Feeling Sick & Dizzy

Brid John

May 23, 2017
I am 84,have been caring for my wife for three years through Alzheimer's.
She has gone from eating very little soil food, to only drinking liquids.
Complan, homemade soups and Thompsons Slippery Elm are the main ones.
I use a "Nutribullet " to try and get some nutrients into her diet in liquid form.
I have much difficulty in persuading her to two sometimes, three mugs a day.
She permanently feels sick and dizzy, lays down on the settee when she gets out of bed.
Usually that is 14 hrs or more. I am at a loss to know what to do for the best, where do I go to get help.(Advice)
I want to care for her at home, she would not survive in a care home I can't post reply as i have not enough posts yet.

Thank you for comments, it is not vertigo and I have tried every type of medication (overseen our doctor). So I presume it is just a progression of the illness. I live in East Yorkshire we have an excellent care service. I have a sitting support organised, but I manage all other tasks, cooking cleaning washing ect. But the ability to get her to drink sufficient nutritional products worries me.
I just need a health professional to tell me there is nothing more I can do, or advise what I can do better.

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Those symptoms and her reaction to them sound like the time I had Vertigo. A quick word with the GP may bring results for you.

Apart from that it may be just a transition to a later stage of dementia. I note your wish to care for your wife at home, similar to myself, but that shouldn't mean that help can't be provided. A care needs assessment may reap rewards for the both of you. If you click on the following link(PDF line) the Society Factsheet will take you through the system

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Brid John

You sound so worried about your wife and I can understand why. Do you have any help?

I would heed @kareokePete`s advice and consult your GP. Perhaps your wife would benefit from a physical checkup. So much emphasis is on mental health but physical health also deteriorates with dementia.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Many people with dementia are prone to postural hypotension, also called orthostatic hypotension. It means the body doesn't regulate blood pressure properly, especially when going from lying to sitting and sitting to standing. It can make you feel generally unwell and like you want to lie flat. Some people will even put themselves on the floor, as low and flat as they can go. It's a simple test but you need a doctor or nurse who knows what they are about.

I also wonder about middle and inner ear issues, like infections, vertigo, Ménière's disease, and so on. Or medication issues, or just the dementia, as you say.

I am not a physician or medical professional and of course you know your wife best.

It does sound a stressful and upsetting situation and I wonder what sort of help and support you have, and if you wouldn't benefit from an increased care package, more help around the house, and so on. There is nothing easy about being a carer. Best wishes.