Not toileting

jellymac

Nov 29, 2014
West Midlands
Hi.
My mom has been having a few problems the last couple of weeks with swallowing, she's either completely refusing food or taking a long time to eat, when she does eat she holds it in her mouth for a while before swallowing. Her care home has referred her to the SALT team. The last couple of days she hasn't really drank anything either, her care home have just phone my dad to have him on standby as she hasn't been to the toilet to urine since 2:30 yesterday afternoon. They have spoken to her doc all day who just kept saying see how she goes, theyve called the out of hours doc at 6:00pm who have said give it 2 more hours and if she doesnt do anything take her to hospital. Is this really dangerous not going to the toilet for so long? She's had little sips of water but nothing much. Thank you.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
We can't give medical advice on the forum, not least because the causes and effects can both be varied.

In your position I would follow the advice from the out of hours doctor.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi.
My mom has been having a few problems the last couple of weeks with swallowing, she's either completely refusing food or taking a long time to eat, when she does eat she holds it in her mouth for a while before swallowing. Her care home has referred her to the SALT team. The last couple of days she hasn't really drank anything either, her care home have just phone my dad to have him on standby as she hasn't been to the toilet to urine since 2:30 yesterday afternoon. They have spoken to her doc all day who just kept saying see how she goes, theyve called the out of hours doc at 6:00pm who have said give it 2 more hours and if she doesnt do anything take her to hospital. Is this really dangerous not going to the toilet for so long? She's had little sips of water but nothing much. Thank you.

Dear Jelly Mac,

I think you should try suggesting to the care home that they ask to see another doctor at your mum's surgery and get a second opinion. I think the doctor needs to see if your mum has some sort of infection possibly a urinary infection.

MaNaAk

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Two months ago my husband had a long period without urinating. I dialled 111 and was told to take him to A & E. They kept him in for the day and did a lot of tests and found his bowel was solid. They put two litres of water into him and he certainly peed after that and we were sent home with a box of Laxido. Although constipation had never been a problem before he has had several bouts since and I have given him more Laxido. Going to A & E might be your best bet if you are worried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet