Wish me luck!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
well today we are going back to the consultant for a confirmed diagnosis???? This is after two years of tests and waiting!! maybe..a confirmed diagnosis a..OH still inlocal hospital Rehab Ward after a stroke last week! When explained about today’s appointment the stroke consultant was eager for the appointment to be kept , so they have arranged transport to the other hospital ,then back to the rehab ward , so all being well we will go this afternoon!
On the advise of TP users I have written a letter explaining all the symptoms and changes in the last four months! So it’s now crunch time!! Will let you know how it goes!!!
In the mean time the rehab ward things are moving very s l o w l y !!!!'!!! OHhas to have to have assistance with transferring, etc and is not allowed to walk to the toilet ( about twenty steps) without a nurse accompanying!
But , the physio has declared she is happy for him to go home!! Down now to OTs,,,
I have explained no discharge without a care plan!! Time will tell!
Wish us luck for today!!!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I hope things go well today.
@Izzy thanks for your reply. It was an utter waste of time!
I am so so angry , upset, and just plain devastated!
Apart from all that it was so tiring and really to much for OH !
Will post more when I have the time and feeling better

Platinum

Nov 7, 2017
South east
@Izzy thanks for your reply. It was an utter waste of time!
I am so so angry , upset, and just plain devastated!
Apart from all that it was so tiring and really to much for OH !
Will post more when I have the time and feeling better
I’m so sorry this happened especially as your stroke consultant wanted you to go despite the obvious difficulties in getting there. The anger is completely understandable but the disappointment must be overwhelming. Be sure to let your stroke consultant know how you feel and anyone else who will listen. The caring professions have forgotten how to care in many instances. It doesn’t help one bit. I hope you feel better soon.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Well here I am, After two weeks OH still in hospital following the stroke! Although no one has confirmed it was a TIA. ! We are going through the discharge process , but I have requested a cognitive test before discharge, this was advised to me my the memory nurse who did the first home visit to us and diagnosed MCI early 2017!
I cannot thank her enough, I contacted her following the unhelpful and stupid consultant! The memory nurse will visit OH when he’s been home about a month! Thank goodness some are on our side!
He is very immobile now and has taken another fall in hospital, and of course memory much worse!
The hospital staff have been good but some don’t seem able to understand that he cannot always understand or remember,
But he I said one tough guy!
Only hope I can be as tough as the road ahead will be difficult I know!!
I should have been rested whilst he’s in hospital but cannot sleep with worry and the visits and phone calls are tiring but hay hoe! Here we go!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thinking of you.

I hope you will have a care package in place for him when he gets home.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Well after a month here we are again, I was just so low I didn’t feel up to posting on here(have taken to writing poetry to express my feelings] yes Oh has a ‘full care package’ 14hours a week, district nurse twice daily for insulin during this he was very poorly and when I spoke to the diabetic team ( still awaiting home visit to sort out balance? ) tested positive so another UTI so antibiotics that raise his sugar levels, but no one cares.. This is still the six week ‘free’ should have been rehab package! Well after numerous calls got the assessment this week and it obviously long term, just waiting for financial review! He is to my mind still declining daily, movement and mobilty virtually gone, and yesterday another fall/slip from bed whilst sitting waiting to get up! Bless him he tried so hard to raise with the advice from the carers but is so weak , paramedics arrived and used the magic cushion, luckily no broken bones! Just another setback!! I am so so worried about Christmas, son took him out two weeks ago in wheelchair( despite every excuse in the book!!) in taxi where the wheelchair goes in! So he has apbooked for the taxi to take us to his for Christmas lunch! A family get together of 20 will be overwhelming! I whole afternoon or longer in wheelchair and toilet without grab rails???? I am dreading it! But OH insistent he will go! Unfortunately as helpful and concern3d the family are none really realise just how immobile OH is!
Hoping after Christmas we will hear from the memory clinic, plus the paramedic is referring to falls preventions and O/T s , if that ever happens.
But my main reason for the post is to say to all I hope that Christmas is as peaceful as it can be for everyone
After all it is only one day!!
Sending sincere wishes for calm and peace!

Phelippe

Dec 21, 2018
This is my first ever posting. It’s not even clear yet that my wife has Alzheimer’s - we’re needing to wait till around the end of January for a meeting with the clinical neurologist after intensive memory testing and a lumbar puncture.

But symptoms have certainly been increasing in the past 2-3 years, with memory loss and disorientation.

Why are you, Lady M, posting in ‘New’ when it seems your husband (OH?) is now in such an advanced state and your are having to provide such intensive and supportive care? How long ago was he diagnosed?

Maybe Christmas Day will turn out to be less of a nightmare than you anticipate - or maybe anticipation helps avoid some of the worst potential crises. I do hope so and that there are some good, sustaining and enjoyable aspects.

Phelippe.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
This is my first ever posting. It’s not even clear yet that my wife has Alzheimer’s - we’re needing to wait till around the end of January for a meeting with the clinical neurologist after intensive memory testing and a lumbar puncture.

But symptoms have certainly been increasing in the past 2-3 years, with memory loss and disorientation.

Why are you, Lady M, posting in ‘New’ when it seems your husband (OH?) is now in such an advanced state and your are having to provide such intensive and supportive care? How long ago was he diagnosed?

Maybe Christmas Day will turn out to be less of a nightmare than you anticipate - or maybe anticipation helps avoid some of the worst potential crises. I do hope so and that there are some good, sustaining and enjoyable aspects.

Phelippe.

Welcome to TP @Phelippe

I hope you find us helpful & supportive.

Lady M is posting in the I have a partner with dementia section which is most suited to her situation.

@Lady M I wish you strength to get through Christmas.