Obsessed by puzzles

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
My wife who is now in her fifth year since diagnosis was initially reluctant to take up any sort of puzzle book to exercise her brain. Now I cannot get her away from them, which is good in one way, but is at the expense of any other home-based activity. She will sit doing them happily for hours on end. She cannot follow TV and in spite of having bought half a dozen paperback novels to try, they have not captured her interest either. I have recently purchased The Memory Activity Book to also try, but are there any other successes out there that have stimulated wider reading or watching activities?

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I can understand you wanting to diversify your wife's activities, but I found when you have something that's working well you stick with it for as long as you can. If its keeping your wife happy then enjoy it while you can.

safray

Feb 2, 2017
My wife who is now in her fifth year since diagnosis was initially reluctant to take up any sort of puzzle book to exercise her brain. Now I cannot get her away from them, which is good in one way, but is at the expense of any other home-based activity. She will sit doing them happily for hours on end. She cannot follow TV and in spite of having bought half a dozen paperback novels to try, they have not captured her interest either. I have recently purchased The Memory Activity Book to also try, but are there any other successes out there that have stimulated wider reading or watching activities?
My family has bought their dad, grandfather,jigsaw puzzles, an Ipad & others but I cannot persuade my husband to get involved. He would rather doze in front of the TV. I am very tired trying to encourage him. I cook, he enjoys his meals, he does not enjoy changing his clothes,, difficult to persuade him to shower sometimes, other days he enjoys a shower.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What does it matter whether she does anything else? She has found something occupying her mind that she loves. My OH used to sit happily for hours sorting playing cards into a random system only he was privy to - it was great.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
I can understand you wanting to diversify your wife's activities, but I found when you have something that's working well you stick with it for as long as you can. If its keeping your wife happy then enjoy it while you can.
Good advice, thank you.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
What does it matter whether she does anything else? She has found something occupying her mind that she loves. My OH used to sit happily for hours sorting playing cards into a random system only he was privy to - it was great.
Quite right I guess, an adjustment that I need to make. Thanks.