Dad

LesleyG

Feb 4, 2017
My Dad is 91 next week he has Alzheimer's and mixed Dementia. He had to stop driving at 88 after taking a DVLA test and failing. He is now getting very agitated, and annoyed when I tell him he doesn't have a car anymore, and that he had to stop driving, and we sold the car. He doesn't believe me, or any of the family. I really don't know whether to agree with him and say he has got a car??? Just what to say to calm him.and He keeps getting up and saying he can take me to where he parked the car! Does anyone have any suggestions please?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Arguing with him about whether he has got a car or not wont get you anywhere.
Try telling him that its in the garage having its MOT, or that it broke down and is being repaired.

LesleyG

Feb 4, 2017
Arguing with him about whether he has got a car or not wont get you anywhere.
Try telling him that its in the garage having its MOT, or that it broke down and is being repaired.
Thank you for your reply. We have all tried to explain to Dad about the car. And, I have changed tack and said I will make sure the car is alright. But, it doesnt calm him. He wants to go and see the car!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He wants to go and see the car!
Yes, of course you will take him - but tomorrow, as the garage is shut/the roads are too busy/its too dark,cold,hot to go......... then change the subject;)

Find something that will appease him in the moment and just keep repeating it.

LesleyG

Feb 4, 2017
There is a useful thread with some tips on general communication issues that can be found by clicking this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

There is also a Society Factsheet about the issue of driving and from Pg12 onwards there are some tips that may help you. Just click the link to the PDF for an easy read
Driving and dementia (439)
PDF printable version

I hope these help.
Thank you for your kind help. Dad now wants to go and find the car! But, I will try very hard to use all the information on Communication.