Falling backwards

highland girl

Jul 30, 2017
Yorkshire
Hi

My OH has mixed dementia alz/vascular plus Parkinson’s. I would say later stages, mobility been bad for a good while, however the last couple of weeks struggling to keep his balance when standing, he’s leaning backwards which is making it difficult to dress him etc as I have to hold him upright. He walks when I urge him along leading him from the front with both hands but if I let go he would fall backwards, has anyone else experienced this? Thank you xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband had Alzheimers and he had a tendency to lean backwards. Not all of the time but it was very scary when he did and I had to be very quick to steady him.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
Hi @highland girl

My wife has Alzheimer's plus Parkinson's and given any chance she will fall over backwards. When I am holding her in a standing position she will lean back quite a way and if I say "stand upright" she will reply that she is standing upright. It is difficult because for walking, dressing etc I need to be in front of her so when she falls she falls away from me.

Co-beneldopa (Madopar) seems to help with standing and walking. She can do neither unaided but at least she doesn't end up leaning backwards at a ridiculous angle while her feet are frozen to the floor.

highland girl

Jul 30, 2017
Yorkshire
Hi @highland girl

My wife has Alzheimer's plus Parkinson's and given any chance she will fall over backwards. When I am holding her in a standing position she will lean back quite a way and if I say "stand upright" she will reply that she is standing upright. It is difficult because for walking, dressing etc I need to be in front of her so when she falls she falls away from me.

Co-beneldopa (Madopar) seems to help with standing and walking. She can do neither unaided but at least she doesn't end up leaning backwards at a ridiculous angle while her feet are frozen to the floor.

Hi @BeardyD
Thank you for responding, my oh is on co careldopa which is the same drug, it helped enormously when he first went on it 18 months ago, but isn’t as effective now unless of course it’s just the natural progression of he diseases, which is probably the case. We had to reduce it down quite a while ago as it does have adverse effects on the Alzheimers but the leaning back is very recent. Dressing etc is really problematic with the leaning as I struggle to hold him. The freezing on the spot must be scary for them too as they want to move and can’t. Hope you’re having s good day . S x