He has CHC but I want to move care home

Snowedunder

Jun 13, 2013
West Country
My husband's dementia is advanced and he has Continuing Health Care. There have been many changes of staff at his care home recently, including the departure of a wonderful manager who also had dementia nursing qualifications. Since she left, the personal care and nursing care have deteriorated to the point where I really want to move him to another care home. Does anyone have experience of this? I know the present home negotiated a fee with the CCG so would I need the permission of the CCG to move him? I've rung a few homes but have been told the family would have to top up from the CHC funding to the level of fees in a new place but I thought this was not allowed and, anyway, we can't afford it after paying the full price for nearly four years.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There have been a few posts here recently about requests from homes for 'top ups' for CHC funded residents. People should not be paying 'top up's' when fully CHC funded but it seems that homes don't want to accept the fees paid by CCG's so are increasing their income by asking families to pay a 'top up' for ''extras' they provide outwith the basic CHC needs.

I think the first thing you need to do is to speak with the CCG. They will likely only consider a move if the current placement is not meeting your husband's needs or there are safeguarding issues. His standard of care may have got worse due to the change of manager/staff but you will need to be specific about how this is no longer meeting his needs.

Snowedunder

Jun 13, 2013
West Country
There have been a few posts here recently about requests from homes for 'top ups' for CHC funded residents. People should not be paying 'top up's' when fully CHC funded but it seems that homes don't want to accept the fees paid by CCG's so are increasing their income by asking families to pay a 'top up' for ''extras' they provide outwith the basic CHC needs.

I think the first thing you need to do is to speak with the CCG. They will likely only consider a move if the current placement is not meeting your husband's needs or there are safeguarding issues. His standard of care may have got worse due to the change of manager/staff but you will need to be specific about how this is no longer meeting his needs.

Thank you for your advice Louise; I've been keeping a record of the problems, which I will use when contacting the CCG.