NHS continuing care and Attendance Allowance

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
I have tried to look for the answer to this question but have failed so far..

Mum awarded continuing care at beginning of August,2 carers three times a day - is she still entitled to Attendance Allowance?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hmm - do you know I'm not sure. If she were in hospital then attendance allowance would be stopped but in the situation you describe I'm not so sure - after all she's not getting 24/7 care. To be honest 3 visits a day doesn't sound like NHS continuing care to me anyway. Who provided the carers? The local authority or the NHS? I think this may be one of the times a call to the society's help line might be wise.

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
is she still entitled to Attendance Allowance?

Yes she is.
Edna gets it to pay for the extras like my brothers petrol when he take her out and any other hidden needs and she get direct payments as well to pay for me to go in daily though I would do it for nothing and spend lots longer there than I'm paid for.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes but direct payments and NHS funding are different. The theory is that if you are receiving full NNS funding then you don't get AA as well, because you can't "double dip" but most people are in a nursing home when that point is reached.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
My first posting

Hi am just new to this, my Mum was diagnosed with Altzheimer's just last week although it didn't really surprise us, she is a lovely wee lady who will be 81 soon and I can still have a laugh with her, my intention is to take each day as it come's and bless the good time's whilst they are still here. I am her main carer, my daughter is brilliant as is my lovely very capable husband, but I still get very angry at the feeling of being "left to get on with it" by my own sibling's BUT enough of that, no negativity thats not what my wee Mammy needs.
Sam I am

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I have tried to look for the answer to this question but have failed so far..

Mum awarded continuing care at beginning of August,2 carers three times a day - is she still entitled to Attendance Allowance?

Our experience;

When full continuing care funding is granted Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance is stopped. You cannot be in receipt of both benefits.

Lionel was granted CC in May. I reported this to the DWP several times. They have finally said his allowance (DLA in his case) must stop and we will have to pay back all monies paid since the date in May.

Hope this helps.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's what I thought Connie. I would question, however, if what Candy's mum is receiving is "full NHS continuing care" when it's only 2 hours a day. It almost sounds like the RNCC.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
You cannot get both .
I agree with Jennifepa it soes not sound like continuing care.
Most are in NH when they get continuing care
Norman

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Most are in NH when they get continuing care

Have to agree Norman, although:

I do have one friend who gets care at home for his wife.
2 carers, three times a day, and a weeks respite for him every six weeks.
This is classed as full CC and, like Lionel, she has had to give up her DLA (another one under 65).

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. From what I could find out, continuing care should not affect Attendance Allowance if the person is still in their own home: it is only if they enter hospital or a "similar institution" (ie a care or nursing home) that it is stopped - and even then it should not be stopped if they are fully self-funded even if they receive MHS Nursing Care Contribution to their fees.

My suggestion would be to contact a Citizen's Advice or the Alzheimer Society Helpline.

The Department of Health's website says for people living in their own home

Your social security benefits are not affected when you receive NHS Continuing Healthcare in your own home.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publication...tions/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_082482