Locks

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
Hi
My mum had a stroke she now lacks capacity and lives with me .
She owns her own property . My adult brother lives in her house . I went to get some of mums belongings today only to find he has changed the locks and is in Ibiza . Does he have rights to change the locks on mums house ?

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Don't imagine there is anything illegal. Perhaps he is concerned someone else might have access. Have you tried to phone him?

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
The locks changed when I said I needed the deeds to mums house for the court of protection . Yeah he just replied he can do what he likes as it’s his inheritance !!!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
He's in for a bit of a shock!
As mother is still alive, do you have POA?
I think there would be a case of forcing the lock to allow mother entry. But take legal advice before attempting.

Bod

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
Sadly not . I’m in the process of applying for deputyship .
I recently put a safeguarding on him for financial abuse and neglect so this is just another act of him trying to control my mother and thinking he has more rights than her .

MothersCarer

Nov 13, 2014
Can't help I am afraid as this sounds as if it will sadly need a legal solution. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this at the same time as caring for your mother. You may need a solicitor to act for you to ensure your mother gets here property back.

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
Sorry to hear of yet again a family member abusing their parent, something really needs to be done about the system that classes as an easy option it being a civil matter, ultimately it is theft, the changing of the locks is another sign of the controlling aspect, make sure as others have mentioned any correspondence & write down a timeline of the chain of events, should you choose to go down the legal route know that this is costly both emotionally & financially, if you engage a solicitor ask their rates, also be aware that general discussions whether it be about the time of day or the weather you are on the clock, a letter or email sent will generally cost around £25, in addition make sure you ask for trigger points regarding costs.
All the very best.

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
Thank you .
I know I just don’t understand how some people just end up having no respect for their parent .
I’ve read so many stories of how nothing is done about elder abuse so I’m not very hopeful . I record everything he says to me so I hope that helps . Hopefully they will look into mums accounts .
Someone has to start protecting the elderly surly

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
You could also go the bank that your mum uses & ask them what their policies are in relation to protection of vulnerable adults, try & speak to a manager at the bank of your concerns, a lot easier if you have sort code & account.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do, unfortunately whether it be government or most officials the "head in the sand technique" is a favourite, but you must persevere.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
You could also go the bank that your mum uses & ask them what their policies are in relation to protection of vulnerable adults, try & speak to a manager at the bank of your concerns, a lot easier if you have sort code & account.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do, unfortunately whether it be government or most officials the "head in the sand technique" is a favourite, but you must persevere.
Yes, I registered my poa at mum's bank and was reminded that their duty of care was to protect her money and they would question any suspicious transactions, including direct payments to myself (though so far that was the only way to purchase big things for mum was for me to buy then get a covering cheque!)

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks
The trouble I have with the bank is that mum has a buisness which he is a partner to so not much I can do to freeze thoughs . I have frozen her personal one . She lacks capacity so I don’t understand why they didn’t freeze all accounts until deputyship has been sought .

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks
The trouble I have with the bank is that mum has a buisness which he is a partner to so not much I can do to freeze thoughs . I have frozen her personal one . She lacks capacity so I don’t understand why they didn’t freeze all accounts until deputyship has been sought .
You should still be able to question the bank if you suspect money going out of the business, are you a shareholder ? If you are what percentage of business do you own, having been in a similar situation, I froze both personal & business account, the bank if they know that your mother has not got capacity have a duty of care to shareholders as well, if there have been large requests for money that should trigger an alarm.

Chrissy47

Oct 14, 2018
Yes I’m going to phone my solicitor in the morning . I’m also going to ask him what right they have to put my mums furniture outside and move their own in . They have just taken over like she doesn’t exist anymore . So sad
Thanks for all the advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR