Charges for domiciliary care

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Is there any research on what each local authority charge for domiciliary care?

When I showed the latest invoice to the care company we use her comment was that it was higher than the amount she charges the LA.

Is there any relationship between the amount paid to the care company per hour and the amount charged to the person?

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Local authorities are able to negotiate their rates with care agencies/homes so can often obtain the service at a lower rate than if individuals were paying for the service themselves.

Your local authority has deemed you to be a self-funder so I wouldn't expect them to pass on any 'preferential rate' to you. You presumably approached them to request help with care, and agreed to them arranging that care? The problem you have is that although deemed a self-funder you don't have the funds to pay for care yourself. You may well be able to find care cheaper than that provided by the local authority but it's a moot point as you are not in a position to pay for it. It's a difficult position but as per your other thread it seems that the only way round it is to request a deferred payment to pay for the care.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Local authorities are able to negotiate their rates with care agencies/homes so can often obtain the service at a lower rate than if individuals were paying for the service themselves.
The posts I seen on this forum suggest that £30 per hour is the standard care for home care. My LA puts the care out for local tended but pays around £18 per hour - so is it a case of the LA making a profit out of charging those who have to pay for care. Is it similar to the care home fees where care homes charge private residences more than the amount charged to the LA?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I think a 'standard' charge of £30 per hour is a bit the high side. Mum's care was around £20 and that was at London prices. How much per hour are the LA charging you? LA's have limited budgets so you would expect them to not charge a 'reduced' rate to self funders. They negotiate with the care agency, deal with payments and deal with any problems with the care provided so it's not unreasonable for them to charge self-funders for this service.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
my mum pays £15.75 an hour for care arranged by the LA but fully paid by mum as she has savings over the upper limit,I enquired with the care company to see if it would be cheaper to pay them privately but it was a lot more expensive,mum pays £275 a week,for 4 calls a day and 2 carers at each call

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011

Your local authority has deemed you to be a self-funder so I wouldn't expect them to pass on any 'preferential rate' to you. You presumably approached them to request help with care, and agreed to them arranging that care? The problem you have is that although deemed a self-funder you don't have the funds to pay for care yourself. You may well be able to find care cheaper than that provided by the local authority but it's a moot point as you are not in a position to pay for it. It's a difficult position but as per your other thread it seems that the only way round it is to request a deferred payment to pay for the care.

We're fully self-funding and our local authority commissions for us and we benefit from their reduced rate.

If there was no financial benefit then I would pay directly to the care agency. But beyond routing payments through the local authority they have absolutely nothing to do with my mother's care.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I have had one invoice so far: It does not give any breakdown just £498.62 for one week's care.

You should have either a hospital discharge paper or some other paper that spells out the hours, hourly rate and name of agency. If you don't have it you can ask for one.

Domiciliary care fees vary quite a lot regionally. My mother is in the rural SW so costs are a wee bit lower than say, London or the South East.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
The agency my friend uses charges about £26 per hour privately. LA pays £18.75 or something around that figure, so there is a bit of difference. This is in Hertfordshire