Visitors and distractions

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
We have had a busy couple of weeks. I needed it, as I was so disappointed after he was ugly at the daycare on Sept 26, and the daycare called me after 1.5 hours, and are refusing to take him back again.
With the help of his doctor and the former head of the local Alz association, I have found an alternative place who will try him next week fingers crossed. It is more expensive and farther away. But perhaps it will work out for a while.
So, our son and his family came from Norway for 5 days. On their heels, my friends from Alaska came who then stayed 5 nights and 6 days. We dragged OH everywhere, some of it was very uncomfortable for him, but as long as I was there, he was willing to be there. Some places he was very anxious, we went with children and grandchildren, to a maize labyrinth and pumpkin patch, to the zoo one day, and to Europa Park (too many people he OH very anxious), then walked up a gentle hike with all the children for lunch in the mountains with all the buggies and my wagon for the children to ride in.
We hiked to our favorite place up in the mountains and took our Alaskan friends. I had not hiked with my OH all summer, as I was ill with my leukemia but I am getting better again and felt strong enough. I have paid walkers who walk with OH, three to four times each week, so I was unaware or in denial about the changes in him. I saw clearly, that he is no longer able to keep his balance and his gait is changed. Big changes in the last eight months. No more rough trail hiking. We barely made it to our destination. So, we stayed at the first level and our friends went on up to higher hiking without us. We walked out the second day, on an easier trail. It makes me very sad, as we have been going to this place for the last 30 years and it is clear this was the last trip for him, or at least he can no longer hike in. But he made it! You must hike in, no driving up. I spoke to the owners of the mountain Berggasthaus where we have stayed for 30 years, I think they may make an exception for him, as we have been coming for so long. So, perhaps if we go next year they will pick him up.
But physically he is still pretty good, and I am truly grateful for that.
His mind is totally gone, and he barely speaks to anyone but me. I am not sure if he really knew our son, who we had not seen for over a year. Definitely does not know his children and wife. But being the gentleman he is he was glad to see everyone and somewhere within himself knew that these were people who care for him and love him.
If anyone has any suggestions regarding the daycare and how to get him to stay there---let me know. This daycare is going to let me stay with him the first time. (The other wanted me to leave immediately) So, that may help him. Open to hearing your experiences and suggestions on how to get him to stay.
WANTED TO POST A PHOTO HERE BUT IT WAS REJECTED TOO LARGE IT SAID: ANY SUGGESTIONS?

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
@margherita Yes, I am feeling much better than I did this summer. I am a little more fit again. How are you? Have you had a respite? You could always plan a trip here to Basel, take the train. We have a lovely spare room.
Maybe you could convince your husband to come too? That would be ok for me.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Managed to get the photo in place resized....so you can see where we ended up on our wonderful hike.

Attachments

• resized for sending.JPG
    resized for sending.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 422

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Managed to get the photo in place resized....so you can see where we ended up on our wonderful hike.
:)
What a fantastic place, I could almost smell the air? I rely on an active imagination a lot these days. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s wonderful you managed to get to your favourite place @PalSal . Looks are so deceiving. You both look pictures of health.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
@margherita Yes, I am feeling much better than I did this summer. I am a little more fit again. How are you? Have you had a respite? You could always plan a trip here to Basel, take the train. We have a lovely spare room.
Maybe you could convince your husband to come too? That would be ok for me.
You are so kind and generous, but I can't plan anything currently.
That place in the mountains is as beautiful as your smile