Wasp or Lemon

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Lying in bed last night listening to OH snoring and the dog on the bed was running and barking in his sleep I was struggling to nod off, so there I was thinking how horrible the last few weeks have been, thinking how miserable OH always looks even when he's in a good mood, then I suddenly remembered what a friend said years ago about her husband she said he looked liked a bulldog chewing a wasp and another friend said her husband looked like he was sucking a lemon (neither of their husband's have dementia). So I've decided my OH looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Lying in bed last night listening to OH snoring and the dog on the bed was running and barking in his sleep I was struggling to nod off, so there I was thinking how horrible the last few weeks have been, thinking how miserable OH always looks even when he's in a good mood, then I suddenly remembered what a friend said years ago about her husband she said he looked liked a bulldog chewing a wasp and another friend said her husband looked like he was sucking a lemon (neither of their husband's have dementia). So I've decided my OH looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
I have also heard the phrase about a grumpy facial expression as being like a slapped cow's backside! or someone chewing a toffee! :D

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Oh I get so tired of the grumpy expression. It’s standard now with my OH also. Only now, reading these posts, do I realise it’s the same with him, the wasp and lemon look is no longer indicative of his mood. Or not necessarily: he’s pretty grumpy, as to underlying mood, most of the time.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I've heard the expression of being slapped in the face with a wet mackerel, but haven't a clue where it comes from

AliceA

May 27, 2016
:) Hope you got some sleep.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I was motivated to look this up by @PalSal. The Fisher stages of Alzheimer's are very impressive in detail and can be found at

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

The grimacing seems to be very late stage according to this.

My own husband is a clear 6e according to this but is otherwise a pleasant person most of the time with nothing I could call a grimace. He is often unresponsive but more because he can't take in what is happening to him.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad's disapproving dementia grimace at me always reminded me of Rod Hull's emu curling top lip sneer whilst slowly turning to face me...so I always called it his emu face.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I’m sorry you’ve had such horrible few weeks. Sending love xx
My husband has always had a grumpy face, in fact he’s always been grumpy. Now he’s forgotten how to smile. He’s all smiled out!
And grumpy doesn’t cover it. He’s never had much patience, always been most important person! Now it’s all so much worse.
I’m sure you are all saying why put up with him for over 40 years! But I loved him, and still do, just don’t always like him. In fact quite often now I really don’t like him.... but I do still love him, don’t I ...
Love B x

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I’m sorry you’ve had such horrible few weeks. Sending love xx
My husband has always had a grumpy face, in fact he’s always been grumpy. Now he’s forgotten how to smile. He’s all smiled out!
And grumpy doesn’t cover it. He’s never had much patience, always been most important person! Now it’s all so much worse.
I’m sure you are all saying why put up with him for over 40 years! But I loved him, and still do, just don’t always like him. In fact quite often now I really don’t like him.... but I do still love him, don’t I ...
Love B x
Hi, Sad Staffs, yes I wonder why I put up with it for us it is nearly 49 years, but in . the beginning everything was fine but over the years he's just got more miserable always wanting his own way and if he didn't get it he would make life very unpleasant. Lxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Hi, Sad Staffs, yes I wonder why I put up with it for us it is nearly 49 years, but in . the beginning everything was fine but over the years he's just got more miserable always wanting his own way and if he didn't get it he would make life very unpleasant. Lxx
Ditto....ditto....oh yes, ditto.
Love B xx

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I was motivated to look this up by @PalSal. The Fisher stages of Alzheimer's are very impressive in detail and can be found at

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

The grimacing seems to be very late stage according to this.

My own husband is a clear 6e according to this but is otherwise a pleasant person most of the time with nothing I could call a grimace. He is often unresponsive but more because he can't take in what is happening to him.
@marionq I was not sure when it said facial grimacing occurs....I had just remembered reading about it.
I am pretty sure we are somewhere in 6 but where exactly I don't know. Depends on the day. But early rather than later I think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd