Items Appearing And Disappearing In The Care Home

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
One of the 2 pairs of missing trousers has turned up! I’d just about given up on them but was passing the care home today and thought I’d call and see if they’d found anything. They gave me 1 pair and are still searching for the 2nd pair. Maybe I might yet get them both back!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
One of the 2 pairs of missing trousers has turned up! I’d just about given up on them but was passing the care home today and thought I’d call and see if they’d found anything. They gave me 1 pair and are still searching for the 2nd pair. Maybe I might yet get them both back!

Here's hoping they turn up! I noticed a ladies slipper under a chair at the home today without it's partner!

MaNaAk

VerityH

Aug 21, 2018
I don't mind about all the clothes going missing (though I was really cheesed off to find out they had lost all 3 of my mum's nighties and she was going to bed naked), but 2 sets of hearing aids and 2 pairs of very expensive glasses and a gold wrist watch. The hearing aids are particularly annoying, as my sister had a very stressful couple of visits to the hospital to get the first lot replaced. Care home just don't seem to give a damn. They just roll their eyes and say they'll look, but they never do.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
It’s not just what’s missing, it’s what you find. Mum started out with 12 pairs of knickers, the first time I checked, 10 pairs, but 5 were not hers, so I bought 5 more pairs, sewed on embroidered labels, clearly marked.

This week, 6 pairs, 3 not hers. So another 5 securely labelled. Mum washes her undies herself, and I wonder if soiled ones are being hidden away, or binned by her.

So next visit I’ll search the whole room, problem is mum is a packer up, this week, all except pj’s in plastic bags. Hopefully next week it’ll all be back in the wardrobe.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'll let you all know what I found at the care ho,me tomorrow when I go to celebrate dad's birthday!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou everyone we had a lovely time! I arrived at 5 pm a carer opened the door and there was my happy smiling dad. I went to the dining room where I noticed some fairy lights wishing dad 'Happy Birthday'! We sat down to a lovely buffet and then a huge chocolate birthday cake was brought in and we all sang Happy Birthday to Dad. He also sang Happy Birthday to Dad!!! Before we went to dad's room where he spoke to my brothers and their families and opened cards and a present from me. My brothers will be bringing their presents later.

I had a look around dad's room to see what was needed and as was expected no black jacket or slippers but some mysterious boxer shorts with a seasonal design was in his drawer. I took these to a carer and hopefully they are now with the right owner! They are not in dad's style! We went back downstairs where dad opened a card from the home.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou everyone we had a lovely time! I arrived at 5 pm a carer opened the door and there was my happy smiling dad. I went to the dining room where I noticed some fairy lights wishing dad 'Happy Birthday'! We sat down to a lovely buffet and then a huge chocolate birthday cake was brought in and we all sang Happy Birthday to Dad. He also sang Happy Birthday to Dad!!! Before we went to dad's room where he spoke to my brothers and their families and opened cards and a present from me. My brothers will be bringing their presents later.

I had a look around dad's room to see what was needed and as was expected no black jacket or slippers but some mysterious boxer shorts with a seasonal design was in his drawer. I took these to a carer and hopefully they are now with the right owner! They are not in dad's style! We went back downstairs where dad opened a card from the home.

MaNaAk

Hello again everyone and especially Roly!

Okay today I noticed a strange pyjama top and the reappearance of some strange boxer shorts in dad's drawer! Meanwhile I will be emailing the care home manageress regarding one of dad's fleeces!

MaNaAk

whatproblem

Jan 9, 2018
My Mum's a care home veteran of 4 days' standing and already her clothes have grown legs. A scarf disappeared and returned the next day. Other items are believed to be in the wash, before I had a chance to label them, so they may or may not reappear. A gold watch has gone missing, so I've decided to hang on to her other jewellery for safekeeping. Sounds like we're not alone so I'll just have to learn to live with it.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My Mum's a care home veteran of 4 days' standing and already her clothes have grown legs. A scarf disappeared and returned the next day. Other items are believed to be in the wash, before I had a chance to label them, so they may or may not reappear. A gold watch has gone missing, so I've decided to hang on to her other jewellery for safekeeping. Sounds like we're not alone so I'll just have to learn to live with it.

You should find some other items appearing from no where! Dad would have a fit if he knew his rivals items were turning up in his drawer!

