Rapid decline

SarahMdxx

Nov 19, 2018
Hi, my Nana got taken into full time care in April and since then she seems to be deteriorating really fast. We only got the diagnosis in January this year, but on reflection it is something she has been moderately suffering with for a few years. In April my Mum had a brain hemorrhage, she was my Nanas full time carer and I looked after my Nan for 2 days a week , to try and give my Mum a break but with two children and being at University it was all I could do. My Mum is still not well but she’s getting stronger by the day and her speech has returned, but she has a second aneurysm so she needs to try not to get stressed which is so difficult for her with everything that is going on with my Nan. Social services decided that my Nan need full time care in May, I know she definitely does as my Mum can’t look after her anymore and I have to look after my children and make sure my Mum is ok, but why is it so hard to accept? we as a family feel constantly guilty and there is not a day that goes by when we’re not in tears. My Nan has hallucinations where people are trying to kill her and she regularly sees her Mum and Dad who are not alive, she is taking anti psychotic tablets, but do not seem to be helping at all! She still remembers us all but she just looks so poorly compared to before. She no longer walks around, she doesn’t know when she needs the toilet and forgets when she has eaten. She wasn’t like this before, is this normal? or has her going into care made it worse for her? We’re struggling to take my Nana out for the day, as she gets confused and doesn’t want to go back to the home, it seems to cause her more distress than good, which breaks my heart as I miss all the little things we used to do together. All I want to say is I applaud every single one of you, reading all the threads is such a help to me and my Mum, to know we’re not the only ones going through it. I just need to learn how to shake off the guilt as I know it’s not my fault but it’s not an easy thing to do , take care xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think it might be better not to take her out again to spare her the confusion. It should be about what's best for her, not what you miss doing with her, although I understand the sentiment.

Care homes don't usually make people worse, but they can emphasise someone's condition. It doesn't sound like she could be cared for at home anymore, so you have nothing to feel guilty about. That is easier said than done though, I know!

If the tablets she is taking don't seem to help, the GP should review them - it is often a trial and error until the right one is found, so maybe you can ask for this to be done.