New to caring/being a Companion and need advice and support

Seamouse

Nov 14, 2018
Hello. I have been employed as a Companion/Carer/Enabler to an 83 year old lady who has Alzheimers. I Live with her from Monday to Friday at her home in West Hampstead. I would appreciate some advice support on the following:

1. This lady used to play bridge at least 3 times a week, and was an excellent player. Soon after her diagnosis last year she was asked to leave the Club which had played such a large role in her life due to her memory loss. Could someone suggest some activities that I could take her to/do with her to fill this large gap in her life. Unfortunately the Club members do not keep in touch with her.

2. I am away most weekends and a carer pops in each day for a half an hour. She also receives a short visit from family members. However I know she dreads Fridays. Is there anyone who could visit her/take her out for a coffee or somewhere safe and close by that she could go to? I have spoken to local Community Centres but there helpful neighbour schemes do not include visiting people with dementia. Her family cannot afford more care at the weekends.

3. I am sure there are many privately paid carers (I am employed by the family) in the West Hampstead area and I would welcome contact and support as I do not know anyone in London as I have lived by the south coast for the last 22 years.

Looking forward to responses :)

regards

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, Seamouse. It is sad that the lady you care for can no longer play bridge, and she is often alone for most of the weekend. I'm not in London and can't offer any local advice, but
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you may give you some information. Just type in your postcode and it will give you a few options including activities in the area. I hope that helps.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
I used to visit a lady with dementia and she loved playing dominoes, crosswords and jigsaws. Perhaps these sort of activities might go some way to replacing her bridge sessions.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi. Maybe you could ask her to teach you how to play bridge? Even if she does not remember everything it could end up as a completely new game with rules constantly changing. If it was such an important part of her life maybe it would make her happy to try and pass that knowledge on to someone else? Sorry if it's not helpful. The friend I look after often feels like she is useless and can't do anything anymore. she used to love dominoes, cribbage and darts. We play dominoes quite often and sometimes the rles can change several times during the game if she has a worse day and can't remember. If she gets mixed up I usually pretend i messed something up and I say something to that effect, so she doesn't feel anxious. Sometimes she is worried that she is 'loosing her marbles' as she puts it and can get upset but if I pretend it's me doing something daft she accepts it and we can laugh about it.