I hope you and your mum are adjusting to your new situation

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Roly,

I think you should know that dad's walking stick has grown it's very own legs! I arrived at the care home to make sure that dad was wearing his long johns before we took him out to lunch and I tried to look for his walking stick. He doesn't really use it that much at the home but he uses it for support outside. Anyway it wasn't in his room so I went to look in the lounge. I couldn't see it anywhere but resident S (first female admirer with no dementia) said that she has noticed that on the odd occasion when he has used it he just left it wherever he happened to be. It wasn't anywhere to be seen and I have a feeling that dad's accomplices have come along and moved it.

MaNaAk

PS: Dad's new slippers seem to have gone to find the walking stick twenty-four hours after they were given to him.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dear Roly,

I think you should know that dad's walking stick has grown it's very own legs! I arrived at the care home to make sure that dad was wearing his long johns before we took him out to lunch and I tried to look for his walking stick. He doesn't really use it that much at the home but he uses it for support outside. Anyway it wasn't in his room so I went to look in the lounge. I couldn't see it anywhere but resident S (first female admirer with no dementia) said that she has noticed that on the odd occasion when he has used it he just left it wherever he happened to be. It wasn't anywhere to be seen and I have a feeling that dad's accomplices have come along and moved it.

MaNaAk

PS: Dad's new slippers seem to have gone to find the walking stick twenty-four hours after they were given to him.
Dad took possession of any walking stick he came across as well as being possessive of his own. Sometimes he carried 3 or 4...yes carried :D had lost the what and why. Often dragged his stick along! He had 2 sticks often had to hunt for them around the home...often hidden behind a curtain chair or on a bookshelf:rolleyes: Hope your dad's things find their way back soon

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad took possession of any walking stick he came across as well as being possessive of his own. Sometimes he carried 3 or 4...yes carried :D had lost the what and why. Often dragged his stick along! He had 2 sticks often had to hunt for them around the home...often hidden behind a curtain chair or on a bookshelf:rolleyes: Hope your dad's things find their way back soon

Thankyou Love.dad.but,

The last time dad's walking stick went for a walk it came back all by itself and as for his slippers my sister-in-law said that they should turn up. At least we know that they couldn't have left the home!

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that walking sticks are very well named - mums was always walking off!
Mum used to leave hers around because she forgot that she needed it, but there was also a lady who had taken a shine to it and if mum left it behind she would take possession of it! When it disappeared I would mention it to the housekeeper or one of the carers and they would look in this ladys room and there it would (usually) be. I once arrived to visit mum and found this lady leaning over mum (who was asleep) with mums walking stick in her hand! I smiled brightly and said "Oh H***** youve found mums walking stick, Ive been looking for that. Well done!" and I took the stick out of her bemused hands.
You have to laugh.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I think that walking sticks are very well named - mums was always walking off!
Mum used to leave hers around because she forgot that she needed it, but there was also a lady who had taken a shine to it and if mum left it behind she would take possession of it! When it disappeared I would mention it to the housekeeper or one of the carers and they would look in this ladys room and there it would (usually) be. I once arrived to visit mum and found this lady leaning over mum (who was asleep) with mums walking stick in her hand! I smiled brightly and said "Oh H***** youve found mums walking stick, Ive been looking for that. Well done!" and I took the stick out of her bemused hands.
You have to laugh.
To prise other residents' sticks out of dad's very determined hands I would try the 'dad thank you for finding my stick' and if that didn't work...I would find something enticing that dad needed to hold and then it was like the con trick...swapping things in his hands and mine so he didn't realise the stick was eventually being hidden behind my back! It always amused me that dad would carry under his arm 4 sticks so knew somewhere deep in his mind he used a stick but not how or how many :D However dad was often found waving a stick at the rightful owner so it did cause problems until his stick awareness lessened.

SKD

I visit Mum fortnightly and every time I go through her wardrobe and return the items she has acquired in the previous two weeks - sadly not all families do the same thing and my Mum's slippers seemed to have gone permanent AWOL. Sadly she has also 'lost' her wedding ring - I didn't even think she could get it off her finger!

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
I visit Mum fortnightly and every time I go through her wardrobe and return the items she has acquired in the previous two weeks - sadly not all families do the same thing and my Mum's slippers seemed to have gone permanent AWOL. Sadly she has also 'lost' her wedding ring - I didn't even think she could get it off her finger!
My OH is not in a care home, still at home with me in an ordinary 2 bed cottage. Nonetheless, hearing aids, glasses, single shoes & socks, teeth, his wallet, watch, etc. etc. disappear on a regular basis, sometimes found, sometimes lost forever. It must be a nightmare for care homes trying to keep track of things when all the residents are similarly afflicted.