Private carers.

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
Word of mouth recommendation helped me select a care company. Sometimes characters dont fit though...I made a mistake continuing to employ a Carer who didn’t really match family need. When I raised issues with the company they immediately found someone who has been a great fit. Should have raised my concerns more quickly...as much as for her as us! Good luck

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Is looking for good private carers as difficult as looking for a needle in a haystack??

I went for personal recommendation but to be quite honest I find you have to keep on top of the private care company to make sure things are done properly. My mother-in-law went into a care home eventually but I would have kept the same care company even though they were slightly more expensive than others in the area. The main complaint I had with the care company was the shortage of staff and often the late arrival of carers and I think that's probably a common issue

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Maybe I just struck lucky, I knew no one to ask so I just googled 'care at home' and my mother's location, looked at a couple of websites and rang one. They were brilliant and looked after my mother for 18 months at home. The care director always responded quickly to any issues and went above and beyond to resolve them, and they aimed to send the same regular carers, my mother was particularly fond of two of them. I was only aware of them being more than a few minutes late on one occasion.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
I use a private care agency for mum. Minimum of an hour's visit so a relatioship builds up. Can't recommended them highly enough

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Is looking for good private carers as difficult as looking for a needle in a haystack??
Sort of. I initially had good carers from two different companies (not at the same time, finished with one and went to the other) but their managements wasn't exactly sure of how to use the powers of their roles.
I now have what seems a decent care company and the management acts on requests quick enough but, similar to what RosettaStone57 said, I'm finding that the carer sometimes has an issue with timing and doesn't do all the things asked of them to do.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask that question? Are you having issues with finding a carer or with your current carer?

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
Sort of. I initially had good carers from two different companies (not at the same time, finished with one and went to the other) but their managements wasn't exactly sure of how to use the powers of their roles.
I now have what seems a decent care company and the management acts on requests quick enough but, similar to what RosettaStone57 said, I'm finding that the carer sometimes has an issue with timing and doesn't do all the things asked of them to do.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask that question? Are you having issues with finding a carer or with your current carer?
yes I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere have private carers not from a care company had one girl for 25 months took on another 2 months ago but she's been in hospital 5 times but difficult finding more help.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It's far more difficult to find carers in a rural area (should have realised from your username!) My mother was in London so it was fairly easy. I hope you find someone reliable.