exciting thing in my life or what I had done I could not really answer that apart from bringing 3 son's up and being a carer that was my life to them it was not very exciting or interesting. Traveling was a big part of their lives going round the world twice plus two holidays a year in different countries and here's me no holiday in 6years and even then it was only a week at Skeggie lol that's my trip.
I feel I had a more rewarding life, happier than theirs holidays are holidays I had a life of good memories still do but still wish Gordon was here to enjoy. This year I will hold Christmas and have fond memories plus party the night away.
Best wishes to you all
Loads of hugs
Elaine. Xx
Best wishes to you all
Loads of hugs
Elaine. Xx
Moving on.Today it's 85 weeks since my lovely wife June died and time does not seem to heal the grief .I am trying to move on and have just meet a lovely lady on a dating site it's all a bit strange. She is a widow and like me she has a good family but is still lonely. I just wish I could speak to June it's silly but I fill I am cheating on her WHY.why at 80 years old my life seems such a mess

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's almost 2.5 years since my husband died. In many ways I am like you @Elaine68. I have cried a river and still do but I have made a different kind of life for myself. I think grief never actually leaves you. It changes and you learn to live with it. Well that's my experience anyway. I still grieve for my boy but I go out with friends, go on holidays and have fun. He's still with me though. Sorry - I think I'm rambling.

I heard this poem recently and it really sums it up for me -

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/for-grief/

Wishing you all well as our lives move on.

Elaine68

Jul 20, 2017
Sheffield
Moving on.Today it's 85 weeks since my lovely wife June died and time does not seem to heal the grief .I am trying to move on and have just meet a lovely lady on a dating site it's all a bit strange. She is a widow and like me she has a good family but is still lonely. I just wish I could speak to June it's silly but I fill I am cheating on her WHY.why at 80 years old my life seems such a mess

Hello Tony, sorry to hear about your wife! No grief does not heal fast or take the pain away you live with a knot in your stomach and a lump in your throat and you get up every morning feeling this way and some how work your way through the day and you go to bed only to have the same feelings again.
I have my ups and downs but it's getting easier apart from today it's hit me I am just reliving it but do you know what tomorrow is another day it's a day where we start living our lives and making the most of it.
I too have a new man in my life we have just started to date it's strange yes because we look at this new person next to us and we think we are betraying our loved ones but we are not they want us to be happy and move on to better things so don't ever think you are cheating on your lovely wife.
This new lady of yours sounds very nice if you both are lonely why not make a go of it and I am sure your June will be looking down on you and smiling with approval I know my Gordon is.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your new life you will be ok it will not always be a mess honest.
Best wishes
Elaine. X