Full time Carer living with Mother. What happens to the home when..

Jimmy Cooper

Nov 17, 2018
I am a full time carer looking after my mum in her house.

It is almost getting to the point where I can't cope and I'm considering putting mum into full time care home.

Mum has more than £30K in savings. (not that much more). If mum went into care and I continued to live in the house. Once the savings were gone, would the house need to be sold to pay for care? Could I buy a small flat from the sale? Can I be kicked out the home ?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It all depends whether you are over 60, or incapacitated, then the house would be a mandatory disregard. Depending on how long you've lived there you could ask for a discretionary disregard, but it's by no means certain. If the house does have to be sold and it's in her name only, you cannot use it to buy yourself anything with it, I'm afraid.

Jimmy Cooper

Nov 17, 2018
It all depends whether you are over 60, or incapacitated, then the house would be a mandatory disregard. Depending on how long you've lived there you could ask for a discretionary disregard, but it's by no means certain. If the house does have to be sold and it's in her name only, you cannot use it to buy yourself anything with it, I'm afraid.

No, late 40's and not incapacitated. I fear I could end up homeless :-(

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to TP, Jimmy Cooper. I don't know the answer, though Beate is probably right. The National Dementia Helpline may be able to advise or point you in the right direction
The number is
0300 222 11 22
and
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Good luck.

Jimmy Cooper

Nov 17, 2018
I'm in the same boat 45 years in the same house,do you have any help from carers?
Yes, have carers that come in twice a week to bath mum. Just increasing this now to three times a week but may have to do every morning and every evening too :-( just to help with getting up and going to bed as its becoming too difficult.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
No, late 40's and not incapacitated. I fear I could end up homeless :-(

Hello Jim!

At 54 I'm in the same boat as you and I had to put dad into the home because I realised I could no longer cope. There was a thread recently where the sender was wondering whether they should make themselves homeless before the council took the house and the suggestion was that they should stay put. This way the council would be obliged to find a home for the sender before taking their house. However neither you nor I would want to be in this position so I think you could consider deferred payment and as I have said in another thread my local authority said that I should contact them when dad's savings get to £30000 and at this point they would organise a financial assessment and go through the options that are available.

I don't like to think of the financial burden but a year ago dad was starting to have several falls and I was beside myself with worry.

Sending hugs to you as I know how this feels

MaNaAk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa